Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Most of my friends are "millennials"... most make over 100k and many own homes in the SFs and DCs of the country. Some have paid off their student loans and some have not. They all come from different backgrounds including being raised in foster care, immigrating over from poorer countries, being raised by low income parents, having rich parents etc. I dont know why people try to bucket all millennials into one pot.
Kind of like Millennials bucket Baby Boomers into one pot, you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM

77 posts, read 62,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Most of my friends are "millennials"... most make over 100k and many own homes in the SFs and DCs of the country. Some have paid off their student loans and some have not. They all come from different backgrounds including being raised in foster care, immigrating over from poorer countries, being raised by low income parents, having rich parents etc. I dont know why people try to bucket all millennials into one pot.
I wouldn't consider $100k rich, but it's probably better than most in that demographic. I work as a software engineer and I don't make nearly that much, granted I've just started.

That's impressive that they're able to own homes totally on their own in SF though, unless by over $100k, you mean something like $500k+.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Baby boomers are a diverse group.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
I wouldn't consider $100k rich, but it's probably better than most in that demographic. I work as a software engineer and I don't make nearly that much, granted I've just started.

That's impressive that they're able to own homes totally on their own in SF though, unless by over $100k, you mean something like $500k+.
100k isnt rich... its middle income in most of the places I've lived but my friends are all doing fine considering I still have alot of friends in the places I've lived in; Chicago, NYC, SF, DC, ATl, CVille. They all come from different backgrounds and some are making the low 100's and some are making 300k+. Its just a matter of where you live and who/what network you surround yourself with. It's hard being friends with someone making 30k vs 200k in SF since social activities become limited.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Baby Boomers are the single most predictable demographic. The Boomin' lifestyle manifests itself regardless of gender, race, education, income, education, etc. Boom on!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Not terribly off.

Top 5 in:
CA
WA
TX
CO
FL

Out:
PA
MA
VA
IL
NY

Oregon was 6th, NC 7th, New Jersey 10th, Michigan 31st.
I'm a bit surprised by Florida and California. I figured people where getting priced out of Cali, and Florida surprises me because of the average age of the state.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Assuming this is about totals vs. percentages, any larger state has a leg up.

Also this is about change, not how many millennials there are total. A state tilted toward retirement age groups can become slightly less so.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm a bit surprised by Florida and California. I figured people where getting priced out of Cali, and Florida surprises me because of the average age of the state.
I'm more shocked they're moving out of NY. This is wealthy millenials we're talking about here... 25-35 demographic with money. California is no surprise. Someone in their late 20s/early 30s making a 6 figure salary is not likely going to be thinking about cost of living because they will automatically assume they can afford whatever it is.

The rest of the top 5 are predictable.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I'm more shocked they're moving out of NY. This is wealthy millenials we're talking about here... 25-35 demographic with money. California is no surprise. Someone in their late 20s/early 30s making a 6 figure salary is not likely going to be thinking about cost of living because they will automatically assume they can afford whatever it is.

The rest of the top 5 are predictable.
A lot of those on the later end of the millennial spectrum are reaching family age. Having a child in the city limits of NYC can be challenging. Like I posted before, that's likely why NJ is seeing an increase. Wealthier millennials in the upper range of the age group are moving to NJ to still have a pretty urban lifestyle, just not in the city limits.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah I'm sure this is thanks to all the new luxury properties that are popping up in Hudson County, Harrison, and Newark. Jersey City is full of new amenity high rise buildings with pools and gyms and doormans for the same price as a non-remodeled walk-up in most parts of NYC. And for someone not wanting to head straight for the suburbs, the whole area is a good middle ground compared to LI or Westchester which are pretty much entirely suburban compared to Hudson County. Hoboken has a lot of new luxury rentals and condos, but also the brownstones which can be found for much cheaper than in NYC (same with JC). Other cities like Weehawken and Edgewater are building lots of luxury places right on the Hudson walking distance to ferry terminals that will bring you straight to Midtown to get to work. Harrison was nothing just 3 years ago, but now is full of amenity apartment buildings and like you said, even Newark is getting in on the game now with new amenity buildings in downtown and some pretty pricey new ones in the Ironbound also.

A similar place to anything you can find in NJ would be several hundred dollars more per month, plus you have to pay the city income tax. Live in NJ, and your salary immediately goes up by not paying city income tax, and the rents are lower for similarly nice buildings, if not nicer.
My wife is originally from Maplewood NJ and we spend some time in Weehawken Newark Hoboken and Jersey City as that where many of her friends live. One even moved from Harlem to JC. I can 100% attest to what you’re saying. Public transit from (LIRR NJTransit MTA PATH Newark City Subway etc) is MUCH better than the MBTA in Boston. As much as NYC and DC complain about their subway systems most anyone who moves from Boston finds them downright amazing as I do. The fault ones of MBTA and stringent New England zoning make it downright impractical to live in MA as a young person. The affordable satellite cities (Lawrence Lowell Lynn Brockton New Bedford Taunton) out side of the densest urban core are dreadfully underresourced, crowded, and depressed. Their connections to Boston are slim because of our ancient highways )3rd worst infrastructure in the country almost no highways in MA even have lights). In Boston itself, the cap on liquor licenses and the outright ban of happy hour don’t help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City