Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 AM

2,599 posts, read 4,663,465 times

Advertisements

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

This is an interesting graph of rates between 1990- 2018. Some cities been stagnant, some with huge spikes and others with nosedives over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 AM

5,840 posts, read 5,644,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Obviously your younger than me. All of that is nothing new except SOCIAL MEDIA. . Guys BEEN doing those type of low budget rap videos, weed smoking, etc back in the 90s & 00s before Keef blew up & became the face of something he nor his click coined. Bangers back then did the same and some cases more subliminal with it. Think about all the rappers then that didn't make it to this present. Drill have influence during it's primetime and others are using the same lingo but other regions don't use it.
Obviously dude is either young or lives in a bubble...

Technology has changed the medium in which people are heard, and how those messages are displayed to people outside of their communities. But cats dissing each other publicly, and there then being retaliatory killings, none of that is new...

We're too caught up in "how" we're hearing these messages now. The Chicago Drill tragedy hasn't reinvented anything, not in the music or the criminal sectors---->again from a criminal standpoint, as you said, this stuff is FAR from original, and musically, drill itself was a regional spin in existent rap subgenres...

We weren't filming ourselves dissing cats in 2004, 2005, 2006 (when I was a 15-17 year old criminal), because social media didn't exist then. We weren't letting the entire world know we had blowers, but "opps" always knew the rivals were strapped, and we were dissing cats and they loved ones back then too. None of this is new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Who cares how many murders L.A. Metro or L.A. County had? You may as well compare California to Illinois. Outside of Chicago/Gary the metro is a bunch of low density suburbs. Long Beach is more than twice the size of anywhere in Chicago's metro. If Detroit was in Chicago's Metro does that go down as Chicago violence? Chicago is half the size of L.A. with over a million less people and got thousands more police and a way bigger jail for a reason.

L.A. aint ever been worse than Chicago, maybe similar but worse? No way, and for the last however long L.A. isn't even in the conversation. As for the rappers, it's easier for L.A. artists to get on than Chicago. L.A.'s had a spotlight for over 30 years now with countless superstars and labels everywhere. Not to mention social media doesn't make it easy to blow up, there's a million independent artists all able to upload music that creates competition and over-saturation to a degree never seen before. Chicago never really even had a big gangster rap scene cause the gangsters looked at rappers like goofy's. This is the first generation where the bangers are rapping and the results are obvious. Banging on Wax was a financed collaborative project and they held auditions. It wasn't some grass roots organic movement like Drill with street dudes making music in a bedroom.
Found another LA hater lmao...

Chicago never had a murder rate beyond 30 per 100,000. At its peak, LA was a more violent city...

What I am NOT saying is that LA is harder, i think it's all relative and you find the same type of individuals in slums across America. But just on that one point, yes, LA has a higher peak homicide rate than Chicago by about four points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Leaving Baton Rouge off for now, but even with their newspaper's totals, they're in the top 10 highest rate right now for sure similar to that of Detroit. Also I wish I could get a good read on Cleveland, but I can't. It's very possibly also in the top 10 of rate, also similar to that of Detroit.

