Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM

69 posts, read 78,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Washington DC:

Georgetown
George Washington
George Mason
Howard
Galludet
American
Catholic
Trinity
U of the Potomac

U of the Potomac? Is that an online University. I lived in Arlington 10 years and never heard of that school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 03:38 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaYards View Post
U of the Potomac? Is that an online University. I lived in Arlington 10 years and never heard of that school.
https://potomac.edu/about/at-a-glance/

Old 06-03-2019, 04:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really don't think Boston at all. It more has nodes of colleges separated from each other. There isn't really a center of college life or anything. Very dispersed throughout the area, but it dilutes the feeling, imo. I compare this experience to my time in Columbus. I would say Cbus easily takes this title.
Any overgrown college town fits the bill better. Life in Columbus, Louisville, and Austin CENTER around the universities. When Louisville won the 2013 NCAA basketball championship, the entire city STOPPED. People partied in the streets all night, lightpoles were climbed, everyone was off work for a huge parade, etc. This is more akin to a big NBA title or something in a primarily pro city. Granted, each of these cities are much larger than a traditional "college town."

Each has much more going on, but they are essentially overgrown college town. I just cannot see any true big city as a college town like Boston, DC, or LA. Plus in general big city sports teams are awful, especially in the 2000s.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
For large metros Boston looks/feels more collegiate than any other. For mid-sized metros it's hard to beat Durham-Chapel Hill NC.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
How about the University of Minnesota in both Minneapolis and St Paul?. I haven't seen it mentioned. I bet it's similar to Austin and Columbus - flagship state run university located in a large capital city.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
There's a reason AtlantaYards was curious. It's the same reason I was. And thanks for posting that link, for it brought the cat back.

The school is only 28 years old, and it's only operated under its current name for six. Prior to that, it was Potomac College, and from what I can tell (it's owned by an LLC) it's a for-profit university that serves a pretty lucrative niche: providing career-oriented education to working adults.

In that sense, the University of the Potomac is in the same league as the University of Phoenix and Strayer University, with the unusual distinction of operating strictly in one local market.

Schools in this category do not "college towns" make, even if they contribute to the total student population of a region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City