Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Miami is ahead of Dallas and Houston, Not Atlanta anymore. You can not downplay media here, not we do not have the history in film of LA or NY, but in the here and now, Atlanta is becoming that city. Add to that the music pop stars based out of here and reppin it all day, every day. It’s tough to compete with.

By popularity, I mean a common city name in pop culture, not visitation per se which can be motivated by lots of things.

You have the ATL movie with T.I., the Atlanta show series by Donald Glover (which just one an Emmy ), real housewives, love and hip-hop,Walking Dead, Stranger things, Chrissley knows Best and the list goes on.

The song welcome to Atlanta by Luda is ingrained into this generation’s head.

Atlanta celebrities:

T.I.
Ludacris
Tyler Perry
OutKast
Killer Mike (who is hot on the Pop-political side of things)
And more.

Top it off, when highly anticipated Bad Boys for life started filming they were spotted and looking for talent in... Atlanta. Black Panther is heavily associated with Atlanta. Night School in Atlanta. What Men Want in Atlanta.

50 cent is shooting his new BMF movie here currently.

This is leaving out touristy Atlanta which is predicated on MLK (a figure almost as well-known as Jesus), Coke, CNN, and so on.

You don’t have to like any of these things, but black culture and hip-hop are all-encompassing in pop culture. Ppl from all walks of life participate in it, especially with social media how it is. Entertainers and their followers share these things online constantly. Other genre’s aren’t as universal in their reach.

When people think of Houston and Dallas (or Texas in general), it’s almost always in the area of the job market or oil, probably more important than anything... but that’s not generally what is thought of as popular.

Atlanta’s entertainment culture is just too large and diverse for these two to keep up. However, I will concede that correction on population, I still say Dallas is at the top in this category.

So you're saying Atlanta is more popular in regards to media, ie shows being filmed there. I can agree with that. That's not the only thing that defines popularity though and that's all I was saying there.

As far as celebrities go, Houston has its fair share. The biggest pop star out right now (Drake) has very strong ties to Houston. Other than Toronto, Houston is the city most associated with Drake and where he was discovered. Then you have Travis Scott and of course Beyonce. J Prince can walk into any of the top celebrities homes and get respect. Rap-A-Lot was very influential and his ties run deep. Houston produces plenty of pop celebrities and I'd say Houston urban culture as been more influential than Atlanta's in regards to music. Drake is partly responsible for bringing the Houston sound back, which evolved from the Houston drug culture which also (unfortunately) went mainstream. This happened back in 2008-09 and that sound has been prevalent throughout hip-hop/pop music since. Atlanta's contribution has mostly been dance moves, but Dallas has been getting in there too ever since "the dougie".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas is ahead in both population and GDP and at the end of the day these are the two most important indicators to judge a region success.

To be honest on an economic level Dallas and Houston are in a different tier when compared to Atlanta.
Well since there’s such a huge gap in between 385, 490, and 535; we should just go ahead and say that there’s a huge gap between 5.8, 6.8, and 7.3.

So we shouldn’t even begin to compare Atlanta to Houston and Dallas, right? There is no point. Gotcha

And just out of curiosity, who are Dallas’ and Houston’s economic peers?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
And just out of curiosity, who are Dallas’ and Houston’s economic peers?
Each other.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Not everyone in the US is into the music that, apparently, comes out of Atlanta. That's a fairly specific age group, and there are a LOT of us, who couldn't care less about that. People on this Forum are always talking about that, but maybe that's pretty much all Atlanta has to talk about? Anyway, so not a big deal, at least to anyone I know.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not everyone in the US is into the music that, apparently, comes out of Atlanta. That's a fairly specific age group, and there are a LOT of us, who couldn't care less about that. People on this Forum are always talking about that, but maybe that's pretty much all Atlanta has to talk about? Anyway, so not a big deal, at least to anyone I know.
Maybe you don't care for it, but they are among the most consumed genres in the world and are extremely mainstream. It might not be your music of choice, but it's everywhere.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM

307 posts, read 330,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe you don't care for it, but they are among the most consumed genres in the world and are extremely mainstream. It might not be your music of choice, but it's everywhere.
Do you honestly believe rap music has raised Atlanta's brand image throughout the world? Hey I like rap music too but the whole thing is kinda like an inside joke that Atlanta apparently doesn't get. Those lyrics damage young people much more than they inspire them, and any sensible person can see that.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
So you're saying Atlanta is more popular in regards to media, ie shows being filmed there. I can agree with that. That's not the only thing that defines popularity though and that's all I was saying there.

