Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

I live in Miami Beach and can tell you that you it's a great urban lifestyle if you live on its west side. Everyone tells the story of tourists because they only think of it as being Ocean Drive, Collins Ave., and Washington Avenue. Frankly, I rarely go to those places and have no regrets whatsoever of choosing Miami Beach. From Meridian Ave. westward, the scene in South Beach is way more about the locals with nearly everyone's needs in daily life offered there. This includes a myriad of grocery stores, (Trader Joe's opens this year as well), movies, shopping, restaurants, services, etc. There's a robust bikeshare presence that also connects to Miami proper for the times that you don't want to walk. There's also a free south beach trolley service that runs clockwise and counterclockwise loops through South Beach.
When I want to go downtown, I take the Citibike to Miami across the Venetian Causeway on green painted bike lanes to connect to the free Metromover system that takes me through downtown and Brickell. From the free Metromover system, I rarely hop the Metrorail to southward toward coconut grove and Dadeland for standard mall shopping. I also take Citibike to Wynwood for its emerging creative scene and chill restaurants, bars, and events on occasion.
For 90 grand, you can live a pretty decent life in Miami or Miami Beach, and you will also immediately add to your take home pay because Florida doesn't have an income tax. That adds several thousand a year to your purchasing power.
As for weather, the OP probably knows it well since he's been many, many times to Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:55 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Yes...no state income tax as well as lower utilities (even if you run the AC all day) and lower car registration fees...you do give some of the savings back, however, via higher property taxes, if you own or rent a condo in a high rise HOA fees are a bit higher, highway tolls and you have to pay to park almost everywhere...still come out ahead, however.

Besides the bay side of SoBe, most of mid Beach and North Beach, up to Bal Harbour and beyond, is more locals than tourists as well.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
I definitely don't mean that ALL of Miami Beach is touristy. Just, overall, it's more touristy than DTLA. Not many tourists go to DTLA.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:34 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
I am starting to reconsider Miami. I just spent four days in SoFla and I really just like the vibe down there. It really is my style.

I think in May I will make my final decision. I will be spending two weeks in LA in May and see how I feel about it.

I think SD is out of the picture. I love it, but I think I will get bored. I do love Miami, always have. LA I didn't like upon first visit, but that was 10 years ago, and I only saw the touristy parts. So it will be interesting to see how it's changed and how much I like it this time around.

Last edited by frimpter928; 02-19-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 01:38 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Just avoid Memorial Day weekend in SoBe if you can....Google Urban Weekend...not as bad as some make it out to be but many locals flee town that weekend.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:42 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Just avoid Memorial Day weekend in SoBe if you can....Google Urban Weekend...not as bad as some make it out to be but many locals flee town that weekend.
Oh I have heard and seen videos of it. That's okay I would do one of two things either head back to Chicago that weekend or go visit my dad up in Jupiter. That's a four-day weekend for me at work, regardless of the Urban Weekend I would still head out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City