Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 9,340 times

Advertisements

With my business I can live anywhere. My only family living is a daughter out in college in San Diego. I am originally from Chicago but hate the cold. Have a pretty decent budget to spend. Looking for the safest place to live with the nicest people. Ideally somewhere with nice single ladies. I have lived briefly in Scottsdale, but am open to relocation anywhere. Other thoughts are welcome. Down to earth, smart, somewhat conservative guy.
I don’t like humidity or hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
San Diego near your daughter seems like an obvious choice.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM

811 posts, read 625,066 times
I always find it fascinating when people refer to themselves as divorced rather than just single. Why did you purposefully choose to say that in both of your threads? Some might interpret divorced as "loser" or "damaged goods". Sorry; just being honest.

I'm betting that you're not in sales?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM

640 posts, read 960,554 times
I agree with Detroit; unless you are really in love with the desert, I’d be looking in San Diego and probably actually even up in Laguna Beach. Unless you are looking for a giant house, you will find a good condo or small house in your range and near the beach. And I would think being close to your daughter would be a bonus.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I always find it fascinating when people refer to themselves as divorced rather than just single. Why did you purposefully choose to say that in both of your threads? Some might interpret divorced as "loser" or "damaged goods". Sorry; just being honest.

Most will not pass judgement such as this, OP. Many people get divorced for a plethora of reasons and most are sensible enough to know that that doesn’t make one a loser. Best of luck with the move.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,190,965 times
There are a lot of mid-westerners in Scottsdale, many from Chicago, So you won't be alone here. And I can tell you that there are a lot of single women in Scottsdale as well. If that is important.

Now the question is, What do you like to do for recreation? Golf, tennis, hiking, biking, etc? Like sports? We have major league teams (some people will debate that). We are home to the Cubs and Sox for spring baseball. When the Bears come to town there are more Bear fans at the game than Cardinal fans.

There is plenty of taste of Chicago dining options including Portillos, Lou Malnatis, Spinatos, Giordanos, etc. Soon to be White Castle.

I think you will fit in well here.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,332,561 times
Quote:

And saying single as opposed to divorced might make some wonder why they are single at 50. Did no one want them?

Also, saying divorced as opposed to single leaves an opening to mention your children.

In this day and age, there wouldn't be many who would blink an eye at a person's being divorced.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,226,743 times
Quote:

Interesting point. But look at it another way... If someone is single and 55 (never married), some people might think they are "damaged goods". Thinking back when I read his two posts, nothing popped into my head other than he is looking for that someone to date and he listed his status. My mind didn't wonder a bit.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,226,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
San Diego near your daughter seems like an obvious choice.
Our kids left town to get away from mom and dad to be more on their own. Also, his daughter is simply going to college in San Diego. So to put your roots into San Diego specifically for the balance of her college years and (possibly) come into her space isn't what I would recommend. He wants to be close enough. No different than my reason to be in PHX (I know our kids will both be on the west coast long term). If they were going to be on the east coast, I would have bought in FL.

Forgetting that for a moment, he has a couple of million for a home to spend after a divorce. My guess is he is a smart guy and took into account that there are trade-offs in play. Hence, he wants to know about a good area to buy in around PHX for his situation and budget.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 9,340 times
Thanks all. Interesting perspective on divorce. I’m not ashamed of it, so I have never even given it a second thought. I guess I’m not looking to sell myself...I am who I am, if I meet somebody and we click....that’s great. I did live in North Scottsdale for a year, and liked it, But my subdivision had no single people. Although I was considering Austin, I am probably coming back to AZ, either North Scottsdale or right at Scottsdale Rd and Indian Bend Road, in what is a Paradise Valley address, but is one block away from Scottsdale. I am looking at the Azure development by Shea homes. It is right next to the new Ritz. I like visiting my daughter. But California has lots of traffic, high taxes, and super expensive real estate. My daughter loves it, but I am more Midwestern, which is why I like AZ. Just want to make sure that area down by Paradise Valley isn’t too stuffy. But it’s right on the border so I don’t think it’s the real Paradise Valley feel. I’m living in Las Vegas right now...too much crime and crazy people for my taste. Thanks to everybody who took time to offer their perspective.

Last edited by jc17760; 06-13-2019 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Missed a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: