Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Los Angeles area is not neighborhood focused only. It is a mixture of both really. LA area doesn't really follow the model of most other cities. You have to think of it is lots of medium and small cities stitched into each other. Hollywood and Koreatown and Westwood are CBDs but also where people go to shop, go to restaurants, go to bars, nightlife, movie theaters. Downtown LA is a major place for people to shop, eat, cultural places, sports, nightlife. Downtown Santa Monica, Downtown Glendale, Downtown Burbank, Downtown Long Beach, Downtown Beverly Hills, maybe Downtown Pasadena are all CBDs where people go work but also do other stuff because that is where the things are located rather than the primarily residential areas that surround these areas.
But of course there are CBDs like Century City which is a ghost town, but it is the only place like that.
Yes there are tons of areas that are not major employment centers like Fairfax District, Venice, Beverly Grove, West Hollywood, Echo Park, most beach communities, that people go and do stuff, but lately lots of good places lately are in places where major employments centers are located like Downtown LA, Koreatown, Hollywood, Downtown Santa Monica, Downtown Glendale. and so on.
I was in Downtown L.A recently. While I applaud downtown's revitalization, it's not there yet. It still has ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Seattle is constantly hail as having a Downtiwn comparable to Boston or Philly while the city isn’t remotely close, isn’t that a sign of the metro being CBD focused?
How could you possiobly know the remainder of the city isn't remotely close? Just because Seattle's outer neighborhoods don't have three deckers and rowhomes doesn't make the CBD the be all end all. Far from it. I have a close friend that lives in the Northgate neighborhood of Seattle that hasn't been to downtown Seattle in the last six months. Why? Because she lives, works and plays in the neighborhoods of North Seattle. They all have walkable commercial districts and are increasing in density.

Capital Hill has a lot of urban density and is where a lot of the nightlife is concentrated. First Hill is a huge medical and employment hub, as is the U-District. South Lake Union where much of the new dense development is and a focus for Amazon is not in the CBD or downtown. Lower Queen Anne has the McCaw Hall center for the performing arts, the Key Arena where Seattle's new NHL team will be playing, and the Space Needle. That area is not downtown either.

As far as the metro is concerned, downtown Bellevue has a lot of highrises with a skyline bigger than some rust belt cities for offices and residential and is a huge retail epicenter for the Puget Sound area. So no Btown, your dead wrong. Its not all CBD focused. Perhaps you should get out more and actually experience what's really out there. Until then, you keep posting inaccurate blanket statements which is pretty lame. You only have the Northeast to compare it all to which is why you don't have a good understanding of what Seattle is really like.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-02-2019 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
How could you possiobly know the remainder of the city isn't remotely close? Just because Seattle's outer neighborhoods don't have three deckers and rowhomes doesn't make the CBD the be all end all. Far from it I have a close friend that lives in the Northgate neighborhood of Seattle that hasn't been to downtown Seattle in the last six months. Why? Because she lives, works and plays in the neighborhoods of North Seattle. They all have walkable commercial districts and are increasing in density. Capital Hill has a lot of urban density and is where a lot of the nightlife is concentrated. First Hill is a huge medical and employment hub, as is the U-District. South Lake Union where much of the new dense development is and a focus for Amazon is not in the CBD or downtown.

As far as the metro is concerned, downtown Bellevue has a lot of highrises with a skyline bigger than some rust belt cities for offices and residential and is a huge retail epicenter for the Puget Sound area. So no Btown, your dead wrong. Its not all CBD focused. You only rely on what you see on paper. Perhaps you should get out more and actually experience what's really out there. Until then, you keep posting inaccurate blanket statements which is pretty lame. You only have the Northeast to compare it all to which is why you don't have a good understanding of what Seattle is really like.
Seattle outside the CBD is built a lot more like Watertown or Quincy than Cambridge or East Boston. And I seriously doubt over the last 18 months west Seattle has transformed itself into Cambridge

CBD focused doesn’t mean literally everyone goes Downtown for everything, it’s comparative. Seattle has its main Library, both Stadiums, Symphony Hall, Art Museum etc Downtown. Boston does not.

Just like Chicago’s downtown doesn’t feel 50% bigger than Philly’s Center City like the metro is it feels much larger because it’s more centralized.

If Seattle or Chicago aren’t CBD focused then there isn’t one in the country. Other than tiny cities that have a 9 square block downtown and maybe Charlotte

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-02-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
It's all true at once for Seattle.

The old vernacular is houses.

But dozens of nodes around within the city limits and dozens of others around the metro are denser nodes, because that's where we focus growth.