* St. Louis: 104 | 34.34 per 100K
* Jackson, MS: 56 | 34.06 per 100K
* Baltimore: 186 | 30.87 per 100K
* Birmingham: 56 | 26.68 per 100K
* Detroit: 124 | 18.43 per 100K
* New Orleans: 66 | 16.88 per 100K
* Kansas City: 78 | 15.86 per 100K
* Memphis: 97 | 14.91 per 100K
* Richmond, VA: 31 | 13.55 per 100K
* Washington DC: 94 | 13.38 per 100K
* Little Rock: 24 | 12.13 per 100K
* Philadelphia: 182 | 11.49 per 100K
* Cincinnati: 33 | 10.91 per 100K
* Atlanta: 51 | 10.24 per 100K
* Newark, NJ: 28 | 9.93 per 100K
* Oakland: 42 | 9.79 per 100K
* Chicago: 262 | 9.68 per 100K
* Dallas: 119 | 8.85 per 100K
* Bakersfield: 33 | 8.6 per 100K
* Indianapolis: 74 | 8.53 per 100K
* Shreveport, LA: 16 | 8.47 per 100K
* Jacksonville: 73 | 8.08 per 100K
* Louisville: 49 | 7.9 per 100K
* Milwaukee: 46 | 7.77 per 100K
* Stockton, CA: 24 | 7.71 per 100K
* Greensboro, NC: 21 | 7.13 per 100K
* Pittsburgh: 21 | 6.98 per 100K
* Knoxville, TN: 13 | 6.93 per 100K
* Toledo: 19 | 6.91 per 100K
* Charlotte: 60 | 6.88 per 100K
* Tucson, AZ: 37 | 6.78 per 100K
* Tulsa: 27 | 6.74 per 100K (thru May)
* Norfolk, VA: 16 | 6.56 per 100K
* Cleveland: 25 | 6.51 per 100K
* Anchorage: 18 | 6.17 per 100K
* Columbus, OH: 55 | 6.16 per 100K
* Albuquerque: 32 | 5.71 per 100K
* Houston: 115 | 4.95 per 100K
* Ft. Lauderdale, FL: 9 | 4.93 per 100K
* Corpus Christi: 15 | 4.59 per 100K
* Ft. Wayne, IN: 12 | 4.48 per 100K
* Denver: 32 | 4.47 per 100K
* Winston-Salem, NC: 11 | 4.47 per 100K
* Minneapolis: 18 | 4.23 per 100K
* Virginia Beach: 19 | 4.22 per 100K
* St. Paul: 13 | 4.22 per 100K
* Phoenix: 68 | 4.1 per 100K
* Providence: 7 | 3.9 per 100K
* Wichita: 15 | 3.85 per 100K
* Fresno: 20 | 3.77 per 100K
* Lexington, KY: 12 | 3.71 per 100K
* Fort Worth, TX: 32 | 3.58 per 100K
* Orlando: 10 | 3.5 per 100K
* Raleigh: 16 | 3.41 per 100K
* Winnipeg: 24 | 3.4 per 100K
* Los Angeles: 134 | 3.36 per 100K
* Boston: 23 | 3.31 per 100K
* Las Vegas Metropolitan: 46 | 2.83 per 100K
* Modesto, CA: 6 | 2.79 per 100K
* Long Beach, CA: 13 | 2.78 per 100K
* San Antonio: 39 | 2.55 per 100K
* Portland: 15 | 2.3 per 100K
* San Jose: 21 | 2.04 per 100K
* San Francisco: 18 | 2.04 per 100K
* Austin: 19 | 1.97 per 100K
* New York City: 154 | 1.83 per 100K
* Oklahoma City: 11 | 1.69 per 100K
* Omaha: 6 | 1.28 per 100K
* Chesapeake, VA: 3 | 1.24 per 100K
* Toronto: 34 | 1.24 per 100K
* Lubbock, TX: 3 | 1.17 per 100K
* Anaheim, CA: 4 | 1.14 per 100K
* San Diego: 15 | 1.05 per 100K
* Santa Ana, CA: 3 | 0.9 per 100K
* Seattle: 6 | 0.81 per 100K
* Madison, WI: 2 | 0.78 per 100K
* Chula Vista, CA: 2 | 0.74 per 100K
* Montreal: 8 | 0.47 per 100K
* Honolulu (Oahu): 4 | 0.4 per 100K
* Lincoln, NE: 0 | 0 per 100K
* Plano, TX: 0 | 0 per 100K
Man, you're wrong alot lmao...

Just to help clean you up a bit, Richmond is at 35, Baton Rouge is at 40, Cleveland is at 54, New Orleans is at 65, etc etc etc...

If you tell me how you do that thing, where you can highlight the link to some city's figures, I can post said links. Alot of your figures are accurate but you swing and miss a ton lmao...

Old 07-25-2019, 11:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,219,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Just to help clean you up a bit, Richmond is at 35, Baton Rouge is at 40, Cleveland is at 54, New Orleans is at 65, etc etc etc...

