Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tuscon vs Grand Rapids
Tucson 27 49.09%
Grand Rapids 28 50.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,304,724 times

Advertisements

So I believe these are the two most recent metros to surpass 1 million residents. I haven't seen them compared on here. I'm wondering which do you think is better.

Some criteria to consider
1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Transportation Car and Public
5. Outdoor Recreation
6. Scenery
7. Bars/Restaurants
8. COL
9.Architecture
10. Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,401,136 times
Tucson

Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,412,975 times
Judging by your criteria, Grand Rapids.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,077,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I believe these are the two most recent metros to surpass 1 million residents. I haven't seen them compared on here. I'm wondering which do you think is better.
These are two cities that aren't often discussed here. I have a decent amount of experience in both cities. Given their locations their current situations should be reversed. Grand Rapids in lower growth,winter heavy Michigan off of any major transit corridor, home to an ancillary state university. Tucson in explosive growth AZ, winter friendly, directly on I-10, and home to a major flagship university. Yet Grand Rapids out performs Tucson in population and economic metrics. I've never fully been able to understand how Tucson with all of these ingredients has remained so far under its potential.

1. Downtown -Grand Rapids (it's not that close based on my experience)
2. Walkability - Grand Rapids
3. Economy - Grand Rapids
4. Transportation Car and Public - Tucson has a better freeway network, along with a street car system.
5. Outdoor Recreation -I think most people will think Tucson, but it really depends. Tucson has access to the Catalina's. Grand Rapids metro sits on the Michigan Gold Coast, and is at the base of the trail networks that go into the northern Michigan forests.
6. Scenery - Tucson
7. Bars/Restaurants - Grand Rapids
8. COL - Grand Rapids
9.Architecture - Grand Rapids
10. Where would you rather live? - In this comparison I prefer Grand Rapids. Less Isolated than Tucson within two hours of Detroit or Chicago. Tucson is less than 100 miles from Phoenix, but then nothing in every direction for hours. Grand Rapids has More economic opportunity, cheaper housing, and higher wages. Plus I prefer the lush green of Michigan and access to water in all directions. Tucson is considered green by desert standards, but cannot compare to the heavy greenery of Michigan. If Tucson wins this poll it will largely be on winter climate alone. In my opinion that's about the strongest case someone can make for it aside from personal preference.

Last edited by mjlo; 06-20-2019 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM

17,818 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

4. Transportation Car and Public - Tucson has a better freeway network
I confess. I laughed. Tucson's "freeway network" is essentially worthless for about 80% of Tucson's residents for getting around town. Never seen a place that relied on surface streets more than Tucson.

But again, stats about the city of Tucson are completely inaccurate because they don't include the 40-45% of Tucson that sits in Pima county. The affluent half.

Of cities in Arizona of over 5,000...........if the Catalina foothills were considered a "city" they are the second wealthiest in the state behind exclusive Paradise Valley but when people look at Tucson stats they don't include all the wealth in the Pima county suburban areas that ring the city proper.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I confess. I laughed. Tucson's "freeway network" is essentially worthless for about 80% of Tucson's residents for getting around town. Never seen a place that relied on surface streets more than Tucson.
You say this, although I'd say GR could possibly be worse. The state of Michigan has barely increased lane miles in Grand Rapids since the 1960's. The freeway designs are archaic at this point. Grand Rapids current population is more or less driving on the same roads as when it had half the population. Nor does it have a direct freeway connection out of Michigan.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:42 AM

17,818 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You say this, although I'd say GR could possibly be worse. The state of Michigan has barely increased lane miles in Grand Rapids since the 1960's. The freeway designs are archaic at this point. Grand Rapids current population is more or less driving on the same roads as when it had half the population. Nor does it have a direct freeway connection out of Michigan.
I see your point here, but it's just funny that Tucson can beat anybody on freeways since Tucson's freeways don't give you access to anywhere in town to speak of.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I see your point here, but it's just funny that Tucson can beat anybody on freeways since Tucson's freeways don't give you access to anywhere in town to speak of.
Actually now that I look at maps next to each other I think GR might have a more distributive freeway network than Tucson, which is mind blowing. Tucson has no belt system at all. Grand Rapids has at least a half hearted attempt at one (even if it only encompasses the south suburbs) I think that speaks to the tenacity of native Tucsonans keeping things like freeway infrastructure, or big vertical developments out of the city. In my recollection they fight change at all costs.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 AM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Some criteria to consider
1. Downtown: Grand Rapids
2. Walkability: Tucson
3. Economy: Grand Rapids
4. Transportation Car and Public: Grand Rapids
5. Outdoor Recreation: Tucson
6. Scenery: Tucson
7. Bars/Restaurants: Tucson
8. COL: Tucson
9.Architecture: Tucson
10. Where would you rather live?: Tucson

Tucson all the way for me. I know Tucson well, having lived there 7 years during college and military. I would move back in the future--possibly when I'm older for retirement. I love the area.

Grand Rapids economy is better, and downtown better than Tucson. But for Grand Rapids, it's grey, super cold, very snowy winters vs Tucson's balmy beautiful 68 degree sunny winter days. Phenomenal wildlife, hiking, desert mountains and sunsets in Tucson.

Tucson is just in a gorgeous area.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM

77 posts, read 62,875 times
^^^^^

I agree with this completely. I lived in Tucson for a year and it was amazing. I'd move back in the heartbeat, it's honestly one of the coolest cities in the US, and it's in such a unique and beautiful area. If I could live anywhere in the US, Tucson would be in the top three, maybe even my top choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City