Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more creative, artistic, and intellectually vibrant?
Los Angeles 81 71.05%
Chicago 33 28.95%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 05:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You're still haunting this thread? You seem quite invested in the discussion (pressing refresh for four years?). You've made your point clear prior and it's sad that you don't seem to have been enlightened or opened your mind. Did something happen to you that makes you have such an axe to grind against Chicago?

We can re-litigate this forever, but the more you open your mind, the more opportunities may arise.
I’m guessing something happened to him when he moved to Chicago. His comments are borderline obsessive and are way over the top negative. It seems personal……
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 06:22 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You're still haunting this thread? You seem quite invested in the discussion (pressing refresh for four years?). You've made your point clear prior and it's sad that you don't seem to have been enlightened or opened your mind. Did something happen to you that makes you have such an axe to grind against Chicago?

We can re-litigate this forever, but the more you open your mind, the more opportunities may arise.
I didn't refresh the thread. There are time stamps for posts so you'll notice that another person resurrected the whole thing. I figured thst, as OP, I'd give an update. I just never was particularly impressed by your city by the, uh, big lake. That's all. You don't have to have an underlying pathology to not l8ke Chicago. It's actually far more common that people here realize!

Old 04-13-2023, 06:24 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I don't think I'd admit that...depends which circles you run in. I know numerous intellects in Chicago.
As a percentage of the population Tuscaloosa is even more saturated with professional intellectuals. I absolutely would not consider Tuscaloosa a particularly intellectual place (but roll tide, anyway).

Old 04-13-2023, 08:26 PM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I didn't refresh the thread. There are time stamps for posts so you'll notice that another person resurrected the whole thing. I figured thst, as OP, I'd give an update. I just never was particularly impressed by your city by the, uh, big lake. That's all. You don't have to have an underlying pathology to not l8ke Chicago. It's actually far more common that people here realize!
I don't think it's more common than people realize, at all. You, clearly, have a bias against Chicago...it is what it is. It has its problems, but it's a world-class city with a whole lot of smart people. If you haven't run into any, you're not looking in the right places.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
In my highly subjective opinion:

Creative: Los Angeles - Hollywood gives LA the edge here, but Chicago is also strong

Artistic: tie - Hollywood provides a strong artistic scene, but Chicago has a very strong artistic community as well as the Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art, Smart Museum and so on.

Intellectual: Chicago - the University of Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola and other factors give Chicago the edge
Pretty accurate. Although, even though CHI is no slouch, I would give artistic to LA still, but not by a ton.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:20 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
In my highly subjective opinion:

Creative: Los Angeles - Hollywood gives LA the edge here, but Chicago is also strong

Artistic: tie - Hollywood provides a strong artistic scene, but Chicago has a very strong artistic community as well as the Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art, Smart Museum and so on.

Intellectual: Chicago - the University of Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola and other factors give Chicago the edge
LA is in a whole other league than Chicago as far as creativity goes. Chicago has a considerable underground "Bohemian" creative culture, but as far as the upper middle class goes, Chicago's careers and upwardly mobile crowd are not creative in the least bit. Its not that kind of city. Almost no one makes a career in a highly creative field in Chicago. Its largely MBAs working for Fortune 500 companies.

LA is more than Hollywood. Sure, the Art Institute as a single museum is more of a destination (and a centrally located one at that, being right on Michigan Ave), but LA has:

LACMA
Getty Center
Getty Villa
Norton Simon Museum
Huntington Library, Gardens, and Museums
MOCA
The Broad (another contemporary art museum across from MOCA)
Hammer museum (UCLA campus)

Its just that these museums are spread out all around sprawling LA and are mostly newer museums. (The majority of these didn't exist at the time of the making of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the movie most associated with the Art Institute of Chicago).

LA is definitely ahead of Chicago as far as artistic goes, though that wouldn't necessarily have been the case 30 years ago.

Intellectual?

University of Chicago is more prestigious than any LA area universities, but CalTech in Pasadena is considered on par with Northwestern in Evanston, and USC and UCLA are both a lot bigger than Loyola and have an overall bigger draw. (Loyola is a small Catholic university - though certainly highly regarded).

I'd say their about equal as far as intellectual.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 84,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Intellectual?

University of Chicago is more prestigious than any LA area universities, but CalTech in Pasadena is considered on par with Northwestern in Evanston, and USC and UCLA are both a lot bigger than Loyola and have an overall bigger draw. (Loyola is a small Catholic university - though certainly highly regarded).

