Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota vs Missouri
Minnesota 76 62.81%
Missouri 45 37.19%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 PM

195 posts, read 194,977 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd try another overall state comparison poll. This time comparing the two more populated states of the MIMAL region. I think these two states are very similar yet also very different at the same time. I wonder which state do you personally prefer. Some things to consider include: Cities, Natural Setting, Climate, Economy, Location etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Missouri

Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Minnesota for sure. Just a better state all around. Missouri is charming and I’ll always love KC where I spent four years of my life, but... Minnesota is a well managed, well-run, wealthy state. Plus... BEAUTIFUL with all the beautiful natural lakes (they’re 99% reservoirs/engineered lakes in Missouri). And Minneapolis is fantastic, I would totally live there. I would not go back to Missouri.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
While Northern MN is awesome and so is Minneapolis, you can't argue with the Ozarks, KC, STL, and the marginally warmer weather in Missouri.

Missouri for me.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
I think I'll have to go with Missouri. The Twin Cities is easily the best city/metro, but IMO the next 4 best cities between the two are all in Missouri. I also prefer the Ozarks to the North Woods. Neither state has a great climate, but I'd take Missouri easily. It isn't nearly as cold, some of the southern parts of the state can actually be reasonably mild in the winter. Minnesota probably wins in economy purely because of the Twin Cities. Overall, I'd still take Missouri.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM

23,445 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I think I'll have to go with Missouri. The Twin Cities is easily the best city/metro, but IMO the next 4 best cities between the two are all in Missouri. I also prefer the Ozarks to the North Woods. Neither state has a great climate, but I'd take Missouri easily. It isn't nearly as cold, some of the southern parts of the state can actually be reasonably mild in the winter. Minnesota probably wins in economy purely because of the Twin Cities. Overall, I'd still take Missouri.
This. There is plenty to like about both states, but for me I think MO would be an easier adjustment.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Minnesota for sure. Just a better state all around. Missouri is charming and I’ll always love KC where I spent four years of my life, but... Minnesota is a well managed, well-run, wealthy state. Plus... BEAUTIFUL with all the beautiful natural lakes (they’re 99% reservoirs/engineered lakes in Missouri). And Minneapolis is fantastic, I would totally live there. I would not go back to Missouri.
I'd take the Missouri hills and reservoirs over Minnesota's lakes any day. Less bugs without all that standing water. Minnesota's got some good scenery, but basically the entire state was logged off so the forests aren't as nice as they were initially and there's just not the same biodiversity being a much harsher climate than Missouri. It's a lot flatter too. The Northwoods are nice, but not a lot of people are up there and it's kind of a haul from the Twin Cities. The plains part of the state isn't the most scenic.

The state of MN is much better run; however I wish the state was more evenly populated throughout rather than having one big metro and lots of smaller towns.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The state of MN is much better run;
You think so? Missouri has AAA bond ratings from all three agencies while Minnesota only has it from two of them. Maybe I am jaded from living under Illinois' government which is BBB-.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
You think so? Missouri has AAA bond ratings from all three agencies while Minnesota only has it from two of them. Maybe I am jaded from living under Illinois' government which is BBB-.
Yeah, because Kansas City has corporate tax wars over the state line and St. Louis has the too many townships problem creating too many overlapping agencies.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM

264 posts, read 249,932 times
Cities: Missouri - Minnesota has the Twin Cities and maybe you include Duluth and Rochester in there. However, I think KC and St. Louis offerings cumulatively overpower those 3.

Natural Setting - Minnesota and it's not a competition

Climate - Missouri probably. Minnesota has some grueling winters.

Economy - Slight Edge to Minnesota. I feel as a state it's doing very well. I feel Missouri's economic well-being are just concentrated in areas.

Location - Minnesota is pretty isolated due to location. Missouri's central location alone I think gives it the edge.

In my opinion, I hate comparing states because I don't have nearly much pride in my state compared to my city. I would only choose between cities with the state being irrelevant in my preferences. As a state I'd go with Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City