Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MS vs ND
Mississippi 36 52.17%
North Dakota 33 47.83%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
ND. They have jobs that actually pay a decent living. I guess nobody on here likes having a job that pays the bills, quality schools for their kids, or a general good QOL. I guess avoiding winter means giving up everything else?
There are much better places to live than either state but the winters in ND combined with mind-numbing boredom and prairie madness would cancel out any other benefits. At least Mississippi has Delta Blues, and some Gulf beaches and shrimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are much better places to live than either state but the winters in ND combined with mind-numbing boredom and prairie madness would cancel out any other benefits. At least Mississippi has Delta Blues, and some Gulf beaches and shrimp.
Yeah I agree it's cold af and isolated af and probably boring af. But where are you getting the money to go to a bar with live music, how will you fund your beach vacations, and how will you afford to eat shrimp if you can't find a job? And your kids are going to have a terrible education. According to this ranking, ND has the 11th best public schools, while MS has the 45th best. According to this ranking, ND has the 10th best public schools, while MS has the 46th best.

I'd rather have a job, better quality housing, and better education for my kids than be underpaid with the only benefit being I'm close to a beach. If we're talking retirement, sure, go to MS and live near a beach. Good luck with public services still. But if you want a beach and already have your income as SS or pension, go for it. But if you need a job and have kids to send to school, idk why in the world anyone would voluntarily move to MS.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree it's cold af and isolated af and probably boring af. But where are you getting the money to go to a bar with live music, how will you fund your beach vacations, and how will you afford to eat shrimp if you can't find a job? And your kids are going to have a terrible education. According to this ranking, ND has the 11th best public schools, while MS has the 45th best. According to this ranking, ND has the 10th best public schools, while MS has the 46th best.

I'd rather have a job, better quality housing, and better education for my kids than be underpaid with the only benefit being I'm close to a beach. If we're talking retirement, sure, go to MS and live near a beach. Good luck with public services still. But if you want a beach and already have your income as SS or pension, go for it. But if you need a job and have kids to send to school, idk why in the world anyone would voluntarily move to MS.
Because the whole state isn't like that?

What a terrible post. Mississippi as a whole may be 49th or 50th but there are plenty of nice areas to live here with plenty of jobs and good schools. Take out the MS Delta area and Mississippi becomes very decent and shoots up the rankings, but forget the rankings, I'd rather keep the Delta.

Some people have zero idea how to understand statistics.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Because the whole state isn't like that?

What a terrible post. Mississippi as a whole may be 49th or 50th but there are plenty of nice areas to live here with plenty of jobs and good schools. Take out the MS Delta area and Mississippi becomes very decent and shoots up the rankings, but forget the rankings, I'd rather keep the Delta.

Some people have zero idea how to understand statistics.
"If you ignore an entire region of our state, we really can be pretty mediocre rather than terrible." That's basically what you just said.

Do you have proof that without the Delta, Mississippi becomes a better place to find a job and raise a family?

Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
"If you ignore an entire region of our state, we really can be pretty mediocre rather than terrible." That's basically what you just said.

Do you have proof that without the Delta, Mississippi becomes a better place to find a job and raise a family?
Right, there are some pretty raggedy areas outside the Delta in Mississippi. Jackson and Meridian in particular. Hattiesburg, Biloxi-Gulfport,Oxford, Starkville, and Tupelo are decent, but they’re very small-mid sized towns in the grand scheme of things. and the rest of the state is mostly rural and agrarian.Madison County (suburb of Jackson), and DeSoto County have the better school districts in the state, and they do compare well to other good districts in the south.

Mississippians are very hypersensitive about their lousy reputation, and tend to over-embellish the few good things about the state to compensate. I lived there for a decade and got the hell out as soon as I was able to. It’s enjoyable if you like a slow pace of life and low pay for just about any job (with an exceptional few, but you have to know people to get those types of jobs) and being behind just about the rest of the country.

