Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of these 3?
Boise 15 19.74%
Madison 25 32.89%
Albuquerque 36 47.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 PM

195 posts, read 194,977 times

Advertisements

Why these three cities? Well this is an extension of my previous thread. "Which city is most likely to become the next Austin. I emphasis this is purely a compariosn and not a "which of these 3 will become the next Austin" thread. I ask this because Boise and Madison are the clear winners of that thread. I think in part because people like them the most. There was also a lot of talk about Albuquerque on that thread. I figured why not throw it in with these other two. Which of these three cities do you like the most. Some typical criteria includes. Downtown, Walkability, Recreation, Food, Climate, Scenery Economy. ETC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I've actually been to neither, but as far as which I'm most interested in... Albuquerque > Madison > Boise

Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times
Albuquerque is the only one that has a funky hip vibe with lots of culture. Boise is just too vanilla and tries to hard.
Madison........see Boise!

Old 05-25-2019, 02:27 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
In terms of raw quality of life and amenities per capita, Madison is probably objectively the best, but I've been there a few times so it doesn't really interest me. I love the Native and old-time Hispanic culture in New Mexico, and I've never been to Idaho at all so that whole state's a mystery to me.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:22 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Madison is best of these 3.

Boise is experiencing growing pains, but a strong economy. The city still has to catch up with things to do, infrastructure and overall growth issues--with the boom it is experiencing.

Albuquerque still has not really experienced a boom to speak of. It is a relatively poorer city, but sits in a stunningly beautiful area of the southwest.

Madison has a strong economy, the best infrastructure, the best mix of bars/restaurants and is a more established and well rounded city.

Based on the criteria, Madison is best.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Madison's primary shortcomings relative to Boise and Albuquerque are the harsher climate and lack of proximity to spectacular mountain scenery, neither of which are within its control. In virtually all other respects, it is a very desirable and successful metro area.
  • Madison has a top research university that helps generate STEM business development. Unemployment is consistently among the nation's lowest, and income levels are well above average.
  • Madison is surrounded by very fertile agricultural areas and has one of the nation's largest farmer's markets every summer weekend.
  • Madison has an abundance of clean water in the area for both recreational and practical use. This is a challenge for relatively arid locations like Albuquerque and Boise.
  • Madison is way ahead of the other two metro areas in terms of easy access to big city amenities.
  • Madison has very little urban blight and a relatively small disadvantaged, poorly educated population. The latter is a significant problem for Albuquerque. While Boise proper is quite a healthy city, the outlying parts of the metro area (i.e. Nampa/Caldwell) have a lot of room for improvement.
  • Madison has a densely developed, well utilized urban core with a unique setting on an isthmus between two large lakes. For a middle sized American city, it is definitely among the most walkable. While there is suburban sprawl, it appears to be zoned into specific corridors to limit impacts on surrounding farmland.

While it's not necessarily a positive to everyone, one salient feature of Madison is that it is a very activist and liberal capital of one of the nation's most politically competitive states. Wisconsin has had many close recent elections, and Madison can be counted on to turn out at a very high rate for Democrats. New Mexico, while a former swing state, seems to be getting very difficult for Republicans to win. Boise itself is quite moderate but Idaho as a whole is one of the most conservative states in the country.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM

80 posts, read 65,856 times
Albuquerque currently leads in food and culture. Madison and Boise are ahead in economic and population growth, as well as retention of young professionals. So while the vibe and culture of Albuquerque is established, both Madison and Boise are making large strides to catch up in those categories and bringing in a lot more people to add to it.

I think the isolation of Albuquerque and Boise are huge hinderances to them booming at an extreme rate. Austin has the help of being in a state like Texas, surrounded by other massive metros (DFW, San Antonio, Houston). Madison is in the most similar geographic situation, close to Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis.

I think Albuquerque is a clear leader currently, but this is about what will become the next “Austin” in terms of culture, economy, population growth, etc. I think both Boise and Madison have more momentum and ingredients to replicate that type of growth currently. Madison is missing the culture and vibe. Boise is missing the neighboring areas to help perpetuate extreme growth.

None of these stick out as becoming the next Austin (in the sense that nearly no other city will replicate Austin’s growth anytime soon), but based off similar factors such as a major university, state politics, growing young workforce, rapidly growing tech scene, proximity to other major cities, and current growth trends, Madison sticks out. Boise would be second (primarily due to isolation, although that doesn’t seem to be a huge factor in its current growth), and Albuquerque last only due to the fact that it is more established, not experiencing significant growth, and equally as isolated. Boise and Albuquerque are about equal, there is just so much more momentum and excitement around Boise at the moment around the US. I hear about Boise and Madison a lot (I work in software development and had employees relocate to both in the past few years), I rarely hear about Albuquerque. That’s not to say other industries, including software, aren’t growing there, but from my own area of expertise, Boise and Madison have the edge.

Madison gets my vote here.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
If you’re looking for a walkable downtown dense with restaurants and bars, Madison and Boise run circles around Albuquerque. Both have 50+ bars and tons of restaurants within walking distance in their respective downtown areas. Albuquerque has a more distinct culture and cuisine.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:04 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
If you’re looking for a walkable downtown dense with restaurants and bars, Madison and Boise run circles around Albuquerque. Both have 50+ bars and tons of restaurants within walking distance in their respective downtown areas. Albuquerque has a more distinct culture and cuisine.
Downtown Albuquerque has over 90 restaurants and bars, with more opening all the time. It is nearing 200 establishments overall. Just this year there have been about two dozen openings in Downtown Albuquerque of new restaurants, bars, galleries and other businesses.

When was the last time you were in Downtown Albuquerque to know what's going on?

I don't know much about Madison, but I know that Downtown Albuquerque has had more residential units built in the last few years than Downtown Boise. Downtown Boise has added more hotel rooms in the last few years, but it started out with very little and still doesn't have as many as Downtown Albuquerque. Downtown Boise has a big advantage in retail, but it has been susceptible to closures recently.

Downtown Boise is more active, but that's because it is the big deal in Boise. It has very little real competition in attracting people, especially visitors. If Downtown Albuquerque had the flocks of tourists that Old Town does and the retail scene that Uptown Albuquerque and Nob Hill have then you'd see larger crowds in our downtown. I live in Downtown Albuquerque and I see the changes everyday. It gets plenty of people coming through here and it has an absolutely blossoming scene right now, the best it has ever had.

Albuquerque has most certainly experienced boom times before, so I don't know what the poster who mentioned that is talking about. Albuquerque added over 300,000 people from 1990-2010.

It grew at the rate Boise is growing now in both the '90s and '00s. It was cited on all the usual best of lists in those decades as well.

Recently, it has experienced a slowdown. As I said in the other thread, don't think it's gonna last forever and all signs are pointing to that as being true.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
Albuquerque currently leads in food
What if you like taters?..............Or brats and cheese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City