Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

For me: The City of Passaic in New Jersey. Its a smallish but very densely-populated satellite city of NYC that's mostly surrounded by older suburbs.

Even though its mostly a very poor and rundown city with a high immigrant population; it just looks like its filled with so much history and I can see it having so much potential in the distant future. I love the wide and open downtown.

I feel like I've lived there in my past life since my spirit just seems so connected to it. I also love the density of it; it just feels so warm and cozy.

If anybody familiar with NJ saw this post them they'd probably think I was nuts; since its not known to be a nice or alluring area at all in the eyes of most locals (for the most part).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
Probably the rest of New York State I've been to a few spots like Albany and Utica but much of the state I never really experienced....As great as NYC is there is alot more to NYS then that.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I’m generally really interested in older rust belt cities, but especially Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Part of it is their history as some of the most prosperous cities in the US and the kind of architecture that went up in their heydays as well as the institutions that were created during those times that are still there today. They both also have that underdog sort of narrative that I seem attracted to no matter what the topic. I also find their proximity to each other but with quickly changing landscapes fascinating and wish there were a decent rail service between the two cities. From what I’ve seen from various sources I’ve come across, this corridor is one of the best suited for the return of decent rail service that does not currently have one save for the late night train that is essentially unusable to most.

I’m also really into Duluth. It’s a much smaller city, but its hilliness and position as a major harbor on the world’s largest freshwater lake is pretty awesome.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Minneapolis
Salt Lake City
Boise
Sacramento

Minnesota
Utah

Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM

307 posts, read 330,643 times
Louisiana, Arizona, Mississippi, Charleston, Aspen and Salt Lake City have always intrigued me for some reason.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m generally really interested in older rust belt cities, but especially Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Part of it is their history as some of the most prosperous cities in the US and the kind of architecture that went up in their heydays as well as the institutions that were created during those times that are still there today. They both also have that underdog sort of narrative that I seem attracted to no matter what the topic. I also find their proximity to each other but with quickly changing landscapes fascinating and wish there were a decent rail service between the two cities. From what I’ve seen from various sources I’ve come across, this corridor is one of the best suited for the return of decent rail service that does not currently have one save for the late night train that is essentially unusable to most.

I’m also really into Duluth. It’s a much smaller city, but its hilliness and position as a major harbor on the world’s largest freshwater lake is pretty awesome.
Come on out to Duluth! It is a wonderful place to visit and live. There is a lot to see and do. Lake Superior is currently frozen, but most months it is free from ice.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
^ Duluth and the North Shore of Minnesota is great. BWCA, Iron Range, etc. I grew up mostly in Minnesota so it's not a mystery but still awesome to me.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
It’s not in the US, but I’ve always been intrigued by the Maritimes in Canada. I really want to visit at some point. Seems totally different from anywhere else in Canada.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Florida because I'm a frequent visitor to r/floridaman.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Butte, MT. Never been, but heard and read a lot about it. Some day I'll get there.

Also: El Paso, TX, Lowell MA and Cincinnati, OH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City