Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Correct and I made a distinction years ago that there are two Midwests. Great Plains Midwest and Great Lakes Midwest. Dallas has nothing in common with Great Lakes Midwest but Great Plains, Dallas shares some characteristics. You can't ignore it. Dallas isn't all that far from Wichita.
This. The plains, the Great Lakes, and Heartland are three different subsections in the Midwest, and are distinctly different in look, feel, and culture. Nebraska is a lot different than Michigan, and South Dakota is a different world compared to Ohio. Dallas =/= Midwest, but Dallas is at least partially = to the rest of the plains states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Dallas is a mix of the South and the Southern Plains. There’s definitely a shift when you head west from Tyler along I-20. I don’t deny Dallas’ southern roots, but it also has a lot in common with OKC, Tulsa, Wichita and Kansas City in terms of look, feel, and a few cultural elements. Like St. Louis, Dallas is the largest city between multiple different regions. St Louis is a midwestern City, no doubt about that, but has elements of the South and is an island all its own in a way...Dallas is similar in some aspects. Just like there are multiple regions of the South, there’s more than one Midwest/Heartland

I-20 may very well be the main road in the Deep South, but it also runs well to the west of it through the plains and deserts of Texas. I drove and rode that road many many times going between California and Mississippi, and there’s an obvious transition from east of Dallas to the west of Fort Worth.Houston feels more gulf coast southern in attitude, look, and feel. It’s like a more diverse, more moneyed Metairie or Baton Rouge. I know there was a discussion about how Dallas seems to be a better fit for the average American compared to Houston, but I almost always felt more comfortable in Houston after living in Mississippi for years and New Orleans being the nearest “big city” for me and LA being my other big city reference when I was in Southern California. YMMV though. I can see how an average Midwesterner would immediately feel more comfortable in DFW and be scared of Houston. though I’ve learned to appreciate what Dallas has to offer, the city and North Texas in general still leave me cold to this day. To each their own though

Last edited by biscuit_head; 06-12-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston may be a "different world" altogether , however that does not mean the difference is cause by it being more "southern" . Most people will say Houston has a faster pace and is more hectic/chaotic than Dallas , its more international ect.. none of this comports with Houston being more southern.

Houston is definably further to the south than Dallas, but your own descriptions of Houston such as "giant jumbled mess" and "whole different world" lead me to think you see Houston as something different, not only from Dallas ,but perhaps any other place you have ever been as well .
Haven't met many people who have lived in both who has said Houston is faster pace or more hectic than Dallas. You've already told me you have no experience living in Dallas, si it really makes me wonder how you can be so sire of something you lack experience in when people who have lived in both tell you otherwise.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Haven't met many people who have lived in both who has said Houston is faster pace or more hectic than Dallas. You've already told me you have no experience living in Dallas, si it really makes me wonder how you can be so sire of something you lack experience in when people who have lived in both tell you otherwise.
I didn’t see much of difference in pace from the times I’ve been down in Houston. That area around Hobby Airport was noticeably slow in pace.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I've actuslly heard that said many times (Houston being more fast paced). I've also heard that Houston feels more like "a city". I agree with Jack Lance there.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
I actually do hear that on multiple occasions that Houston is more fast paced than Dallas or is described as “too much.”

Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 6,085 times
Dallas Morning News today:
Texas housing market update: D-FW is tops but Houston is catching up!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
I dont understand why people think Houston is more faced paced. I dont think its slower or faster than Dallas. The difference between the two in that regard is absolutely negligible.

If youre talking Fort Worth, thats different of course.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
I don't know how many times I have heard people say Houston just feels or seems so much bigger than Dallas. Implicit in statements of that nature is that Houston has a more hectic , faster more gritty urban vibe to it.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I don't know how many times I have heard people say Houston just feels or seems so much bigger than Dallas. Implicit in statements of that nature is that Houston has a more hectic , faster more gritty urban vibe to it.
I lived in both and I've heard many people (even in Dallas) say Houston is too big and too hectic and I've heard the whole "feels like more of a city" thing too. I never really heard anyone in Houston or Dallas say the other feels slower-paced though. Whether or not its faster-paced or not probably depends on your definition of the term moreso than any real difference between the two. Are we talking about nightlife? Traffic speed and driving styles? Density of pedestrians? The speed people walk? The speed things get done and/or change? Number and breadth of activities? All of the above to some extent?

I don't think they're dramatically that different in most of those things personally, but YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City