I'd say their about equal as far as intellectual.
You're selling UCLA (and Caltech) way short. In most rankings of world universities UCLA is ranked higher than Northwestern and Caltech is almost always close to the top. Here are the most popular such rankings, filtered for US universities (if possible)

Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU):
https://www.shanghairanking.com/news/arwu/2022

U.S. News Best Global Universities:
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...=united-states

QS World University Rankings:
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2023

Rankings among US schools for those four:
Caltech:
THE #1
ARWU #7
USNews #7
QS #4

U Chicago:
THE #8
ARWU #8
USNews #17
QS #5

UCLA:
THE #12
ARWU #11
USNews #10
QS #16

Northwestern:
THE #16
ARWU #21
USNews #18
QS #14

Anyway the fact is these 4 are all very elite schools. But LA overall just has a larger selection given the presence of USC (one tier lower than these 4) and a quickly rising UC Irvine. Throw in the five Clairemont colleges, Occidental and Soka (all 7 which are in the top 40 of the US News Liberal Arts college rankings) and it starts to pull away.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...-arts-colleges

Old 04-14-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiglo_2000 View Post
You're selling UCLA (and Caltech) way short. In most rankings of world universities UCLA is ranked higher than Northwestern and Caltech is almost always close to the top. Here are the most popular such rankings, filtered for US universities (if possible)

Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU):
https://www.shanghairanking.com/news/arwu/2022

U.S. News Best Global Universities:
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...=united-states

QS World University Rankings:
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2023

Rankings among US schools for those four:
Caltech:
THE #1
ARWU #7
USNews #7
QS #4

U Chicago:
THE #8
ARWU #8
USNews #17
QS #5

UCLA:
THE #12
ARWU #11
USNews #10
QS #16

Northwestern:
THE #16
ARWU #21
USNews #18
QS #14

Anyway the fact is these 4 are all very elite schools. But LA overall just has a larger selection given the presence of USC (one tier lower than these 4) and a quickly rising UC Irvine. Throw in the five Clairemont colleges, Occidental and Soka (all 7 which are in the top 40 of the US News Liberal Arts college rankings) and it starts to pull away.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...-arts-colleges
You didn't choose the US News university rankings in the US, which places U of Chicago and Northwestern much higher. Don't know if you did that intentionally, or not, but I have included the ranking that carries weight. We're talking national universities, not global. And, not "Liberal Arts" colleges...for crying out loud. My link is the standard for top US universities... If you Google it, this is what it says...

Which US university ranking is most reliable?
U.S. News & World Report. The U.S. News college rankings are viewed as the gold standard of college ranking lists. Its list is the most well-known and referenced.Dec 24, 2022

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

Last edited by Bicala; 04-14-2023 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 05:29 PM

93 posts, read 84,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
You didn't choose the US News university rankings in the US, which places U of Chicago and Northwestern much higher. Don't know if you did that intentionally, or not, but I have included the ranking that carries weight. We're talking national universities, not global. And, not "Liberal Arts" colleges...for crying out loud. My link is the standard for top US universities... If you Google it, this is what it says...

Which US university ranking is most reliable?
U.S. News & World Report. The U.S. News college rankings are viewed as the gold standard of college ranking lists. Its list is the most well-known and referenced.Dec 24, 2022

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities
Oh boy, the US News College rankings nonsense again. These are rankings meant to guide admissions for undergraduate programs only and to say there's controversy in their methodology is an understatement. Sure, it's one other ranking, but its hardly a benchmark for the best research universities in the world (you know stuff that makes for intellectualism). That's precisely why I gave links to the four most respected global rankings of world universities (including one by, you guessed it, US News!). The fact that they're global rankings is a feature, not a bug.

I have no idea what your comment about liberal arts is intended to mean. Liberal arts colleges are the next indicators of academic excellence after we've tabulated the big national universities. What's the big deal?

Old 04-14-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiglo_2000 View Post
Oh boy, the US News College rankings nonsense again. These are rankings meant to guide admissions for undergraduate programs only and to say there's controversy in their methodology is an understatement. Sure, it's one other ranking, but its hardly a benchmark for the best research universities in the world (you know stuff that makes for intellectualism). That's precisely why I gave links to the four most respected global rankings of world universities (including one by, you guessed it, US News!). The fact that they're global rankings is a feature, not a bug.

I have no idea what your comment about liberal arts is intended to mean. Liberal arts colleges are the next indicators of academic excellence after we've tabulated the big national universities. What's the big deal?
Doesn't make sense to include international universities. Also, the "gold standard" is the "gold standard." If you don't like it, that doesn't change it. I added the 2023 rankings from US News. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City