Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the fastest paced cities? (Choose 3) Update for 2019
Boston 60 25.53%
New York City 203 86.38%
Jersey City 17 7.23%
Philadelphia 39 16.60%
Baltimore 1 0.43%
Washington DC 96 40.85%
Raleigh 1 0.43%
Charlotte 1 0.43%
Atlanta 9 3.83%
Nashville 2 0.85%
Tampa 2 0.85%
Miami 18 7.66%
Chicago 76 32.34%
Dallas 8 3.40%
Houston 13 5.53%
Austin 3 1.28%
Minneapolis 1 0.43%
Pittsburgh 2 0.85%
Phoenix 4 1.70%
Denver 1 0.43%
San Jose 3 1.28%
San Francisco 45 19.15%
Los Angeles 53 22.55%
San Diego 1 0.43%
Other City 6 2.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is very little fast pace about Miami. It’s not on the level of Philly or LA. I would put Chicago, DC, and Philly right after NYC.
I agree very much with Spade. I used to live in Northern Virginia---just outside the DC. The frenetic pace and congestion started to wear on me. I burned out after two years and had to move to Pittsburgh, which, while still fast-paced, is not NEARLY as fast-paced as NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, or DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This doesn't necessarily equate to "fast paced" automatically. I don't find Miami slow paced, but I wouldn't put it in top 5 (but maybe top 10). You could be fast paced, technically, without being in a dense area. In my experience, the fastest paced places are ones that have the most business activity, "hustling".. not sure how else to describe. Nightlife and density could add to it, but there's a lot more to it than that. In my experience, the top places are NYC, Chicago, and DC. can make the case after that or for top 3 for SF, Boston, Philadelphia.. maybe Miami. After that, places like Dallas, LA, and Houston.

This is based on my own personal experiences in these places. Every place has both fast and medium/slow pace. Yes, even NYC
Yeah I would put Miami with the Houston and LA tier. It's closer to those two cities than they are to SF and Philadelphia IMO.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
I am surprised so many people are putting Chicago in the top 3. I definitely think its top 5. Are people confusing city vibrancy/energy with fast-pacedness? Because there is a difference.

Vibrancy/energy to me is that you see a lot of people out and about in different parts of city, with diversity abound and a lot of movement. You can be a vibrant and energetic place without being too fast paced, kind of like New Orleans or Old San Juan.

When it comes to being fast-paced, to me it's more about people are in a rush, social interactions are more like "I just don't have time to be friendly to people I see in the street" and just overall less patience in one's day to day routine (more aggressive, in your face, more rushed drivers, rushed train commuters, running across the street when you could just wait for the light).

I definitely find DC and Boston to be more fast paced than Chicago in that regard with the exception of Chicago's downtown. My experience in Boston was people always seemed pretty rushed and have little patience. DC, people are just always on the go and all about their work.

Chicago I find to be pretty fast paced in downtown, but outside of that, where the majority of the people live, I find the city to be vibrant but laid back.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
Wish I could rep you I guess I’ve done it too often! I agree with you though, I’m in NY and DC often and Boston some and they are a rush, everyone has to get where they’re going, almost no relaxation at all and a “make things happen now kind of mentality”. Very fast paced and go go go. Chicago is busy too, it’s a large city just at a different pace. It seems like Chicago’s fast-paceness is more spread out for lack of a better term so it may be fast paced but it’s over a seemingly larger area which affects the feel.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Wish I could rep you I guess I’ve done it too often! I agree with you though, I’m in NY and DC often and Boston some and they are a rush, everyone has to get where they’re going, almost no relaxation at all and a “make things happen now kind of mentality”. Very fast paced and go go go. Chicago is busy too, it’s a large city just at a different pace. It seems like Chicago’s fast-paceness is more spread out for lack of a better term so it may be fast paced but it’s over a seemingly larger area which affects the feel.
I do think Chicago is fast paced, compared to most American cities. I just would place it behind NYC, DC, Boston and Philly.

I would say Chicago and SF are pretty much on par with each other in pace.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 6 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
86 people voted. But only 75 selected NYC. This is a pick 3 poll. So somebody either has a vendetta against NYC or voted by mistake.

I picked NYC, LA, Chicago. Additional choices (runner-ups) for fastest pace would be Washington D.C., San Francisco, Boston, and maybe Philadelphia. Jersey City is an interesting possibility as well given its proximity to the Big Apple.

Last edited by g500; 07-25-2019 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 PM

142 posts, read 115,808 times
To me NY and Chicago are miles above all other cities in terms of pace. NY is whole other level though. Mostly due to size. I actually don't find LA or SF fast paced at all coming from the east coast.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:46 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,276 times
There are way too many cities on the list.
NYC will always take number 1 spot. So you really only have two spots left.

For these 2 spots opinions for the most part will be about (not in order):

Chicago
LA
Miami
SF
Boston
DC
Philadelphia

The rest really can be taken of the list.

IMHO, it would be

1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) LA

Old 07-25-2019, 09:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
These results so far appear to be about right, though I'd say Chicago is more "bustling" than San Francisco by a bigger margin.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I picked LA, NYC, Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City