Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times

Advertisements

Actor Peter Ustinov once said, “Toronto is like New York City run by the Swiss”

I personally think that Toronto is comparible to Queens....and about the same population too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 PM

159 posts, read 172,078 times
Toronto isn't even close to New York in terms of population, influence, or importance. A better comparison is probably Chicago.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
Taking population out of the equation, Toronto is a lot more like NYC than Chicago when it comes to the much more international, immigrant heavy feel and diversity of its residents, high transit usage, low crime rate, lack of extreme ghetto areas, mix of income levels within the same neighbourhoods (clusters of hi-rise projects across the street from middle class homes), the way the city is divided into boroughs, being the nation's financial, media and publishing capital, eclectic, vibrant neighbourhood strips serving a multitude of ethnic and racial groups, large amounts of street art and graffiti and many other factors.

Other than population size and being on a Great Lake, Toronto and Chicago are not as alike as most people seem to believe.

Toronto's Yonge and Dundas area at night:

Last edited by Atticman; 05-20-2019 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Taking population out of the equation, Toronto is a lot more like NYC than Chicago when it comes to the much more international, immigrant heavy feel and diversity of its residents, high transit usage, low crime rate, lack of extreme ghetto areas, mix of income levels within the same neighbourhoods (clusters of hi-rise projects across the street from middle class homes), the way the city is divided into boroughs, being the nation's financial, media and publishing capital, eclectic, vibrant neighbourhood strips serving a multitude of ethnic and racial groups, large amounts of street art and graffiti and many other factors.

Other than population size and being on a Great Lake, Toronto and Chicago are not as alike as most people seem to believe.

Toronto's Yonge and Dundas area at night:

Dowtown Toronto looks better than Philly and Chicago

Old 05-20-2019, 11:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Someone made a statement earlier this evening on TV that Toronto is his favorite city and when asked to explain why he said because "Toronto is like New York but a lot cleaner and the people are nicer"

lol. Anyone agree with this?
Never been to Toronto but I hear a lot of people say this same exact thing, just instead of Toronto, about Chicago. And in my experience, it's entirely true.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 AM

257 posts, read 167,323 times
Walking the streets of Manhattan there were more than a few areas that gave me a "Toronto" vibe, and Toronto frequently sits in for NYC for movies and TV shows (i.e. Suits).

I don't think the cities are comparable in many respects, but Toronto is more livable while still offering that big city skyscraper dense multicultural feel. It's the only other city in North America that offers this.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:39 AM

754 posts, read 569,929 times
I've been to both, and in my experience I thought Toronto was fairly clean for a city and cleaner than New York. Neither we're that unfriendly to me, it's just NY has a faster hustle-and-bustle pace, so people can just be more to themselves.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Come to your own conclusions about Toronto =https://www.google.ca/search?q=toron...w=1098&bih=507
Personally i like visiting Toronto ,my only gripe is the congested traffic and the mind numbingly boring drive from Montreal to get there, as for being clean? seems clean enough to me,perhaps some one can give examples of a dirty city.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Toronto rather compare itself and see itself as Canada's NYC. Its Chicago comparisons were boasted when it was big on C-D when the amalgamated city was able to claimed more populated then Chicago city-proper in 2013 and threads continued on and off a few years.

Similarities of high-rises hugging a Great Lake and Core along it could be used. But its sights were always EASTWARD as a peer of mighty NYC. Even a mock Times Square. Toward the US Midwest ..... no way today. Toronto sees it left Chicago in the dust.

Canada's merit-based immigration system is growing Toronto full-steam with Professionals as immigrants. That is its international reason to claim more like NYC and peer despite not in size.

Soon we may see threads if it can claim more skyscrapers over just high-rises then Chicago...... But even that might bee seen as old-hat to compare to Chicago anymore.......

But TO. does crave more World recognition as among the elite Global cities. It never feels it gets its due yet.

So still Toronto is more like a East Coast city. Be it NYC parts and its own culture of Canadians Pride as its Première city in beating Montréal back in a day from Québec's Separations Movement of the 70s that ceased Montréal's claim to it and Toronto gained its Banking and other sectors that high-tailed it to Toronto back then. TO never slowed since. But today Montréal is not looking back.

Toronto maintains its High-rise to skyscraper living built environment by zoning areas for high-rises, mid-rises etc. It isn't merely they are zoned allowed .... but primarily desired. Its fast growth also maintains it easily and prevents the sprawl of US fast growing Sunbelt cities.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-21-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM

17,152 posts, read 15,366,765 times
I see Toronto (the core area anyway) resembling more of a large Asian city than NYC to be honest. The "mock Times Square" (i.e., Dundas Square) looks ridiculous and tacky, and I don't know of any locals who think it looks nice.
The downtown streets simply do not give me a NYC vibe at all. They're vastly different. The only similarity I see is lots of tall buildings.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6437...7i16384!8i8192
Is anyone REALLY thinking NYC when they drive through Toronto?
If there's any comparison I can make, it would be with Miami.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-21-2019 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City