Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,901,246 times

Advertisements

The biggest looser unsurprisingly is New York state winch lost over 5000 millennials with incomes over $100k. Other states with a net loss were illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

The biggest winner was California with a net addition of 3,600 of these same millennials. The states that followed we're Washington, Texas, Colorado, and Florida.
Atleast we know we're not loosing our tax revenue in California. Lol
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ing-states.amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM

93,473 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The biggest looser unsurprisingly is New York state winch lost over 5000 millennials with incomes over $100k. Other states with a net loss were illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

The biggest winner was California with a net addition of 3,600 of these same millennials. The states that followed we're Washington, Texas, Colorado, and Florida.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ing-states.amp
Given that NJ is in the top 10, I'm curious if many are just moving there. You can leave NYC and go to the suburbs, which could also mean leaving the state, but staying within the metro area.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,294,526 times
$100k in Manhattan is roommates. I’d move too if I only made $100k. Same for the Bay Area.

$100k might be rich in Mississippi but it’s struggling middle class in the high cost of living places.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM

21,676 posts, read 12,818,204 times
I know a lot of millennials like Jersey City and Hoboken. Some are moving to Newark.

Massachusetts and Boston is too expensive and boring And those people take there money to NJ where rents are lower and there’s more to do. But usually they just leave for the popular states mentioned.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,360,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I know a lot of millennials like Jersey City and Hoboken. Some are moving to Newark.

Massachusetts and Boston is too expensive and boring And those people take there money to NJ where rents are lower and there’s more to do. But usually they just leave for the popular states mentioned.
Yeah I'm sure this is thanks to all the new luxury properties that are popping up in Hudson County, Harrison, and Newark. Jersey City is full of new amenity high rise buildings with pools and gyms and doormans for the same price as a non-remodeled walk-up in most parts of NYC. And for someone not wanting to head straight for the suburbs, the whole area is a good middle ground compared to LI or Westchester which are pretty much entirely suburban compared to Hudson County. Hoboken has a lot of new luxury rentals and condos, but also the brownstones which can be found for much cheaper than in NYC (same with JC). Other cities like Weehawken and Edgewater are building lots of luxury places right on the Hudson walking distance to ferry terminals that will bring you straight to Midtown to get to work. Harrison was nothing just 3 years ago, but now is full of amenity apartment buildings and like you said, even Newark is getting in on the game now with new amenity buildings in downtown and some pretty pricey new ones in the Ironbound also.

A similar place to anything you can find in NJ would be several hundred dollars more per month, plus you have to pay the city income tax. Live in NJ, and your salary immediately goes up by not paying city income tax, and the rents are lower for similarly nice buildings, if not nicer.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,303,036 times
Without looking at stats my guess is this

Moving to: Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Texas, North Carolina

Moving away from: Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania

Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,076,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Without looking at stats my guess is this

Moving to: Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Texas, North Carolina

Moving away from: Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Not terribly off.

Top 5 in:
CA
WA
TX
CO
FL

Out:
PA
MA
VA
IL
NY

Oregon was 6th, NC 7th, New Jersey 10th, Michigan 31st.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM

77 posts, read 62,855 times
The only rich millennials I know have rich parents.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM

77 posts, read 62,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Not terribly off.

Out:
PA
MA
VA
IL
NY

Oregon was 6th, NC 7th, New Jersey 10th, Michigan 31st.
I'm from Illinois originally, it's not surprising considering how absolutely insane property taxes are there. A lot of people pay the equivalent of college tuition every year on $250k homes. No thanks.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:03 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,702,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
The only rich millennials I know have rich parents.
Most of my friends are "millennials"... most make over 100k and many own homes in the SFs and DCs of the country. Some have paid off their student loans and some have not. They all come from different backgrounds including being raised in foster care, immigrating over from poorer countries, being raised by low income parents, having rich parents etc. I dont know why people try to bucket all millennials into one pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City