Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
As the title says, what major cities do you think are CBD versus neighborhood oriented in terms of things to do, where people hang out, etc.? I'll list a few for now and feel free to add.

NYC (probably too big to do this for, but...)
Chicago
Houston
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Atlanta
Miami
DC
Boston
Minneapolis
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Seattle
Orlando
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Nashville
Louisville
Hey, what about San Jose? It's the 10 largest city in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Central West End reminds me of a vibrant neighborhood in Paris and makes one exclaim “I could totally live here,” and then you get downtown and wonder where all the people went.
A vibrant neighborhood in Paris is a bit of a stretch, but your point is understood. My favorite neighborhood in St. Louis was actually Soulard.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Central West End reminds me of a vibrant neighborhood in Paris and makes one exclaim “I could totally live here,” and then you get downtown and wonder where all the people went.
Great enthusiasm, but not even close....

Old 04-01-2019, 11:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Detroit. While a large percentage of its neighborhoods sit in dismal decay, its core has seen a good bit of rejuvenation.
The same can be said for Baltimore.
I actually disagree from my experience with Baltimore. The downtown has always seemed very dead to me when I've been there save for areas right along the harbor. It seems like nightlife is more spread out in neighborhoods like Fells Point, Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, etc.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:10 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
A vibrant neighborhood in Paris is a bit of a stretch, but your point is understood. My favorite neighborhood in St. Louis was actually Soulard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'd personally compare The Central West End with somewhere like Chicago's Lincoln Park.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'd personally compare The Central West End with somewhere like Chicago's Lincoln Park.
You know I agree with most of what you write. If you are saying that St. Louis is a premium neighborhood like Lincoln Park is to Chicago, I would say yes. If you are saying they are comparable as in amenities, wealth, walkability and everything else "urban" No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp
There is a lot of French influence in the architecture throughout St. Louis and the Central West End shows it well. At one point I remember St. Louis was referred to as the Paris of North America in its heyday.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
That is a much better comparison, but Lincoln Park still offers a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You know I agree with most of what you write. If you are saying that St. Louis is a premium neighborhood like Lincoln Park is to Chicago, I would say yes. If you are saying they are comparable as in amenities, wealth, walkability and everything else "urban" No.

There is a lot of French influence in the architecture throughout St. Louis and the Central West End shows it well. At one point I remember St. Louis was referred to as the Paris of North America in its heyday.
Yes, Philadelphia was also compared to Paris throughout a lot of the 19th and early 20th century.

But in 2019, St. Louis is past its hey day, not denying that Central West End is nice, just not comparable to an exciting neighborhood in Paris.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
NYC, Chicago, DC and Seattle are both. You could also say that Boston is both if you deem neighborhoods in Cambridge and Somerville as Boston neighborhoods.

LA and Pittsburgh are neighborhood-oriented, though Pittsburgh has a substantial CBD for its MSA size.

Philadelphia seems VERY CBD oriented. Most of the interesting neighborhoods seem to be very close to the CBD (sure, there are exceptions such as much of Northwest Philly).

Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Philadelphia seems VERY CBD oriented. Most of the interesting neighborhoods seem to be very close to the CBD (sure, there are exceptions such as much of Northwest Philly).
The thing is Center City is - pretty uniquely for the U.S. - not really a CBD. I mean, it contains a CBD within it (basically strung along Market Street west of City Hall) but it has large areas like Old City and Society Hill which are mostly residential. Even Rittenhouse Square is basically rowhouses a single block back from the park. This gives Center City a huge leg up when being compared to other CBDs, because it has a huge residential population and a lot of 24-hour street life.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is a much better comparison, but Lincoln Park still offers a lot more.
Lincoln Park has 4.5x the CWE's population. Is it a one for one comparison? No, but the CWE does offer a similar experience on a smaller scale. Lincoln Park is denser with less private drives, more bars, restaurant, shops, and better public transit. The CWE has those things, but on a smaller scale. It also lacks a major undergraduate campus like Lincoln Park. From a jobs standpoint, Lincoln Park doesn't have anything for that can really compete with massive medical campus in the CWE that's combining multipe major hospitals and medically related schools. I'd also argue that Forest Park and its amenities are superior to Lincoln Park the actual park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City