Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Be Jammin ( best Music)
Nashville Musical Scene 38 38.38%
Memphis Musical Scene 61 61.62%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 PM

438 posts, read 376,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
That's nice and all but I think we are talking about artists that are/were produced by Nashville/Memphis, not hosting artists and touring bands and having more concert /symphony venues. Nashville being the larger more significant area now by far is going to have more impressive music venues. Correct me if i'm wrong but the genre that Nashville produces is primarily in country music? Nashville certainly is far more influential today than Memphis, but Memphis in the past certainly had a very influential role in several of genres of music.
Exactly, Memphis has a much wider musical variation compared to Nashville for sure.

To date I've worked with various hip-hop and rap artists, bluegrass and americana groups, electronic and house musicians who all got started in Memphis. People allow the current flash and glam of Nashville disrupt their judgement, but most of the music scene in Nashville is exclusively "Nashville" country and the actual musical content leading the cities music scene is mainly for tourism and CMT.

It's not to say Nashville isn't an important music city. Right now it's seeing it's prime which could take it to a Seattle/New York level of success. But it absolutely doesn't have the set up for any artist to arrive and succeed due to how guarded it's inner circles are and how expensive it costs to get an organic start there. I consider it a great place if you love country music; just the country music history alone makes it worth it.

But if you just want good and organic music or want to get your start in a music career Memphis is the place to go. I mean...it's the home of the King of Rock and Roll for crying out loud haha. There's an energy and artist community that could never take place in commercialized Nashville that for me gives Memphis the crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 AM

748 posts, read 339,325 times
Nashville is certainly more prominent in the current music industry, but I prefer Memphis' music and legacy.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 9,492 times
I looked at this poll and laughed. Sorry, but if you actually think Memphis' music scene is stronger (or diverse) than Nashville's then you are a victim of your own ignorance or have some sort of "Agenda" or bias ! Look, NASHVILLE in too many ways currently is LEAVING MEMPHIS in the dust - whether music, development, population, economics, government, education and in national stature. Memphis is being left behind in the nation in too many ways to contemplate - that's just the reality on the ground - People like Fred Smith has even been quoted as claiming that Memphis "Is not competitive" (that quote I believe was even reported in the Memphis Business Journal and the Commercial Appeal). Again if you think that Memphis' trajectory is as strong (in any way) as Nashville, or say, Austin, then you're living on another planet.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 AM

748 posts, read 339,325 times
Quote:
NASHVILLE in too many ways currently is LEAVING MEMPHIS in the dust - whether music, development, population, economics, government, education and in national stature

Is this necessary?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Welp, is there any more Debate? Memphis has pretty much ran away with this one. Shall we go head declare a winner here or...

Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Welp, is there any more Debate? Memphis has pretty much ran away with this one. Shall we go head declare a winner here or...
It is interesting to see Memphis win something these days.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 AM

13 posts, read 9,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Is this necessary?
Well sure my statement is necessary, and true unless you can't accept economic, demographic, educational, population and political REALITY about examining *where* Memphis is and *where* Nashville is by most any known metric.....I say this again: "NASHVILLE in too many ways currently is LEAVING MEMPHIS in the dust - whether music, development, population, economics, government, education and in national stature ". This is not anything but reality and dealing with reality is always "necessary". It's not malicious to deal with truth unless you enjoy putting your head in the sand.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:55 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
I might have said Nashville once upon a time when country music was actually good.... but I will say Memphis now.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:01 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Heck, a song I found on CMT the other day sounds like classic Stax soul with a fiddle added in for good measure. REAL country music nowadays is basically the Americana genre, which isn't as commercially successful as "Corptry" as I call the genre now. That said, if you take away the drivel feeding into the Opry, Nashville still has a better selection of choice regarding performing artists in terms of a present day performance. After all, not all of those transplants were born and raised with banjos and prefer to keep their style of music alive whenever their favorite bands/groups come to town. My 2016 to Nashville forever changed how I viewed the country genre, being forced into it by my parents, and while there was some interesting history in the "good old days", I felt that the performance at the Opry "just wasn't for me. So overall, Nashville in terms of overall choice of performers (even dropping the country artists), and Memphis in terms of overall heritage.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:28 AM

53 posts, read 42,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Memphis quite easily for me.
Why is that? Because Memphis does jazz and blues far, far better than Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City