Mississippi should embrace more manufacturing the way Alabama and Tennessee did to make up for the dearth of good jobs in the state for the low skilled and undereducated populace. There’s Nissan in Canton and Toyota near Tupelo, but there could be way more. Otherwise, the brain drain will continue. One of my nephews just left the state for Texas where several of his friends have already relocated to for more opportunities there. The only parts of Mississippi that are really growing are due to middle class flight and divestment from Memphis (DeSoto County and Memphis is stagnant in growth) and Jackson (Madison and Rankin counties). The Mississippi Gulf Coast has potential as a retiree destination, but Baldwin County, Alabama and Escambia County in Florida are pretty close by and are more appealing by far (better beaches and no state income tax in Florida) for people who are interested in relocating to that part of the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-03-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 09:35 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:

Agree with the first statement. On the second, of course there is proof. It is the poorest area of the country, just about. You can google statistics all you want, I'm not going to do it for you.

Second level of proof is my own personal life. I'm not terrible (at least I don't feel that way ), but I am pretty mediocre I guess. Maybe slightly above average.

It's all good, I am not trying to convince YOU per se, that Mississippi is livable. You have already made up your mind. It's not hypersensitivity, rather I just like to point out when people are mistaken in their facts.

Regarding what you said biscuit_head, I do not disagree, but "raggedy areas" can be found everywhere, especially in southern cities. The Delta just happens to be worse. However, I like the Delta, it has tremendous potential as a sporting area. What Mississippi lacks is that truly nice area, which was my point all along. Mississippi is pretty average without the Delta's economic statistics.

We are talking about an imaginary line. If that area was all in Louisiana, suddenly MS jumps in the rankings and then people like you think it's better. That is plumb silly.

Smart people judge areas by city/metro area and then certain state metrics. How silly is it to judge Biloxi based on Greenville? If I'm moving to Midland, TX, what good are statewide stats that include Dallas?

Also, one more little factoid for you. I have lived in MS, AL and FL. It gets WAY more expensive the farther east you go. The 'no state income tax' is a small issue to that whole sum of 'benefit'. Again, that is another stat that smart people will look deeper into before making a decision on where to locate. It's the same when people consider the whole cost of living between Germantown/Collierville, TN and Desoto County, MS. They see nothing but state income tax and then they are shocked how different it is in reality.

We do seem to be pretty cursed though, I'll say. Between the race perception, yearly tornados and a hurricane that wipes out our coast every 35 years or so, we can't seem to put it all together.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Right, there are some pretty raggedy areas outside the Delta in Mississippi. Jackson and Meridian in particular. Hattiesburg, Biloxi-Gulfport,Oxford, Starkville, and Tupelo are decent, but they’re very small-mid sized towns in the grand scheme of things. and the rest of the state is mostly rural and agrarian.Madison County (suburb of Jackson), and DeSoto County have the better school districts in the state, and they do compare well to other good districts in the south.

Mississippians are very hypersensitive about their lousy reputation, and tend to over-embellish the few good things about the state to compensate. I lived there for a decade and got the hell out as soon as I was able to. It’s enjoyable if you like a slow pace of life and low pay for just about any job (with an exceptional few, but you have to know people to get those types of jobs) and being behind just about the rest of the country.

Mississippi should embrace more manufacturing the way Alabama and Tennessee did to make up for the dearth of good jobs in the state for the low skilled and undereducated populace. There’s Nissan in Canton and Toyota near Tupelo, but there could be way more. Otherwise, the brain drain will continue. One of my nephews just left the state for Texas where several of his friends have already relocated to for more opportunities there. The only parts of Mississippi that are really growing are due to middle class flight and divestment from Memphis (DeSoto County and Memphis is stagnant in growth) and Jackson (Madison and Rankin counties). The Mississippi Gulf Coast has potential as a retiree destination, but Baldwin County, Alabama and Escambia County in Florida are pretty close by and are more appealing by far (better beaches and no state income tax in Florida) for people who are interested in relocating to that part of the Gulf Coast.
I couldn't help myself since I live here in the Sipp but only those 2 in bold are on the small end of mid size college towns. The others are literally top ten in the state. I have lived in Hattiesburg and now Tupelo. There's plenty of other micropolitan cities in the state that aren't just absolute rural areas per say.

I still choose here over North Dakota. I rather deal woth these hell spawn mosquitos than winter up north.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:00 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Agree with the first statement. On the second, of course there is proof. It is the poorest area of the country, just about. You can google statistics all you want, I'm not going to do it for you.

