Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Intrigued by:

State: New Mexico
City: Philadelphia

Not intrigued at all
State: West Virginia (been there several times. Don't like it)
State I haven't been to yet: Mississippi (though I intend to hit all 50)
City: Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Butte, MT. Never been, but heard and read a lot about it. Some day I'll get there.

Also: El Paso, TX, Lowell MA and Cincinnati, OH
Oh, you're in for a treat. There's no place like it. I lived in Butte for five years.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a fascinating special on Butte's history on PBS.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
I am the same as OP.

Despite having no familial ties to the state, I have a very deep place in my heart for West Virginia.

I'm from western upstate NY, and I always loved Pennsylvania too. However, WV just seems to have all the beauty of NY and PA but none of the northeastern pretentious crap overshadowing it from NYC or Philly.

I know the economy is troubled, and the state has a huge drug problem, but dammit I can't not love WV.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
None.

Because I have a reason as to why things intrigue me.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Abilene,Angelo,Lubbock and Waco,Odessa, Corpus,Brownwood and El Paso in Texas intrigue me.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
All of the desert States in the Southwest. And also Vancouver in Canada

Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m generally really interested in older rust belt cities, but especially Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Part of it is their history as some of the most prosperous cities in the US and the kind of architecture that went up in their heydays as well as the institutions that were created during those times that are still there today. They both also have that underdog sort of narrative that I seem attracted to no matter what the topic. I also find their proximity to each other but with quickly changing landscapes fascinating and wish there were a decent rail service between the two cities. From what I’ve seen from various sources I’ve come across, this corridor is one of the best suited for the return of decent rail service that does not currently have one save for the late night train that is essentially unusable to most.

I’m also really into Duluth. It’s a much smaller city, but its hilliness and position as a major harbor on the world’s largest freshwater lake is pretty awesome.
I also want to visit Cleveland and Duluth. Cleveland because of its history, vibrant looking neighborhoods and geographic location. And ever since Outside Magazine rated Duluth as the top outdoor recreation city in the nation I’ve been intrigued with it and explored it online - it also looks to have some great geography and topography right on the lake and with a (seemingly) friendly spirit to its residents. Also Milwaukee looks pretty fun with some beautiful historic housing stock to reflect its wealth and, (obviously) some good beer drinking to be had. West Virginia also looks to have some beautiful towns and landscape.

Pittsburgh was everything I hoped it to be and then some which makes me want to visit Cleveland, Milwaukee and Duluth all the more. Hard to just end up in all three though- you have to make a concerted effort to get there.

A good friend and former co-worker here just bought a place in his hometown of Albuquerque and also has a cabin in the mountains above it so I anticipate we will be visiting there in a few months after he settles in. He wants to pick my brain for design ideas for his new place - we are both architects but I have more residential experience so I’m really looking forward to exploring New Mexico.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Montana interests me for whatever reason. I've looked around Great Falls, Billings, Missoula a bunch on Street View and pondered where I might want to live and where I might go to hang out. I find the mountain terrain and extreme barrenness of the landscape alluring. Idaho too.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I am the same as OP.

Despite having no familial ties to the state, I have a very deep place in my heart for West Virginia.

I'm from western upstate NY, and I always loved Pennsylvania too. However, WV just seems to have all the beauty of NY and PA but none of the northeastern pretentious crap overshadowing it from NYC or Philly.

I know the economy is troubled, and the state has a huge drug problem, but dammit I can't not love WV.
Sorry for the off-topic post here but I have a quick question.

Whomever rep'd this post with a question, sadly the site doesn't tell me who reps my posts. Send me a direct message if you see this!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Ok, so I've never been to about five states in this country. For some reason, despite it's perception through the media, I've always had a soft spot for West Virginia. Oddly enough, I used to live in Pittsburgh, and I still never went to W. Virginia. Although, to be honest, I did not have the same fondness at that time. I think it's because the people from that state remind me of the people from Tennessee. I've heard that people from Tennessee are really down to earth. My best friend lived in Tennessee for a bit and raved about the people. Of course he lived in Cookville, which is a small town. People (and maybe I'm wrong) from West Virginia seem about the most honest and least pretentious people in our country. That's my perception of West Virginia. They seem so wholesome in a country losing its wholesomeness.

Ok, to make it city vs city, what city or state doesn't intrigue you at all?

I think I have no feeling whatsoever for South Dakota. There's no real reason, I just don't know that much about South Dakota. There are hardly any cities in that state.

I don't know how to edit the title, so I guess I am stuck with the one way version.
There's not a whole lot to the Dakotas, but everyone should see the Black Hills at least once. Even if you don't do the really touristy stuff like Mount Rushmore it's worth checking out Custer State Park, Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon. Badlands National Park is pretty awesome, too.

For me, the state that doesn't interest me at all is Mississippi. Too hot, no real sizable cities, super backwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City