Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: RustBelt City with the Most Impressive, Classiest, or Fastest Growing Skyline
Cleveland 13 8.84%
Cincinnati 11 7.48%
Columbus 2 1.36%
Detroit 27 18.37%
Pittsburgh 75 51.02%
St Louis 6 4.08%
Indianapolis 3 2.04%
Louisville 5 3.40%
*Wild Card Option* Baltimore 2 1.36%
*Wild Card Option* Kansas City 1 0.68%
*Wild Card Option* Memphis 0 0%
*Wild Card Option* Milwaukee 1 0.68%
*Wild Card Option* Oklahoma City 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:08 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
You seem to be confused with your directions, lol. The RenCen is along the Detroit river, which is the south side of downtown Detroit, and the north shore of the river, Windsor is directly south of Detroit, and on the south shore of the river.
This is a great video of the Detroit/Windsor Skyline. It pays a lot of attention to the Windsor Skyline. The only part of Canada south of the continental USA...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDHCoHRb58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 02:04 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
This is a great video of the Detroit/Windsor Skyline. It pays a lot of attention to the Windsor Skyline. The only part of Canada south of the continental USA...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDHCoHRb58
Nice!

Old 05-19-2019, 02:08 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
And maybe the next 700-plus foot tower is close to happening in the part of downtown designed for a massive (by most city standards) skyscraper... the Public Square lot (Sherwin-Williams).
The buzz on Cleveland streets is the announcement of a Sherwin-Williams' super tower the Public Square parking lot is imminent; could drop as early as tomorrow...

Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
The buzz on Cleveland streets is the announcement of a Sherwin-Williams' super tower the Public Square parking lot is imminent; could drop as early as tomorrow...
That’s good. It always felt weird that the â€center†of Cleveland was on the Western edge of Downtown

Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,187,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
IMO that's actually great news. A city with a bunch of new modern buildings mixed in with a bunch of older neglected ones would be awkward. I think Detroit is going through a similar renaissance, but is starting to see a fair amount of new construction as suburban firms are heading back toward downtown. It's got several suburbs with high rises, but none of them are to the CBD level that Clayton is, so it doesn't have to compete with them as much for that type of infill. At one point Detroit had a half a dozen 400ft high rises that were empty. They have all been repurposed. It's my understanding that St. Louis even with its decline has not experienced blight to the level of Detroit. My guess is that it's strengths are more at street level.
The fact that Clayton, a city of approximately 15,000 people, has a large highrise CBD highlights the balkanized mess that St. Louis and St. Louis County has become since the Great Divorce. Better Together is dead for now, but a merger is honestly needed to bring the area into the 21st century.

In terms of highrises, downtown St. Louis was down to 3 vacant ones earlier this year, but I believe one has since sold with a redevelopment plan, so it should be down to 2 now. A bonus for downtown St. Louis is that many of its streets are narrow, especially in comparison to places like Chicago, and it's highly walkable. Downtown still looks a bit gritty, because it can be dirty, but it's a desirable place to live now with a growing population, and businesses are taking note of that.

As for overall blight, I think what helped St. Louis in comparison to Detroit is that St. Louis' worst blight is all highly localized to specific areas north of the central corridor, whereas Detroit's comes across as more spread out across the city.

That was my take when visiting Detroit anyway, but that was also nearly a decade ago. I need to go back and checkout all the changes.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Pittsburgh is nice, but I've always liked Cleveland's skyline. The shots from the lake are very nice especially. Cleveland overall I view as a very underrated city.

OKC and KC aren't rust belt cities, btw.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM

71 posts, read 45,571 times
Pittsburgh reigns supreme.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The fact that Clayton, a city of approximately 15,000 people, has a large highrise CBD highlights the balkanized mess that St. Louis and St. Louis County has become since the Great Divorce. Better Together is dead for now, but a merger is honestly needed to bring the area into the 21st century.

In terms of highrises, downtown St. Louis was down to 3 vacant ones earlier this year, but I believe one has since sold with a redevelopment plan, so it should be down to 2 now. A bonus for downtown St. Louis is that many of its streets are narrow, especially in comparison to places like Chicago, and it's highly walkable. Downtown still looks a bit gritty, because it can be dirty, but it's a desirable place to live now with a growing population, and businesses are taking note of that.

As for overall blight, I think what helped St. Louis in comparison to Detroit is that St. Louis' worst blight is all highly localized to specific areas north of the central corridor, whereas Detroit's comes across as more spread out across the city.

That was my take when visiting Detroit anyway, but that was also nearly a decade ago. I need to go back and checkout all the changes.
And I think that's sad 😔

Old 01-11-2020, 03:14 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Cincinnati's is cool day or night. It would rival Pittsburgh with more height.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:34 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cincinnati's is cool day or night. It would rival Pittsburgh with more height.

I wish today's architecture was better. I really don't like Cincy's new tallest. Their old tallest is much better looking. I also don't like the batman building in Nashville, which it reminds me of for some reason. Just too much focus on putting something fancy on top, and ends up looking tacky.

That said I wish they'd take down the horrific giant UPMC logo on the US Steel bldg in Pittsburgh, or at least don't light it up at night. Pgh's skyline looked so much better before they installed that hideous sign. The letters are 3 stories high at least, about 50 feet. I guess money bought the rights but its a huge eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City