Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 06:17 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Austin, TX is now at 19.
Isn't that high for Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Pac, no disrespect to the homie had someone questionable poses.

Again what amazes me is the back and forth about which city was worse, absolutely o awards given for being the worst city.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
If you want to go by city, LA's peak murder rate in history was still higher than Chicago's.

Additionally, Compton, Inglewood, East LA, Long Beach, all not in the City of LA. When people think of LA hoods most of what they think of is LA County not LA City. That's why I mentioned LA County, which peaked at 2,589 homicides with 9 million people while the Chicago metro area is 9.5 million and doesn't even crack 1,000 homicides.

Chicago gang members also get away with more. They're constantly arrested for gun charges and let back out on the streets quick. In LA between the crackdowns and gang injunctions you can't get away with half of what these Chicago dudes do. And the LA County Jail is the biggest jail system in the world so I don't know what you're talking about saying there's a "way bigger jail in Chicago."

LA has historically been worse than Chicago. City too but especially the overall metro area. A lot worse.

You keep talking like those LA dudes in the 80s/90s could make videos in their bedrooms (lol) and just put it out there. Chicago rappers couldn't do that without Youtube and social media, which didn't exist in the 80s/90s, so how would LA rappers have done it in 1993? They had to go through big labels back then.

I'm not impressed with those Chicago rappers. They flash guns, film in their bedroom all the time. So what? I see them record themselves on their camera phones, skinny jeans and all, fighting like girls (Rico Recklezz) or just talking a lot (King Yella).

Imagine Pac or anyone from Death Row fighting like girls with helicopter arms and skinny jeans? Lol. Or cowering down in a confrontation (600Breezy)? But you think they those dudes in LA were the goofies? Ok now you're just talking just to talk
Most of those rappers (Chicago?) are trash anyway... They flash $20 bills and guns, film on their street block with no lyrical quality. Youtube lowered the bar to a deep low to the point that people who has no business in the music will upload crappy things in hop of making it big.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Pac, no disrespect to the homie had someone questionable poses.

Again what amazes me is the back and forth about which city was worse, absolutely o awards given for being the worst city.
People like to brag about how "though"their city is like it is something to be proud...

Old 07-22-2019, 06:40 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
People like to brag about how "though"their city is like it is something to be proud...
Kudos to the cities that has had transformations and are much safer, but no you don’t get any credit for once having literally crack infested neighborhoods and a high murder rate. It should be a shameful time in your city’s history. It’s just something I’ve noticed on these forums, makes me wonder do they actually live in these different cities.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times
Quote:
Isn't that high for Austin?
Austin averages 30-40 homicides a year. 20 at the end of July means it should be right about the average pace.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:41 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,826 times
St Louis and Chicago I think have the most ruthless and sociopathic killers in the nation- men, women, children, toddlers- no one is spared from their sociopathic violence. They don't seem to give a damn whatsoever who they kill or injure.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Quote:
Most of those rappers (Chicago?) are trash anyway... They flash $20 bills and guns, film on their street block with no lyrical quality. Youtube lowered the bar to a deep low to the point that people who has no business in the music will upload crappy things in hop of making it big.
Black Thought, lead rapper from The Roots, stated that the "game has changed. It's different. The standards are different, the criteria that's taken into consideration in determining validity is different. We're at a point in history where lyricism almost comes last in very many regards."

Anyway, I know the gangs are a little different these days, but do you think something like what took place in the 70s could be done?, where they go in and arrest the gang leaders? Do you think this would have as great of an effect as it did back then?

Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,105,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
What didn't Keef coin? Drill? There were some guys before him but he was the first to blow so he's going to be the face of the genre. I know there were videos with cats wearing flags and colors, throwing gang signs and showing a gun here & there or smoking weed. I don't remember the entire premise of a video being 10 dudes in a room smoking blunts, all holding up glocks with the 50 shot drums and machine guns with red dots in front of the camera and throwing down rival sets in slow motion close ups. That's where Drill took it to a different level. Drill videos are just as fundamental to the style as the beats and lyrics. It's not just being low budget, it's how they move in them videos and how they demo, that was defenitely original.
If you already knew about videos of that nature then it's no different. I already stated that most of those bangers used subliminal message and SOME didn't. People from those hoods knew who they are directed the message, outsiders take it for anyone ( basically out of the loop). Holding weapons, throwing down rivals, slow mo close ups, moving to their rhythm is not original . Multiple hardcore rap videos precede this. The only thing original is their lingo mainly.

Quote:
Drill is dark, relentless and gritty lyrically and stylistically. Taunting the opps, dissing dead homies by name, telling details of murders, keeping score of the dead like it's a sport, calling snitches out by name, mocking dudes that survived head shots, laughing at the homies getting killed and standing over where they died, all that is next level. This hasn't ever been done before. The gang bang music I've heard was all just generic, general talk. The fact that it's so personal becuase they grew up blocks apart introduces a whole different element to it.
Again, Yes it have. Social Media & YouTube followers just catching up to a typical banging in Chicago. With minor exception to the generation taking the unnecessary crap to social media. Near all gangs rivalry are next door neighbors & same goes for cities with Clicks rivalry. Nothing new to human geography.

Quote:
Most of all they are actually killing and dying for real. I don't know what rap scene has this many bodies linked to it. This is again where Drill took it to another level. In my opinion Drill elevated the rap/street connection to where the rappers are actually the shooters and ain't just claiming a city or neighborhood while being extorted by the gangs to put on that facade.
That's the tragedy to it. The only other rap scene with gangbanging galore is L.A rap and it's just as prevalent back then 90s-00s , slowed down since but a quick glance at those videos and you'll see the same pain. It only elevated your opinion of the scene since all the drama is mainly local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright
As for Drill's influence they inspired New York for real. Bobby Shmurda, 6ix9ine, Sheff G, 22G'z etc. There's a ton of NY Drill rappers and they ran with the whole culture. London even got Drillers.
That's NY for you, changing trends like the weather. UK & other foreigners youth caught with the wrong trends from this country period. Always be certain locales on this and plenty of others that don't.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,105,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
St Louis and Chicago I think have the most ruthless and sociopathic killers in the nation- men, women, children, toddlers- no one is spared from their sociopathic violence. They don't seem to give a damn whatsoever who they kill or injure.
Nope. There's sociopathic killers in all metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City