Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,676 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm 20, and getting ready to graduate college in about a year. I'm looking at relocating relatively soon after that. Currently located in Colorado Springs. My degree is in criminal justice with a minor in filmmaking. No kids, no significant other, just me and my dog. The main two places I'm considering are Atlanta and Los Angeles. I've visited Atlanta a few times, never for long enough to get a good feel of the place, and I've never been to the Pacific coast at all. The big factors for me are a strong film industry (I don't know if I have the luck to break in, but I'd certainly like to give it a fair shot), a nice atmosphere with a good amount of stuff to do and chances to meet people, and a decent chance at home ownership in the future.

Not so big factors are that I'm fairly left-leaning, and I'm a pretty outdoorsy person (especially coming from Colorado, I go hiking a lot). I'm leaning towards Los Angeles, but the traffic is really throwing me off; I wouldn't mind the idea of staying in a town or suburb nearby and commuting into the city, but over an hour commute each way is... unpleasant. I could get over it if need be, but it's definitely something to think about. And on the same note, from what it seems, home ownership in Atlanta definitely seems a realistic possibility whereas in Los Angeles it seems like it would be a far away fantasy. I'm not too concerned about job opportunities outside of the film industry; I'm fairly assured about my chances of working in corrections or law enforcement in the meantime.
I'm open minded to other cities, as well.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by babybrass; 05-19-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 04:39 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Atlanta.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
Atlanta's great but it's almost ruined just by being located in Georgia. The film industry here now seems tenuous because of the nearly theocratic state government run by hard right Republicans who don't mind killing jobs if there's a culture war to fight. Go to California.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
The film industry (obviously) is bigger and more prominent in LA, but if you're planning on setting down roots, buying a house and raising a family, Atlanta/ Atlanta suburbs 10/10.

I don't have the stats, but I'd be willing to bet LA's traffic is the worst in the country, and among the worst in the world. Their public transportation system is a joke too considering how many people live there. I've heard Atlanta's traffic is bad too but probably not even in the same realm as LA's traffic.

LA is obviously the better nature place; the mountains are terrific for hiking. I'm sure Atlanta is good too, but just not in the same range as LA.

I'd go with Atlanta. While LA is still a worldwide haven for movie makers, Hollywood has become a lot more fractured and spread out recently thanks to the internet and advanced technology. Filmmakers have chances all over the place now, whereas before everyone had to go to New York, Chicago, or LA to make it happen.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
LA for me, but both are nice.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Overall, LA is better choice, especially in film and getting your name out there.

LA is expensive for sure, especially starting out in ones career as your earnings at the bottom will make you struggle. So you have to hustle just to pay the rent.

The issues with LA will surely make Atlanta less desirable in the future, especially with future Atlanta population growth and suburban sprawl and limited public transportation and increasing traffic.

LA is definitely changing in terms of housing and public transportation.
Housing: Single family detached homes are not built unless you go for older expensive homes, cheaper older homes in the less desirable areas, or brand new in the far suburbs. But more multilevel condos are being built in dense areas like Downtown and Hollywood OR townhomes style/aka small lot homes where they put 2 or 3 3000sf homes on a lot that a single family home used to occupy. These are getting quite common as brand new housing. Yes they are expensive, too. But your home will keep its value

Public Transportation: LA is building a huge system that is covering the county of LA (an area 3 times the size of all of NYC but with a fraction of the rail miles). So if that is something you like, then best to live in an area that has Metro rail stations nearby. That gives you the option to get around other than a car. LA will never shed it's car. The Metropolis is designed in a way that places other than the center are desirable places to go visit or live, too. Places like South Bay cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Redondo Torrance and Palos Verdes. Even the Orange County beach cities from Huntington Beach to Laguna Beach. Inland Valleys like Santa Clarita Valley, The Valleys of Ventura County which includes Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, also the San Gabriel Valley. Even the central core is very desirable from Downtown to Hollywood to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica/Malibu/Venice beaches. LA area is improving public transit by building rail, upgrading commuter rail corridors that will get people into the central parts of LA easily. This will take some time to get things fully completed in a way that people off cars. But for now, just stick to places that have rail in place and use it when necessary.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
I think you should start in LA (more career opportunities in your field) and work your way to Atlanta once you're tired of the traffic and high cost of living lol. I actually know someone who did exactly that.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I think you should start in LA (more career opportunities in your field) and work your way to Atlanta once you're tired of the traffic and high cost of living lol. I actually know someone who did exactly that.
I agree. Try LA for a few years. See if you can manage to break into film or make some connections. Your opportunities for that will be much higher in LA than Atlanta. And as someone else mentioned, Georgia's film industry could be dwindling down with the new state government. A lot of Hollywood studios are calling to boycott filming in GA and pulling some resources out because of the new state government.

If LA doesn't work out for you, well, at least you tried! You have a real job as a back up which is great. I never suggest people who want to be in Hollywood just move to LA for the fun of it when they don't have a job sector that can pay the bills. You'll have that which is fantastic and that's why I'd highly recommend you do LA first. If it doesn't work, pick up and move to Atlanta and use your years of experience in criminal justice in LA to get a good job in Atlanta and buy a house.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Why Are Hollywood's Biggest Studios and Stars Silent on Georgia's New Abortion Law?
https://apple.news/AoH7cLsavSUejyRpzcZ2eng

Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Go to Los Angeles, no question. You are young and just getting going, and LA is where you should be.

Yeah, tons of film/tv work in Atlanta, but the political climate in Atlanta is on rocky ground for Hollywood to remain in Georgia long-term. (for now!)

Give it 6 mos to a year, and if you don't like LA, you can head to Atlanta or NYC, or wherever you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City