And a large percentage of everything is in greater Downtown. I don't mean just the core CBD.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Seattle outside the CBD is built a lot more like Watertown or Quincy than Cambridge or East Boston. And I seriously doubt over the last 18 months west Seattle has transformed itself into Cambridge

CBD focused doesn’t mean literally everyone goes Downtown for everything, it’s comparative. Seattle has its main Library, both Stadiums, Symphony Hall, Art Museum etc Downtown. Boston does not.

Just like Chicago’s downtown doesn’t feel 50% bigger than Philly’s Center City like the metro is it feels much larger because it’s more centralized.

If Seattle or Chicago aren’t CBD focused then there isn’t one in the country. Other than tiny cities that have a 9 square block downtown and maybe Charlotte

Where you're wrong here is just because Seattle's neighborhoods aren't Cambridge level density doesn't make it a poster child CBD focus like you said in your original statement. And Boston's Back Bay where the library is at is just as much the core of Boston as downtown is, just as Seattle's SoDo where the stadiums are at. You also said the metro is CBD focus, and you're totally disregarding Bellevue which disqualifies that statement. And Capital Hill has more palpable urbanity than you'll find in Watertown or Quincy. It all comes back to your lack of experience with the area. You really don't get it.

Other cties that do come to mind for hyper CBD focus are Austin, yes indeed Charlotte, San Antonio, and Denver. Seattle, not so much. I've actually been to all these cities so I can speak from experience and not rely on what you find on paper. In fact, looking at the way the mass transit in Denver is built, that would be a primary example of CBD focus. Seattle has a lot more urban nodes outside the core.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-02-2019 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Where you're wrong here is just because Seattle's neighborhoods aren't Cambridge level density doesn't make it a poster child CBD focus like you said in your original statement. And Boston's Back Bay where the library is at is just as much the core of Boston as downtown is, just as Seattles SoDo where the stadiums are at. You also said the metro is CBD focus, and you're totally disregarding Bellevue which disqualifies that statement. And Capital Hill has more palpable urbanity than you'll find in Watertown or Quincy. It all comes back to your lack of experience with the area. You really don't get it.

Other cties that do come to mind for hyper CBD focus are Austin, yes indeed Charlotte, San Antonio, and Denver. Seattle, not so much. I've actually been to all these cities so I can speak from experience and not rely on what you find on paper. In fact, looking at the way the mass transit in Denver is built, that would be a primary example of CBD focus. Seattle has a lot more urban nodes outside the core.
Look at the metros +/-33% of Seattle’s. So 2.5-5 million. SF-Oakland, Boston, Phoenix, Minneapolis-St Paul, Detroit, Baltimore, St Louis, Tampa-St Pete, Denver.

If you listed these cities from most to least CBD focused Seattle would probably be #2.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Look at the metros +/-33% of Seattle’s. So 2.5-5 million. SF-Oakland, Boston, Phoenix, Minneapolis-St Paul, Detroit, Baltimore, St Louis, Tampa-St Pete, Denver.

If you listed these cities from most to least CBD focused Seattle would probably be #2.
So you're now presenting an oddly random and cherry picked group of cities and a formula to make a point? That's neither here nor there. How about actually going to Seattle and getting some real world experience for yourself first before speaking like you have some sort of expertise on the area. You always seem to dodge that point.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-02-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So you're now presenting an oddly random and cherry picked group of cities and a formula to make a point? That's neither here nor there. How about actually going to Seattle and getting some real world experience for yourself first before speaking like you have some sort of expertise on the area. You always seem to dodge that point.
I ignoring it because we’ve been over this I have been to Seattle.

And that random collection of cities is the 10 cities closest in size to Seattle. So you’re either dodging or don’t know what cherrypicked means.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I ignoring it because we’ve been over this I have been to Seattle.

And that random collection of cities is the 10 cities closest in size to Seattle. So you’re either dodging or don’t know what cherrypicked means.
I never recalled you saying you've been to Seattle, that's interesting. I guess I'll have to take your word for it though it just seems a bit dubious as you always speak to what's easily google searched, especially in numbers, never heard you elaborate on any real experience there. I've called this out a number of times and you're just now coming around and saying you've been there.

I had to strongly disagree as my memories of living in Seattle have strong neighborhood connections as the city is a stand out for me as being neighborhood orientated. Alright, this is a dead horse at this point, I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-02-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 07:58 AM

413 posts, read 323,684 times
Minneapolis is definitely both. A pretty vibrant downtown with sports, culture, fine dining and of course business. But also plenty of great neighborhoods, each with their own vibe. North Loop--the district of formerly derelict warehouses transformed into condos, lofts, shops and upscale dining, + Target Field. Uptown--the long time hipster neighborhood. The Chain of Lakes for parasailing, canoeing, sunbathing, running, all surrounded by upscale homes. Lyn Lake-a slightly more gritty version of Uptown. Linden Hills--very village-y, family and oh so precious. Northeast--the up and coming artists district. etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City