Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this has been asked, but does anyone know how it comes to be that a city name ends up in different states?

Examples:
Richmond & Arlington in TX and VA
Gainesville in FL and in VA
Charleston in WVa and in SC
Memphis in TN and in KY
Nashville in TN and in KY

There are many more that are just not coming to me, but I was wondering if anyone knows the how come behind this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I know in the northeast many of the names were "stolen" from England and used in various states, i.e. Stratford, Glastonbury, Oxford, Norwich, etc.. I am thinking it was due to lack of creativity.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
did you know that the creators of The Simpsons purposely chose Springfield as the town name because there are so many of them? Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa can live in almost any state...and that was the idea. I know off-hand of one in NJ, MA, MO, IL.

eta - there are many towns in NJ that have the same name - e.g. - there are about 7 washington townships. silly.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I was thinking of Springfield, too. Also one in VT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
did you know that the creators of The Simpsons purposely chose Springfield as the town name because there are so many of them? Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa can live in almost any state...and that was the idea. I know off-hand of one in NJ, MA, MO, IL.

eta - there are many towns in NJ that have the same name - e.g. - there are about 7 washington townships. silly.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Default 17 Decaturs

I'm in Decatur, Alabama. There are 17 Decaturs, all thanks to the early American hero Stephen Decatur. I believe there was once a meeting of all the Decatur mayors in one of the Northern Decaturs. Our town is frequently confused with Decatur, Georgia.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM

40 posts, read 222,841 times
There's both Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon

I was born in Orange, California, and I've heard that there is an Orange, Florida too.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Kansas City

Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Alexandria - Louisiana, Virginia, Minnesota, & Egypt.
Lafayette - Louisiana & Indiana. (but two different pronunciations!)

Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbrellasYearRound View Post
There's both Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon

I was born in Orange, California, and I've heard that there is an Orange, Florida too.
Don't forget Portland, Texas! And Orange, Texas, right on the border of Texas and Louisiana!

There are many, many Texas towns with the same name as other towns. I'd be here all day listing them all...

Athens, TX and Athens, GA
Atlanta, TX and Atlanta, GA
Mt. Pleasant, TX and Mt. Pleasant, MI; Mt. Pleasant, SC; and Mt. Pleasant, IA
Huntsville, TX and Huntsville, AL
DeKalb, TX and DeKalb, IL

Not to mention Paris and Palestine. NOTHING like their namesakes, I assure you!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
DENVER CO and DENVER NC

The Denver North carolina area was settled ca. 1770 and, because of it's location adjacent to a swampy area, was originally known as "Dry Pond". In 1873 "Dry Pond" was renamed "Denver" by D. Matt Thompson, the local school principal. Legend has it that in the early 1870's the people of "Dry Pond" were lobbying to persuade the railroads to route rail service through the area. Rail service held the promise of opportunity, prosperity and wealth. They worried that the name "Dry Pond" made the area sound unattractive and that it might hamper their chances with the railroads. The school principle, being respected for his education and learning, was asked to help choose a new name that would make the area sound more appealing and help improve their chances of obtaining rail service. It was 1873 and Colorado was then being considered for admission to the Union, so Mr. Thompson suggested renaming the area after the capital of Colorado, thus the name of Denver. In 1877 the town of Denver was officially incorporated in the state of North Carolina. Sadly, all their efforts were for naught as the railroads decided not to bring a rail line through the newly named town. Without the railroads the growth of the small town was stymied, the town became too poor to maintain even it's own streets. In 1971 the little town of Denver lost it's incorporated status when the State of North Carolina rescinded the charters of several inactive N.C. cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City