Second level of proof is my own personal life. I'm not terrible (at least I don't feel that way ), but I am pretty mediocre I guess. Maybe slightly above average.

It's all good, I am not trying to convince YOU per se, that Mississippi is livable. You have already made up your mind. It's not hypersensitivity, rather I just like to point out when people are mistaken in their facts.

Regarding what you said biscuit_head, I do not disagree, but "raggedy areas" can be found everywhere, especially in southern cities. The Delta just happens to be worse. However, I like the Delta, it has tremendous potential as a sporting area. What Mississippi lacks is that truly nice area, which was my point all along. Mississippi is pretty average without the Delta's economic statistics.

We are talking about an imaginary line. If that area was all in Louisiana, suddenly MS jumps in the rankings and then people like you think it's better. That is plumb silly.

Smart people judge areas by city/metro area and then certain state metrics. How silly is it to judge Biloxi based on Greenville? If I'm moving to Midland, TX, what good are statewide stats that include Dallas?

Also, one more little factoid for you. I have lived in MS, AL and FL. It gets WAY more expensive the farther east you go. The 'no state income tax' is a small issue to that whole sum of 'benefit'. Again, that is another stat that smart people will look deeper into before making a decision on where to locate. It's the same when people consider the whole cost of living between Germantown/Collierville, TN and Desoto County, MS. They see nothing but state income tax and then they are shocked how different it is in reality.

We do seem to be pretty cursed though, I'll say. Between the race perception, yearly tornados and a hurricane that wipes out our coast every 35 years or so, we can't seem to put it all together.

I know Florida is more expensive than Mississippi since I used to also live in Florida too, so miss me with your typical condescending comments. Pensacola and Baldwin County are considered to be more desirable than Biloxi-Gulfport, so no surprise there. I did say that Gulfport/Biloxi should market itself as a retiree destination, but it’s a hard sell when it’s compared to neighboring areas in that region. It would be a cheaper alternative though. Mississippi generally has a lower cost of living than those areas, but you get got in other ways - ad valorem taxes to register your automobile for one. Just like how Texas doesn’t have a state income tax, but you’ll get hosed on Property Taxes.

And for such a religious area, Mississippi definitely feels cursed. I call it karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I couldn't help myself since I live here in the Sipp but only those 2 in bold are on the small end of mid size college towns. The others are literally top ten in the state. I have lived in Hattiesburg and now Tupelo. There's plenty of other micropolitan cities in the state that aren't just absolute rural areas per say.

I still choose here over North Dakota. I rather deal woth these hell spawn mosquitos than winter up north.
I know you have a warped perception of what’s considered to be a “large” city and have a hard time understanding that an area about the size of metro Hattiesburg having about 145,000 people or so is not a large metro area. Nor is the Tupelo micropolitan area of 134,000 people. Being Top 10 in Mississippi is like an “A” student in a failing school, but hey, if that’s what you want to think.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
If you think the Delta is poor, take a gander at the reservations in North and South Dakota.
That’s a whole different level of indigence.

Per capita, North Dakota has more churchgoers than MS. However, most of the adherents are Lutheran and Catholic rather than evangelical so they don’t have the “bible thumping” reputation that MS has.

Both states drip with history. MS is a mecca for Civil War and Civil Rights buffs, and ND is ground zero for American Indian Wars and Lewis & Clark fans.

Both states are excellent for hunting, as trophy white tails are plentiful in both states. Fishing is also very popular in both states, but in ND walleye and Muskie are king, while catfish and bass are prized in MS.

Mississippi is home to some of the worlds most acclaimed writers such as John Grisham,
Eudora Welty and William Faulkner, but ND is no slouch in the literary world either. Louis L’Amour was one of the most prolific Western writers, and Era Bell Thompson was a major contributor to Ebony.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
If you think the Delta is poor, take a gander at the reservations in North and South Dakota.
That’s a whole different level of indigence.
To be fair, Native American reservations have a level of autonomy that makes them basically independent from state laws and regulations. They're essentially an semi-independent "nation" and the conditions within each greatly depend on the resources that are available to those who stay (which, unfortunately, is usually not much or nothing at all, which is what the US government originally intended when they banished the natives to undesirable areas unsuitable for white settlement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City