Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more stressful to visit, live in and just experience? NYC or LA?
NYC 63 67.02%
LA 18 19.15%
Tie 13 13.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,817 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both NYC and LA. I love both cities a lot.

The two most stressful aspects of LA are traffic and cost of living relative to median income.
The most stressful aspects of living in NYC are cost of living and never-ending human density (lack of breathing space).

LA's redeeming factor when it comes to stress is that the weather is often marvellous. It's hard to stay angry when it's 80 degrees and sunny 200+ days a year. Additionally, escape into naturally beautiful settings is easier in LA. Mountains, beaches, seaside cliffs, canyons, etc.

NYC often has bad weather days (freezing cold, raining, or muggy summer humidity). Escape to nature requires more effort.

Generally speaking, Angelenos are noticeably more laid back and relaxed than New Yorkers. Everything from dress code to speech patterns, to demeanour, when interacting with strangers, LA is less wound up tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
To me, it was Los Angeles as I dislike driving and sitting in traffic. Even on a packed train I can read a book. Getting to places is pretty easy and sometimes fun, and biking around in comparison has less aggressive drivers or at least drivers more acclimated to bicyclists. Going out for drinks and meeting up with people is also more straightforward. The job market for what I do is also much better. So it basically depends on preferences and personal context.

Neither are that stressful to me though and I like them both. I think these, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Miami are thus far my top 5 favorite cities in the US though I’ve only lived a significant amount of time in NYC and LA.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-13-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I live in Manhattan and travel to LA and London all the time for work.

NYC 100%, not even an argument. The only area where LA is stressful is the amount of traffic and mega highways.

NYC is busier, more crowded, a constant cluster f***, its always go go go.

I have friends who moved to the West Coast (specifically LA) to escape the rat race.

Judging by a lot of posts on here, many do not seem familiar with NYC or LA...

Last edited by cpomp; 05-14-2019 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
After commuting for years in NY you have a different perspective of hell. Somebody here said NY is the easiest city to get around. Easy to say if you don’t live here or walk to work or visit friends and Uber everywhere. It’s the filth, rats, congestion, expense, time spent, etal....
Yes, a lot of NYC is on a grid, so walking in your neighborhood to get a coffee or go to the gym is wonderful, but if you commute into Manhattan, its hell. I have coworkers who commute in from North Jersey or Long Island, its sheer hell with the the amount of people, traffic, delays, navigating Penn Station, etc.

And there seems to be a misconception that everyone in the NYC area uses public transit. There have been many times where I had to drive to work meetings throughout the region... drivers are aggressive, traffic bad, potholes everywhere, skinny 3 lane highways with no shoulders.

LA isn't a walk in the park either and probably has more traffic jams, but commuting in the NYC area is a different animal.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes, a lot of NYC is on a grid, so walking in your neighborhood to get a coffee or go to the gym is wonderful, but if you commute into Manhattan, its hell. I have coworkers who commute in from North Jersey or Long Island, its sheer hell with the the amount of people, traffic, delays, navigating Penn Station, etc.

And there seems to be a misconception that everyone in the NYC area uses public transit. There have been many times where I had to drive to work meetings throughout the region... drivers are aggressive, traffic bad, potholes everywhere, skinny 3 lane highways with no shoulders.

LA isn't a walk in the park either and probably has more traffic jams, but commuting in the NYC area is a different animal.
I know, right? Many people on these boards make it seem like the subway is always such a joy in NYC. Midday (except in the summer, but that’s a whole other topic), nights, and weekends it’s not so bad, but during commute times it’s an absolute nightmare. I’ve used them at these times before and never again. I’d rather walk or sit in a cab crawling like a snail.

You’re right about the freeways there too. They’re tiny with no way to expand, and if there’s an accident or broken down car you’re screwed because of the lack of shoulders in many areas. Although in fairness, I’ve noticed some of LA’s older freeways have lost their shoulders over the years, but it’s nowhere near as prevalent as it is in NYC.

I can see though how 8-16 lane freeways can be stressful to those visiting LA. I know my father in law, who drives like a madman in NYC, hates driving out here because of them.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I was first going to say to you "NYC and LA are the only two 'mega cities' in the U.S.? What about Chicago or Chicagoland????" . . . and then you said "This all coming from someone who was raised and lives in Chicago". So you don't think Chicago (or Chicago within the context of greater Chicagoland) can be quite overwhelming in its own right?????
I don't know. I mean, Chicago is only 30% larger than Philadelphia and I think we can agree nobody thinks of Philly as a "mega city". Although, Philly is kinda overshadowed by Mr. Biggest Most important city in the Universe just 90 miles away. I think there's 4 truly dominating regional hubs in the US. New York - East, Los Angeles - West, Houston - South, and Chicago - North/Midwest. These cities dominate their regions because no larger city is present for hundreds of miles.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
For me personally, LA is more stressful because I have to drive. Simple as that. If you're a hustler and a good worker and like having all the amenities you could ever want right outside your door, NYC is not stressful. Rather, it's kinda relaxing. LA is stressful because you're always sitting in traffic, finding parking, or worrying about how you're going to drive home after happy hour. But that's me because I hate driving so much.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
For me personally, LA is more stressful because I have to drive. Simple as that. If you're a hustler and a good worker and like having all the amenities you could ever want right outside your door, NYC is not stressful. Rather, it's kinda relaxing. LA is stressful because you're always sitting in traffic, finding parking, or worrying about how you're going to drive home after happy hour. But that's me because I hate driving so much.
Yep. I never found NYC to be stressful.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
LA is more stressful to me. In LA you dont really have a choice: you have to spend time in traffic unless you just have enough money to live around where you work. The public transit system is better than say Houston or Atlanta, but its woefully lacking on the whole. My experience yesterday describes it well. I was on a crowded bus, in bumper to bumper traffic not moving, and the express lanes were just as crowded. Today I tried taking my car and it took 1 hour and 50 minutes to drive from Long Beach to Downtown LA. Even in far flung suburbs in NYC, you could take a train is much less time.

NYC costs more in the city but NYC has suburbs that are quite affordable where the city can be reached by 45 minutes on a train. LA doesnt have anything like that. The suburbs almost always require driving into the city and they are more expensive.

Where I would say NYC could be more stressful is the weather and the people. For day to day living, Id say LA.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
I'm an NYC lifer so I don't find it stressful. If I did, I would not be living here as long as I have, but it is easy for outsiders to feel that way.

I know NYC like the back of my hand. LA stresses me out majorly. I hate the roads there ... so much traffic. I drive into Manhattan from LI sometimes and the traffic is not nearly as bad as LA is.

I don't like that LA has these huge freeways like 5-6 lanes. We keep it real in NY ... 3/4 tops. I remember going to the beach in LA and I had a rental car and even just to find parking @ the beach was ridiculous. Now I know why uber is so popular there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City