Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan region has the most to gain from globalization?
San Francisco 30 31.58%
Toronto 41 43.16%
Washington D.C. 24 25.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Definitely SF is unique in attached-housing in all the West Coast cites also. DC as mostly row-housing after the Capital grounds and offices. Is pretty common Northeast forms though.

Earlier Toronto area neighborhoods look more Midwestern in unattached homes. Plus areas of row-housing ... as the Northeast US. But the NEW Toronto is the more Asian city scope and high-rise building and looking I think it is becoming. Not the older parts. Much of old DC is restored and gentrified today from declines it went thru as a Northern US cities and Cores did in recent past decades. Canadian cities saw far less of the US 60s/70s major city and what was known as White-Flight. Toronto boomed that period and never stopped. NYC was brought to bankruptcy by 1975. Massive declines and population loss.
Where is the 'new Toronto' though? You need to identify it.

Are you thinking about an area like this?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.67029...7i16384!8i8192

Or this?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62383...7i16384!8i8192

Both are 'new' - just that the first is new infil intermixed with old and the second is a more suburban and more dedicated residential area.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-26-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
DC also has these height limits that seem will never be lifted. Just adding that.
The local government is considering asking Congress for approval to remove the height limits. Either way, it's good to know that mid-rise, more human-scaled density is being talked about as a way to grow global cities will being mindful of creating a strong community social fabric. You can have uniqueness with mid-rise architecture as you certainly would with skyscrapers as well.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I am sorry, but SF's unparalleled setting in North America + attached housing and the Pacific Rim feel layered on top of the Spanish/Mediterranean architecture is pretty unique. Toronto still needs to work on opening up its waterfront and removing suburban style freeways in its city center. DC is unique given its status as a federal capital and monumental civic buildings, which its landlord, even under this current administration, continues to push forward-looking architecture for newer federal buildings. Also, DC's spatial planning draws interest from urban planners from across the globe (re: globalization).
Most of the Pre WWII residential architecture in Toronto is not near the waterfront. The waterfront redevelopment is most newish stuff from the 80's on. There are old Factories converted to lofts but the bulk of T.O's older architecture is far removed from the Gardner Expressway. If you want to get a good idea of Pre-WWII architecture in Toronto such as the Annex style or Bay and Gable - steer clear of the Waterfront.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Where is the 'new Toronto' though? You need to identify it.

Are you thinking about an area like this?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.67029...7i16384!8i8192

Or this?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62383...7i16384!8i8192

Both are 'new' - just that the first is new infil intermixed with old and the second is a more suburban and more dedicated residential area.
You said you agreed with my earlier comment I mentioned like a Asian city. I'm not familiar enough to discuss all the neighborhoods of Toronto. I was just a visitor. My comments are general views and not written in stone that I would argue over.

Though, only city TO. aims to be more a pier of in N.A..... is mighty NYC. But it clearly is a older looking city. Still among the new skyscrapers and still aging infrastructure. Toronto will evolve still differently from the rest of North America's cities....... especially of the US. You made that clear too.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You said you agreed with my earlier comment I mentioned like a Asian city. I'm not familiar enough to discuss all the neighborhoods of Toronto. I was just a visitor. My comments are general views and not written in stone that I would argue over.

Though, only city TO. aims to be more a pier of in N.A..... is mighty NYC. But it clearly is a older looking city. Still among the new skyscrapers and still aging infrastructure. Toronto will evolve still differently from the rest of North America's cities....... especially of the US. You made that clear too.
I didn't really agree or disagree with you about the Asian stuff. If building tall residential is Asian so it, be but Miami could be thrown in to that too!? What I was trying to convey to you is, development is happening all over Toronto - you get highrises and scrapers built in an intermixed fashion with old, but you also get large new swath of condo's that are basically plotted just for new residential condo's.

The second part I didn't make clear at all. I don't think Toronto will evolve differently from all American cities. I don't think I've ever said that. What I said was, it is developing more vertically and dense than most American cities. That is simply true.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I am sorry, but SF's unparalleled setting in North America + attached housing and the Pacific Rim feel layered on top of the Spanish/Mediterranean architecture is pretty unique. Toronto still needs to work on opening up its waterfront and removing suburban style freeways in its city center. DC is unique given its status as a federal capital and monumental civic buildings, which its landlord, even under this current administration, continues to push forward-looking architecture for newer federal buildings. Also, DC's spatial planning draws interest from urban planners from across the globe (re: globalization).

"Suburban" is not the impression anyone gets driving the gardiner into downtown Toronto. This is not exactly Houston, and last I checked a freeway cuts through downtown San Francisco as well.

Generally the feel of Toronto's urban form is similar to other eastern US/Canadian cities: Montreal, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia etc... The skyscrapers are additions on repurposed otherwise empty land in specific areas mainly near the waterfront. Their existence does not suddenly make disappear the rest of the city underneath no more than building highrises in any of those other cities does.

The rest of the city that has it's own unique classic residential architecture (Bay and Gable and Annex style homes). The rest of the city that has one of North America's largest collection of Victorian era houses, in neighbourhoods like Cabbagetown, the Annex, Parkdale, Rosedale, and Trinity Bellwoods. The rest of the city that houses North America's largest collection of continuous Victorian era industrial buildings in the Distillery District.

I'm sorry they weren't featured on Full House which must magically mean they don't exist.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
SF .....will always bring me to its greatest (or one of them) eras that this song was a pinnacle about. The summer of love too. Decided on this video. Some SF scenes and older vintage hippies.
Could not decide. Here is both. Such a calming song. A time never repeated again and no city will ever have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcyRLtwUVY

*** Not getting pulled in in debate my Asian city comments. But Miami no sorry. Not the same.

BUT ENJOY THE SONG AND ERA NEVER TO BE AGAIN .......

Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
"Suburban" is not the impression anyone gets driving the gardiner into downtown Toronto. This is not exactly Houston, and last I checked a freeway cuts through downtown San Francisco as well.
Good point..

This doesn't look better than the Gardiner really.. at all..
https://www.google.ca/maps/@37.76928...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:

*** Not getting pulled in in debate my Asian city comments. But Miami no sorry. Not the same.

BUT ENJOY THE SONG AND ERA NEVER TO BE AGAIN .......
Oh so wait - you throw around these Asian grenades and than say oh i'm not going to get into a debate about them lol..

Those songs were before my time Dave but party on

Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 PM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good point..

This doesn't look better than the Gardiner really.. at all..
https://www.google.ca/maps/@37.76928...7i13312!8i6656
Oh look glass condo buildings next to the freeway downtown
https://www.google.ca/maps/@37.78594...7i16384!8i8192

I thought they didn't have those in San Francisco, it was all painted ladies.

But yeah that looks much worse than the Gardiner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City