Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 AM

141 posts, read 140,895 times

Advertisements

I definitely forgot to list my age. I am 35 and my wife is 33. We are just over the brewery/food truck infatuation stage in our lives and are looking more for low key and chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
But I do love Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains. The biggest difference is that Asheville lies in the mountains and is surrounded by them, whereas Denver has mountains an hour away.
However, you're talking about moving to Raleigh, a place that's 4 hours away, not Asheville itself. So there's that vs 1-2 hours away (Denver) from arguably better mountains.

Quote:
I definitely forgot to list my age. I am 35 and my wife is 33. We are just over the brewery/food truck infatuation stage in our lives and are looking more for low key and chill.
Both Denver and Raleigh are going to have loads of the bolded part. It depends on the neighborhood for the chill/low key aspects, though.

Last edited by BrianGC; 07-11-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Hey folks. I currently live in the Durham area and I am going to be moving out of the city as soon as I can due to the crime rate. I'm originally from Raleigh (they are next door but very different cities, think Minneapolis vs. St. Paul). I have been doing some thinking about moving back to Raleigh but the opportunity came up where I can live in Denver and I'm trying to decide between the two. What you recommend for someone who is looking between the two cities with this criteria:

Things I like about Raleigh:

- Good amount for the house for the money
- Good job market
- Warm climate
- Safe

Things I dislike about Raleigh:

- NC's horrible, backwards politics
- Getting a house that's in an actual walkable neighborhood is practically impossible unless you are rich
- Boring
- No real public transit nor plans for such a thing

Things I like about Denver:

- Outdoor activities
- Much better government policies for me
- Good job market
- Better transit
- More to do

Things I dislike about Denver:

- I HATE the winter. I lived in Pittsburgh for awhile and could not stand the horrible gloomy weather and don't want anything like that again.
- High housing prices

If you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?
I would choose Raleigh.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

77 posts, read 127,404 times
If you don't like winter I would not move to Denver. It is a winter playground in the mountains and if you ski and love being in the snow and or cold you would love it.

Yes true it feels warmer than wintertime temps due to elevation however the reverse is true at night where it can be 45-50 during day and 15 degrees at night and early morning. thats a fact. Same holds true for the cloudy day where temps drop significantly.

Yes true when it snows it tends to melt within a couple of days however depending on the winter you may see snow multiple times per week so you still have to deal with it and since side streets are not plowed well or consistently you may need to drive through a foot of snow to get out of your neighborhood.

Also snow season can begin as early as late Semptember/October and normally ends middle of May. Of course we do get our very mild days in between which is nice and generally it's pretty sunny year round.

It's worth checking out but I would lean towards Raliegh or Asheville for more moderate weather with the exeption being the hot/humid summers. I guess you pick what you can tolerate better in the end. Good luck on decision.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I would move to Denver--it's much larger and so many more opportunities there for everything--as compared to Raleigh.

Raleigh is a nice growing area with a lot of jobs and lower cost of living. But it definitely resembles more of a large "suburb" all around, rather than a true larger city or metro area.

I would give Denver a shot for a couple years, then you can move back, or elsewhere, if you don't like the area. I think you'll love Denver though due to the closeness of the Rockies, how much there is to do in the city overall, and such a great overall vibrant downtown and growing city scene.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:14 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Hey folks. I currently live in the Durham area and I am going to be moving out of the city as soon as I can due to the crime rate. I'm originally from Raleigh (they are next door but very different cities, think Minneapolis vs. St. Paul). I have been doing some thinking about moving back to Raleigh but the opportunity came up where I can live in Denver and I'm trying to decide between the two. What you recommend for someone who is looking between the two cities with this criteria:

Things I like about Raleigh:

- Good amount for the house for the money
- Good job market
- Warm climate
- Safe

Things I dislike about Raleigh:

- NC's horrible, backwards politics
- Getting a house that's in an actual walkable neighborhood is practically impossible unless you are rich
- Boring
- No real public transit nor plans for such a thing

Things I like about Denver:

- Outdoor activities
- Much better government policies for me
- Good job market
- Better transit
- More to do

Things I dislike about Denver:

- I HATE the winter. I lived in Pittsburgh for awhile and could not stand the horrible gloomy weather and don't want anything like that again.
- High housing prices

If you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?
Since you're already putting down NC's "backwards" politics, trust me, go with Denver. What will happen is you will move to Raleigh, complain about everything, vote against these so-called "backwards" policies, hench your COL will rise dramatically, homelessness will rise, you will complain about the lack of affordable house, and will also lament that Southerners "don't like outsiders" after you've ruined the buying power of their area. Just because someone doesn't agree with you politically doesn't make them "backwards". Your intolerant mindset is backwards. So, my suggestion for you: Denver. It will be best for everyone involved, lol...........The best advice for everyone: If you're going to support politics that drive up cost of living, move to places such as San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, New York City, and Boston. If you truly want an area that has great buying power and will respect the new area you're choosing to move to, Kansas City, Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Dallas will be good choices. Don't whine about where you left, move to a new area, and stupidly runin the new area with the same things you just feld. It's amazing that the metro in the nation with the highest costs of living, worst buying power, highest rates of homelessness, highest rates of drug use, lowest rates of homeownership, and most lack of affordable housing has been governed by so-called "progressives" for decades. Yet, you call NCians "backwards"? LOL! There's nothing progressive about creating the dire atmosphere I just described for the very people you claim to care so much about. I know this won't fly with most of you, but this is painfully obvious.

Last edited by march2; 09-13-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 06:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,454 times
Denver. I live in NC and can't wait to leave. Raleigh is not a cool capital city, IMO. Colorado was my first choice before we decided on the California desert.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Since you're already putting down NC's "backwards" politics, trust me, go with Denver. What will happen is you will move to Raleigh, complain about everything, vote against these so-called "backwards" policies, hench your COL will rise dramatically, homelessness will rise, you will complain about the lack of affordable house, and will also lament that Southerners "don't like outsiders" after you've ruined the buying power of their area. Just because someone doesn't agree with you politically doesn't make them "backwards". Your intolerant mindset is backwards. So, my suggestion for you: Denver. It will be best for everyone involved, lol...........The best advice for everyone: If you're going to support politics that drive up cost of living, move to places such as San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, New York City, and Boston. If you truly want an area that has great buying power and will respect the new area you're choosing to move to, Kansas City, Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Dallas will be good choices. Don't whine about where you left, move to a new area, and stupidly runin the new area with the same things you just feld. I know this won't fly with most of you, but this is painfully obvious.
OP is already in Durham which is next door to Raleigh. All you saw was 'backwards politics' and immediately got defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City