Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Actually there is ...The Heights, Washington Ave, and lower Westheimer.. I live in metro DFW and am a Houston native.
But none of those Houston corridors are as cohesive and pedestrian friendly. That’s what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
But none of those Houston corridors are as cohesive and pedestrian friendly. That’s what I was referring to.
Yeah, I have to agree with this.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
All about the people and the venues man. That's what Houston is better at imo. Agreed that Dallas has more cohesive entertainment districts though.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
I thought it was about which is cooler. Lots of urban and pedestrian friendly places out there that I probably wouldn't describe as cool. Maybe "neat".

Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM

But the experience on the streets can make an area more vibrant and exciting. That creates a whole package. Like Deep Ellum, Cedar Springs, Lower Greenville, etc. in Dallas.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
But the experience on the streets can make an area more vibrant and exciting. That creates a whole package. Like Deep Ellum, Cedar Springs, Lower Greenville, etc. in Dallas.
Not if the people aren't vibrant or exciting.

Both cities are mostly the same, but I have to agree with Mr. Clutch and say it's the people that gives Houston an edge in terms of being cool. Parking lots can be every bit as fun as any nightlife district can be. Just my two cents.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Not if the people aren't vibrant or exciting.

Both cities are mostly the same, but I have to agree with Mr. Clutch and say it's the people that gives Houston an edge in terms of being cool. Parking lots can be every bit as fun as any nightlife district can be. Just my two cents.
I guess it just depends on the crowd a person likes. Its hard to say either Dallas or Houston is cooler than the other. Nightlife in Dallas is much more image/fashion conscious but the LGBT nightlife there blows anything Houston has out of the water. Houston on the other hand is more laid back its a come as you are kind of place. People are less concerned with details here.

I found the nightlife in Dallas more intense than Houston. The thing I remember most about Dallas nightlife was that it was almost a competition to see who could stay out the latest fueled by cocaine. Here, people just go home when they please.

Id honestly say that as a resident, I prefer Houston's nightlife. As a visitor, Id probably prefer Dallas'. Just my opinion.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I guess it just depends on the crowd a person likes. Its hard to say either Dallas or Houston is cooler than the other. Nightlife in Dallas is much more image/fashion conscious but the LGBT nightlife there blows anything Houston has out of the water. Houston on the other hand is more laid back its a come as you are kind of place. People are less concerned with details here.

I found the nightlife in Dallas more intense than Houston. The thing I remember most about Dallas nightlife was that it was almost a competition to see who could stay out the latest fueled by cocaine. Here, people just go home when they please.

Id honestly say that as a resident, I prefer Houston's nightlife. As a visitor, Id probably prefer Dallas'. Just my opinion.
Yeah see having a good time turned into an all out competition is about the opposite of cool. Exactly why I don't go out in Miami Beach. Not just because I'm always broke.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM

I personally find it fun to go to some neighborhoods and walk around and people watch. Especially in areas like Deep Ellum or the Strip in Cedar Springs around here. I just haven’t found that same experience when I’ve been to Houston.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,890 times
Default Rice village?? Helloooooo

I guess you've never heard of Rice Village. You should check it out the next time your in Houston. Or maybe you never heard of the museum district either.

Quote:
I personally find it fun to go to some neighborhoods and walk around and people watch. Especially in areas like Deep Ellum or the Strip in Cedar Springs around here. I just haven’t found that same experience when I’ve been to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City