If you tell me how you do that thing, where you can highlight the link to some city's figures, I can post said links. Alot of your figures are accurate but you swing and miss a ton lmao...
Swing and miss a lot? No, actually he's incredibly accurate and the posted links are right there. He's going off the official amounts released by police departments, etc. If Richmond is at 35 then inform everyone that with published stats. If you find Baton Rouge at 40 and Cleveland at 54 then post your backup, because the only reason he didn't is because what was out there wasn't solid. New Orleans is at what he said it was based on the links. Those links are updated every day in some cases, his initial post was as of a point in time. Of course it's going to change.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:30 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,526,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
Always seems odd to me how in the last 4ish years Chicago has become the focal-point city when pointing out high murder rate. Before that Chicago was just another city lumped together with LA, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Washington DC as being high crime.

Somehow Chicago is now in a "league of its own" even though it's not at all true.
One word. Trump. Since 2015 Chicago is the Republican Party's go-to "proof" that democrats can't run a city. They could've pointed at any of those cities and said the same thing. Everyone seemed to forget about Baltimore a few months after the Freddie Gray riots, and that poor city needs the county's attention. St Louis too.

I get so helplessly irritated everytime on youtube I see a video about Chicago and people are like "oh, chicago is so bad,prayers for chicago, they go through so much, I hope it gets better they deserve it", that's the only city that gets attention now and funny enough, people on the left are taking the right's bait and believe Chicago is as bad as they say it is. It sounds like a political tactic honestly.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Swing and miss a lot? No, actually he's incredibly accurate and the posted links are right there. He's going off the official amounts released by police departments, etc. If Richmond is at 35 then inform everyone that with published stats. If you find Baton Rouge at 40 and Cleveland at 54 then post your backup, because the only reason he didn't is because what was out there wasn't solid. New Orleans is at what he said it was based on the links. Those links are updated every day in some cases, his initial post was as of a point in time. Of course it's going to change.
Now that you've taken the time to grace everyone with your Captain Save-A-Ho bit, no, he isn't incredibly accurate. He's been doing this for years and is often out of wack and has been called out about his inaccuracies by other posters...

Furthermore, his figures can't go DOWN, as is the case with New Orleans, because time has passed. The body count doesn't decrease, Smart Guy...

https://public.tableau.com/profile/n...ableofContents

The above link is posted by NOPD and updated weekly, he clearly wasn't using the police department's number when he said Nola had 66 a week ago. You tried defending him, but you missed, jackass...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...d37251bc1.html

The above link is posted by the main media source in Baton Rouge. He has a subjective reason for not using the medusa source, which is his own prerogative, and makes no sense, because if his work was really integral he'd watch the media reports out of BR for a week, two weeks, and see there is no way BR has 100000 murders this year...

If you click the square on the upper left side of the map, it lists each homicide individually and chronologically, and you'll see that 40 of the 41 homicides in East Baton Rouge Parish this year were in the city of Baton Rouge....

He does have the link to RPD in Richmond, but as someone with a vested interest in happenings in Rich, that website consistently lags behind with updating information. The RTD kept a Homicide Report active until about a year to a year and a half ago, that was more consistently updated and gave more information. Now, I have no problem if someone says they'll go with the listed police figures instead of my own anecdotal info, but again, I have a vested interest in Richmomd and am all over several media platforms that cover news in Richmond, and have done so for years. I know what I'm talking about here....

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...b05d73959.html

( Sent from RTD )

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...ed21c5631.html

( Sent from RTD )

These two above links illustrate that there has been two murders in Rich in the last week, and yet, if you change the date on the RPD site from 7/18 to today, they are only accounting for one murder. This is a common occurrence with them, and then you look back in a month and the number on their site will jump because now they e added the other three or however many murders they didn't originally log...

The integrity of any posting, like what we do here is basically amateur journalism, is to have more than once source. Some sources are more easily verified than others, but if your work is to be taken seriously, you scour the field for the info you look for. How the hell do you list Cleveland at 25 in late July, which is a lower figure than he posted for Cleveland in early July/late June, and yet there isn't a single report from any media outlet in Cleveland about a massive reduction in violent crime and homicides?

He does a good job, but your friend is far from "incredibly" accurate and while you may not have noticed it or been privy to it, other posters for sure besides myself, have pointed out his inaccuracies in the past. Your man can defend himself, I dont think he needs you e-caping for him...

