Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,494,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I had a premeditated idea that Dallas and Houston were very similar, so I don't think my conclusions were the result of confirmation bias. The opposite, honestly. I was surprised how different they were.

As a lifelong Midwesterner, Dallas has always felt pretty comfortable/similar to what I'm used to in a big city. Houston felt like a whole different world altogether.
Houston may be a "different world" altogether , however that does not mean the difference is cause by it being more "southern" . Most people will say Houston has a faster pace and is more hectic/chaotic than Dallas , its more international ect.. none of this comports with Houston being more southern.

Houston is definably further to the south than Dallas, but your own descriptions of Houston such as "giant jumbled mess" and "whole different world" lead me to think you see Houston as something different, not only from Dallas ,but perhaps any other place you have ever been as well .

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-12-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Literally Jack Lance is the only person I’ve encountered on here that thinks Dallas is more southern than Houston. I’m not saying Dallas isn’t southern at all, just not to the degree of Houston.

Dallas has a Great Plains, Midwestern vibe that doesn’t exist in Houston even slightly.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Literally Jack Lance is the only person I’ve encountered on here that thinks Dallas is more southern than Houston. I’m not saying Dallas isn’t southern at all, just not to the degree of Houston.

Dallas has a Great Plains, Midwestern vibe that doesn’t exist in Houston even slightly.
What is a midwestern vibe? Dallas is not even close enough to the Midwest to even make that claim. Dallas historically and even to this day has very little connections with cities like Kansas City or St. Louis. Memphis is actually the city that does have more of a connection with those midwestern cities. Dallas is a city located off I20 the highway that is most associated with the American Deep South. Y’all really need to chill out with the midwestern vibe because it really doesn’t make much sense.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:

Woops looks like kdogg just proved you wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What is a midwestern vibe? Dallas is not even close enough to the Midwest to even make that claim. Dallas historically and even to this day has very little connections with cities like Kansas City or St. Louis. Memphis is actually the city that does have more of a connection with those midwestern cities. Dallas is a city located off I20 the highway that is most associated with the American Deep South. Y’all really need to chill out with the midwestern vibe because it really doesn’t make much sense.
I was just about to post about I-20 , but you know it much better than I...

Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Woops looks like kdogg just proved you wrong...
k:
Did kdogg say Dallas was more southern than Houston?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Dallas is also located on I-35, a highway that's synonymous with the cities along the eastern edge of the Plains. Minneapolis, Des Moines, Kansas City, Wichita, OKC.

Dallas is in the South, definitely has noticeable Southern elements, but (especially when compared to Houston), it also has a vibe that's very simpatico with the aforementioned cities. No one is saying Dallas is Midwestern, but it shares a lot with places that are in terms of it's history, traditional economy, topography, climate, etc. Much more so than Houston does.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It makes sense to me.

Drive due north leaving Dallas. The landscape doesnt change into the Dakotas (and yes Ive made the drive of number times). Its been said Dallas is the capital of the Southern Plains and I can agree with that sentiment.

Fort Worth has a Southwestern vibe to it. Its not like the desert Southwest but its the gateway to the Southwest from the East.

So does DFW have a Midwestern vibe like Indiana, Ohio, or Wisconsin? No. Does it have a vibe like Kansas and Nebraska? Yes.

Houston on the other hand is very green and forested like youd be more likely to see in the South through Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia.

I never once said Dallas wasnt Southern at all, its just at the crossroads of several regions. I said its not as Southern as Houston.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Dallas is also located on I-35, a highway that's synonymous with the cities along the eastern edge of the Plains. Minneapolis, Des Moines, Kansas City, Wichita, OKC.

Dallas is in the South, definitely has noticeable Southern elements, but (especially when compared to Houston), it also has a vibe that's very simpatico with the aforementioned cities. No one is saying Dallas is Midwestern, but it shares a lot with places that are in terms of it's history, traditional economy, topography, climate, etc. Much more so than Houston does.
Now this I can agree with and you worded it exceptionally well.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
It makes sense to me.

Drive due north leaving Dallas. The landscape doesnt change into the Dakotas (and yes Ive made the drive of number times). Its been said Dallas is the capital of the Southern Plains and I can agree with that sentiment.

Fort Worth has a Southwestern vibe to it. Its not like the desert Southwest but its the gateway to the Southwest from the East.

So does DFW have a Midwestern vibe like Indiana, Ohio, or Wisconsin? No. Does it have a vibe like Kansas and Nebraska? Yes.

Houston on the other hand is very green and forested like youd be more likely to see in the South through Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia.

I never once said Dallas wasnt Southern at all, its just at the crossroads of several regions. I said its not as Southern as Houston.
Correct and I made a distinction years ago that there are two Midwests. Great Plains Midwest and Great Lakes Midwest. Dallas has nothing in common with Great Lakes Midwest but Great Plains, Dallas shares some characteristics. You can't ignore it. Dallas isn't all that far from Wichita.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
I think a lot of the description of Dallas as "Midwestern" is more about the look and feel than the culture. I definitely agree that parts of the metroplex look Midwestern, but the metro as a whole is unquestionably southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City