As far as celebrities go, Houston has its fair share. The biggest pop star out right now (Drake) has very strong ties to Houston. Other than Toronto, Houston is the city most associated with Drake and where he was discovered. Then you have Travis Scott and of course Beyonce. J Prince can walk into any of the top celebrities homes and get respect. Rap-A-Lot was very influential and his ties run deep. Houston produces plenty of pop celebrities and I'd say Houston urban culture as been more influential than Atlanta's in regards to music. Drake is partly responsible for bringing the Houston sound back, which evolved from the Houston drug culture which also (unfortunately) went mainstream. This happened back in 2008-09 and that sound has been prevalent throughout hip-hop/pop music since. Atlanta's contribution has mostly been dance moves, but Dallas has been getting in there too ever since "the dougie".
No. You don’t want to go this route.

Beyoncé is Houston’s biggest celebrity, I give you that. She doesn’t live there, nor has she since her Destiny’s Child days. Heck, in fact, not one DC3 member lives in Texas. And Letoya Luckett, I won’t bother to tell you where she lives these days. Drake is Toronto, Canada bone and raised. He doesn’t live there, he’s in Los Angeles with Beyoncé. Drake with Houston is like John Mayer with Atlanta. John Mayer made a song: Why Georgia. Drake made a song: HoustAtlantaVegas; there is no difference. Or maybe Drake with Houston is like Justin Bieber with Atlanta since he got his start in Atlanta and still has ties to the city, but lives elsewhere. I guess you can decide.

Houston nor Texas in general can hold a candle to Atlanta in terms of media popularity. Folks try to sleep on the fact that reality TV thrives in Atlanta. Love and Hip Hop, Real Housewives, Married to Medicine, TI and Tiny Family Hustle, and all of the spin off shows associated with such, on top of primerime TV shows like The Walking Deadon top of the world broadcasting studios that call Atlanta home. Nevermind mentioning some of these shows were tried in Texas and failed. We won’t even get started on Hollywood filming in GA.

Folks in 2019 want to try to down play or trivialize reality TV, but a decade ago when California had it on lock, it was the greatest guilty pleasure, ever. I’m so sorry that The Real Housewives of Atlanta snatched the eyes off California. It was time for a change.

I am 100% certain that if Texas has Georgia’s filming and media industry, you would NOT be able read a response on CityData without a Texan making that fact known. Let’s just be honest.

And Houston’s urban culture more prominent that Atlanta’s? No.

Atlanta’s artist claim Atlanta and still hold the city down as their home. With the exception of Ciara, who, for obvious reasons isn’t living here anymore, name one famous Atlantan that doesn’t live here?

Ludacris
TI
Jeezy
Monica
OutKast
Usher
Keri Hilson
Future
2 Chainz
the list goes on and on especially when you start adding producers (music and film) and prominent legacy families that have repped their city and maintained their place here. Not like Beyoncé who reps Houston but lives in New York and Los Angeles.

I’m just calling things as they are. Not as you want them to be.

Last edited by isawooty; 02-14-2019 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Houston and Dallas are much more densely developed metro areas and are built environments that will allow for much easier growth in density for the future. Houston needs to catch up with the other two on rail transit though no matter how great of a bus system they have in place. Atlanta has MARTA for heavy rail and a small starter street car line, DFW has DART light rail, 3 commuter rail lines with a 4th coming, an expanding streetcar line and a free historic trolley line. Atlanta is in a very nice natural setting, but that will inhibit it's urban potential as it grows in the coming years. You can't be a "city in a forest" and be a very dense city over a large area.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Do you honestly believe rap music has raised Atlanta's brand image throughout the world? Hey I like rap music too but the whole thing is kinda like an inside joke that Atlanta apparently doesn't get. Those lyrics damage young people much more than they inspire them..
And how much pop culture has come out of California that has done more harm that good? Because 4/20, which originated out of Southern California changed the world. I’d pick Atlanta’s lyrics over a little twenty twen twen any day of the week. But carry on...

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Each other.
Great! Case closed. Good thing we kept South Florida out of the conversation then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City