Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times

Advertisements

Proximity to other cities/places to take day or weekend trips tends to be a major selling point for most people, I'd venture. It would be a depressing existence to never leave your local bubble.

Philly is among the best located cities the country in that regard, if not THE best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
It is funny when people on C-D write off Philly's optimal location as one of its perks. It's like yeah, obviously, if we are comparing Skylines, no one in their right mind is saying that Philly beats Chicago because of our proximity to NYC's skyline.

The point is, when you live somewhere, the ease, affordability and accessibility of visiting favorable areas plays a big role in quality of life. People choose to live in Denver partly due to its proximity to the mountains. Denver doesn't seem to get this write-off when mountain proximity is mentioned as a city perk. Yet Philly has proximity to major East Coast cities, the ocean, and mountains, but some C-D posters do not want to recognize this as one of its virtues.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
One question is where the school is located. Is that school itself accessible via PT or walking distance of a good mixed-use neighborhood?

Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It is funny when people on C-D write off Philly's optimal location as one of its perks. It's like yeah, obviously, if we are comparing Skylines, no one in their right mind is saying that Philly beats Chicago because of our proximity to NYC's skyline.

The point is, when you live somewhere, the ease, affordability and accessibility of visiting favorable areas plays a big role in quality of life. People choose to live in Denver partly due to its proximity to the mountains. Denver doesn't seem to get this write-off when mountain proximity is mentioned as a city perk. Yet Philly has proximity to major East Coast cities, the ocean, and mountains, but some C-D posters do not want to recognize this as one of its virtues.
It's not surprising that the majority of C/D wants to write it off.

Since about 70% of the nation does not have access to seriously usable intercity rail, it's much easier to take the position of "oh, those obsolete trains in those old, crowded places....we're the new up and coming thing!" than to really look at the reality of how isolated these places are from each other in some parts of the country and how much of anomaly it is within the context of the developed world.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Did I say anything about New York being a better city or Philadelphia being "my city"?" I don't believe I did. I could care less about either. I'm simply pointing out that reliable, frequent intercity rail between two major cities is a huge deal for someone planning to use mass transit a lot.

I checked Amtrak's schedule and learned that there are:

3 daily departures from Minneapolis to Chicago

and

51 daily departures from Philadelphia to New York City.

There are 2X as many Philadelphia to Chicago trips as Minneapolis, despite the fact that Philly is nearly twice the distance.

3 intercity rail trips a day between a 3.6 million metro and a 10 million metro in the same geographic region.

Let that sink in.

A lot of people either drive to Chicago or take the Megabus.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM

413 posts, read 323,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Did I say anything about New York being a better city or Philadelphia being "my city"?" I don't believe I did. I could care less about either. I'm simply pointing out that reliable, frequent intercity rail between two major cities is a huge deal for someone planning to use mass transit a lot.

I checked Amtrak's schedule and learned that there are:

3 daily departures from Minneapolis to Chicago

and

51 daily departures from Philadelphia to New York City.

There are 2X as many Philadelphia to Chicago trips as Minneapolis, despite the fact that Philly is nearly twice the distance.

3 intercity rail trips a day between a 3.6 million metro and a 10 million metro in the same geographic region.

Let that sink in.
I'd say your snark demonstrates you have a bigger dog in the debate than you are letting on, Princess.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

413 posts, read 323,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Proximity to other cities/places to take day or weekend trips tends to be a major selling point for most people, I'd venture. It would be a depressing existence to never leave your local bubble.

Philly is among the best located cities the country in that regard, if not THE best.

Hello. We have these wonderful new inventions called airplanes, AOC.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post

Airfare is not cheap. People aren't taking weekend trips on a plane constantly.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM

I'd say Minnesota wins in terms of Safety, Quality of Life and K-12 Education. Listen you might find more PA schools in a top ranked list but Philly does not have open enrollment which is a huge plus in my opinion.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Lmao. Hello, we have this wonderful thing called air fare. Not everyone was born with a trust fund, Mr. Koch.

Ok I’m done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City