Last edited by murksiderock; 07-25-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 07:54 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,107,822 times
Jackson had a higher rate than both L.A & Chicago.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
Quote:

Of the links I post, 34 are directly to official city websites or official police departments and are official numbers at the time of retrieval. Another 14 are to newspapers who have the entire list accessible of homicides. Only 6 of them come from figures posted in a newspaper article. Many of the rest go to crime mapping websites, which numerous police department websites link to. For example: Houston, TX (because their transactional data is only through May, but I may start using that instead soon and note it's behind)--> https://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/...imeReports.htm. I prefer not to use these but when a police department links to them and has no other options, I'll use it.

A few things to consider:

1) Self defense, negligible homicides, etc are not counted as actual homicides. The issue with going through the newspaper is that they will label anything that appears to be a homicide right away as such, even if there's been no official police investigation completed. Police departments wait until an investigation has completed to include them in their official numbers. Jacksonville for example is really clear about this on their data site and make it known what the number of cleared homicides are versus ones still pending investigation. In this regard, newspapers can be a bit lax on their discipline of this and I prefer not to use them for this reason if I don't have to.

2) The number of crimes reported to the FBI that you will see in your official statistics later via fbi.gov is reported directly from the police departments of the cities. The UCR is a guideline of crime reporting that everyone abides by - that's why self defense homicides aren't counted for any city in the official numbers for example. It doesn't matter what the newspaper says the number is at the end of the day. What matters is what the police department reports to the FBI. Therefore, the number reported by a police department in the realm of being official will be moreso than a newspaper.

3) The data that I am posting represents what the source said at the time of the retrieval. If I posted something 2 days ago, and you read it 2 days later, and there were 3 homicides in between that time, then yes of course my number could be behind by a few. It's not meant to magically be a 100% accurate number at the time you're reading it. I'll try and include with every city in the future when the data was actually published and maybe there will be more understanding of the time slice the data actually represents.

4) My Cleveland number wasn't supposed to be included at all in the list. If you noticed, the first paragraph of my post said I wasn't including it - but it was in the list I just realized. Why was it then? I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of this where I can easily generate the rates based on the homicide count and 2018 population. I don't have a good Cleveland source so I stopped updating it and thought I deleted it from that workbook, but I didn't and did not realize I accidentally included it in the post until now. That wasn't meant to be on there at all - it was an error. I'm human.

Do you have a source for Cleveland? I would love to see it. Their police department in their statistics does not include homicide anymore for some reason. If I have a source that actually updates daily, weekly, or every month then it would be awesome.

Richmond's number for me comes directly from the Richmond Police Department Crime Incident Information Center which is directly from the City of Richmond website. Click on Agree at the bottom of the page and you'll get the link I post every single time here--> http://www.richmondgov.com/Police/Cr...identInfo.aspx

Perhaps I should post when the source says it was last updated. For example, some of the official sources only publish once a week, which means that the numbers for LA, NYC, Chicago, etc in my last post are through 7/13 or 7/14 and not through the day of posting. That might help clear some confusion on some numbers. Also, the data source for Richmond could be a few days behind or the newspapers you go to have the wrong number based on what I posted above. Hopefully you realize that the numbers are retrieved at the time of posting and I try and go with the official number if it's available.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-25-2019 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Of the links I post, 34 are directly to official city websites or official police departments and are official numbers at the time of retrieval. Another 14 are to newspapers who have the entire list accessible of homicides. Only 6 of them come from figures posted in a newspaper article. Many of the rest go to crime mapping websites, which numerous police department websites link to. For example: Houston, TX (because their transactional data is only through May, but I may start using that instead soon and note it's behind)--> https://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/...imeReports.htm. I prefer not to use these but when a police department links to them and has no other options, I'll use it.

A few things to consider:

1) Self defense, negligible homicides, etc are not counted as actual homicides. The issue with going through the newspaper is that they will label anything that appears to be a homicide right away as such, even if there's been no official police investigation completed. Police departments wait until an investigation has completed to include them in their official numbers. Jacksonville for example is really clear about this on their data site and make it known what the number of cleared homicides are versus ones still pending investigation. In this regard, newspapers can be a bit lax on their discipline of this and I prefer not to use them for this reason if I don't have to.

