Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Houston is worse in the light rail department, especially given its size.
No, the light-rail there is good for the street-car service that it truly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The problem with DART is gets oh so close to where it needs to go, but just misses the target in most situations. Uptown and Oak Lawn aren't super far from a rail line, but the rail misses the hart of the action and population. This is a prime neighborhood for public transit users (dense apartment buildings, walkable neighborhood, young, educated, professional, gay-friendly, etc.). Instead of being right in the middle of it all in those neighborhoods, the stations are on the periphery located on/near large freeways/highways. The station by SMU is across a freeway and doesn't actually serve the student population, nor does it hit the shopping/dining area north of the campus. Again, prime demographic of young college students. I'm not an expert on Dallas and all its neighborhoods, but following the lines on Google Maps, you can see there are some missed opportunities.
It's sort of the opposite in Atlanta. MARTA hits a lot of the major nodes of the city(Downtown, Midtown, Central Buckhead, Lindbergh, Inman Park/Little Five Points, etc). It's biggest problem is it needs more lines that criss cross the city into the residential neighborhoods. Still, it has solid ridership for a "sunbelt city". It does better than BART in terms of daily boardings per mile and not too far behind Washington.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In case you haven't noticed, younger people are trending away from cars and toward urbanity, walkability, and mass transit.
Actually, quite a few of the youngest (Gen Z) totally are gravitating towards cars. They despise the 9-5 lifestyle that public transit commutes are associated with, and are totally willing to get those Lamborghinis and live that jet-set, laptop lifestyle.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Of course many drive, and like it. But they're TRENDING toward urbanity, walkability, and mass transit.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:32 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Actually, quite a few of the youngest (Gen Z) totally are gravitating towards cars. They despise the 9-5 lifestyle that public transit commutes are associated with, and are totally willing to get those Lamborghinis and live that jet-set, laptop lifestyle.
Gen Z is early 2000s. Those kids are like 18 years old. Idk exactly where cutoffs are, but I'm assuming some are like 15 years old. When I was that age, I loved cars and couldn't wait to drive because it meant I could get out of my transit-desert neighborhood. However, once I got older and experienced the hell of commuting in LA traffic, I learned to love public transit in all its forms because anything was better than sitting in traffic for hours on end.

Wait till these kids grow up and driving isn't just "hey let's drive to Taco Bell" or "wanna go to the mall? I'll drive" or "I'm bored and my mom gave me the car tonight so let's just go drive around and do nothing." I feel like we all had that phase unless we grew up in a family with no access to a vehicle in an urban city center.

Also, they may prefer the careers that allow for remote working, but let's be real, how many of them are going to get lucky enough? Didn't we all want that? And here the majority of us are, either sitting in traffic or commuting via public transit every day to sit in an office, answer emails, make phone calls, etc. Even at tech startups, you can't just NEVER go into the office. You can work from home many days, but not EVERY day. I know a girl moving to the Jersey Shore to live the beach life, but she's moving near a NJT Rail line so she can commute into Manhattan 2 days per week. Gen Z can dream big, but get back to the Millennials when you're saddled with the same student loan debt that Boomers force on us so they can give tax cuts to the wealthy and some of you can't even afford to own a car. Gen Z will be begging for solid public transit that costs $100/mo for a monthly pass when the alternative is a car payment + gas + insurance + parking while their student loans payments are equal to or greater than their car costs and rents are skyrocketing nationwide. They're too young to understand the reality of commuting in traffic + debt + car ownership costs + the rental/real estate market + the lack of good paying jobs in those "fun sounding" offices.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes and no in my experience. Boston has pockets of the light rail network that runs on tracks with traffic in the street (it's mostly separate ROW) and people rarely alter their driving habits for it.
The irony of Boston is that, its street running Green Line sections, sans Heath which is entirely a streetcar on the surface, are often/usually faster than the historic 2-track, trunk line tunnel under Bolyston and Tremont streets because of train congestion. I'm hoping the Green Line extension north to Somerville will be much faster given that it will also be grade separated but with far fewer through branches coming from the south and west.

Last edited by TheProf; 09-12-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Gen Z is early 2000s. Those kids are like 18 years old. Idk exactly where cutoffs are, but I'm assuming some are like 15 years old. When I was that age, I loved cars and couldn't wait to drive because it meant I could get out of my transit-desert neighborhood. However, once I got older and experienced the hell of commuting in LA traffic, I learned to love public transit in all its forms because anything was better than sitting in traffic for hours on end.
Exactly. Pragmatism generally ends up trumping Idealism at some point. I couldn't wait for the freedom of driving when I was a teen. I still actually love road trips and weekend excursions and have zero interest in giving up my car. But the realities of driving/parking in major metro areas have made me glad to be able to park the car during the week and use transit for my daily commute. The novelty of driving quickly goes away when you're sitting in rush hour traffic.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
The irony of Boston is that, its street running Green Line sections, sans Heath which is entirely a streetcar on the surface, are often/usually faster than the historic 2-track, trunk line tunnel under Bolyston and Tremont streets because of train congestion. I'm hoping the Green Line extension north to Somerville will be much faster given that it will also be grade separated but with far fewer through branches coming from the south and west.
Agreed. And I'm hoping that the signal upgrades will loosen a little of the congestion in the tunnel as well. On the flip side, you rarely have to wait more than 2 minutes for a train between Park and Copley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City