2) The number of crimes reported to the FBI that you will see in your official statistics later via fbi.gov is reported directly from the police departments of the cities. The UCR is a guideline of crime reporting that everyone abides by - that's why self defense homicides aren't counted for any city in the official numbers for example. It doesn't matter what the newspaper says the number is at the end of the day. What matters is what the police department reports to the FBI. Therefore, the number reported by a police department in the realm of being official will be moreso than a newspaper.

3) The data that I am posting represents what the source said at the time of the retrieval. If I posted something 2 days ago, and you read it 2 days later, and there were 3 homicides in between that time, then yes of course my number could be behind by a few. It's not meant to magically be a 100% accurate number at the time you're reading it. I'll try and include with every city in the future when the data was actually published and maybe there will be more understanding of the time slice the data actually represents.

4) My Cleveland number wasn't supposed to be included at all in the list. If you noticed, the first paragraph of my post said I wasn't including it - but it was in the list I just realized. Why was it then? I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of this where I can easily generate the rates based on the homicide count and 2018 population. I don't have a good Cleveland source so I stopped updating it and thought I deleted it from that workbook, but I didn't and did not realize I accidentally included it in the post until now. That wasn't meant to be on there at all - it was an error. I'm human.

Do you have a source for Cleveland? I would love to see it. Their police department in their statistics does not include homicide anymore for some reason. If I have a source that actually updates daily, weekly, or every month then it would be awesome.

Richmond's number for me comes directly from the Richmond Police Department Crime Incident Information Center which is directly from the City of Richmond website. Click on Agree at the bottom of the page and you'll get the link I post every single time here--> http://www.richmondgov.com/Police/Cr...identInfo.aspx

Perhaps I should post when the source says it was last updated. For example, some of the official sources only publish once a week, which means that the numbers for LA, NYC, Chicago, etc in my last post are through 7/13 or 7/14 and not through the day of posting. That might help clear some confusion on some numbers. Also, the data source for Richmond could be a few days behind or the newspapers you go to have the wrong number based on what I posted above. Hopefully you realize that the numbers are retrieved at the time of posting and I try and go with the official number if it's available.
I was ribbing you more than anything else, hence my "LOL" speech. I do think you do a good job, your research complements my own and I've been able to glean information that you have had at times that I previously didn't. The other guy took my ribbing you personally, but it wasn't personal!

We have a similar approach to how we research...

Old 07-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Jackson had a higher rate than both L.A & Chicago.
Okay, and? Richmond was higher than Jackson lol...

This isn't a pissing contest, Reef! My reasons for chronicling murder rates in American cities isn't to justify one city as harder than another, and the only reason I spoke on LA and Chicago is because IronWright erroneously said LA was never worse than Chicago. I just fact checked him, but I really don't care which city was worse...

You've been around awhile, there is a culture of murder and violence in America that transcends any particular place. Sure, some cities are safer or more violent than others, but that firearm and murder culture exists in disenfranchised, and even privileged areas, everywhere in The States. Certain social factors impact some places more than others, but when you've been around, you realize the overwhelming majority of the same stuff happens everywhere!

Old 07-26-2019, 10:40 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,107,822 times
Quote:
Okay, and? Richmond was higher than Jackson lol...

This isn't a pissing contest, Reef! My reasons for chronicling murder rates in American cities isn't to justify one city as harder than another, and the only reason I spoke on LA and Chicago is because IronWright erroneously said LA was never worse than Chicago. I just fact checked him, but I really don't care which city was worse...

You've been around awhile, there is a culture of murder and violence in America that transcends any particular place. Sure, some cities are safer or more violent than others, but that firearm and murder culture exists in disenfranchised, and even privileged areas, everywhere in The States. Certain social factors impact some places more than others, but when you've been around, you realize the overwhelming majority of the same stuff happens everywhere!
That was 1 outlier year! Jackson's rate have been higher than the Rich , Jackson been going hard than most of these cities, You can't be slippin on the West/South/Northside, you just don't know Murk.....LoL. I posted that higher rate pissing contest as what it is...shallow comparison diatribe the internet adore so closely.

Overall, You hit the nail on the head. Same stuff, different locale. Same attitudes, drama, fallouts with the same resulting tragedies. I mentioned before in regards to Chicago and this can be applied nationwide; we're basically keeping track of cycles of retailations/arguments (plurality or more) involving the same parties from previous years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City