Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities (Excluding the 18) will be on the brink of emerging as a major city by 2040?
Austin 49 37.12%
San Antonio 20 15.15%
Orlando 33 25.00%
SW Florida 5 3.79%
Salt Lake City 9 6.82%
Raleigh-Durham 23 17.42%
Charlotte 57 43.18%
Las Vegas 18 13.64%
Portland 24 18.18%
Other 29 21.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Las Vegas Charlotte Austin are all pretty major right now and will be solidly in that class by 2030.

I voted Orlando.
I'd push that out to 2040 at least. Austin won't be a major city yet, it's getting a bit over blown on C-D. It will be firmly where Charlotte or LV are today by then. One key reason, is airports. LV and Charlotte will continue to have strong airport traffic for cities of their size, Orlando already does also.

A major city as has been mentioned needs at least close to 5 million in the metro, 4 major sports teams or at least 3 out of the major four and then something else like MLS or WNBA. I believe Austin has 0 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 10:28 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'd push that out to 2040 at least. Austin won't be a major city yet, it's getting a bit over blown on C-D. It will be firmly where Charlotte or LV are today by then. One key reason, is airports. LV and Charlotte will continue to have strong airport traffic for cities of their size, Orlando already does also.

A major city as has been mentioned needs at least close to 5 million in the metro, 4 major sports teams or at least 3 out of the major four and then something else like MLS or WNBA. I believe Austin has 0 of them.
Austin is getting mls in 2021. If Austin continues its growth, I think it would be around where Tampa is today. It would likely reach 3 million plus by then. It’s already at 2.1 million now.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Agreed. That list is all the way wrong. Too much wrong for me to even bother trying to correct it.
I second that, they lost me at #2. There’s no way San Francisco and Chicago are overtaking Los Angeles in 20 years, or ever. Plenty others after that.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Now
1. NYC

2. LA

3. Chicago
4. San Francisco

5. Boston
6. Washington DC

7. Houston
8. Dallas

9. Philly
10. Miami
11. Atlanta

12. Seattle

2040 (Im predicting)
1. NYC

2. San Francisco

3. Chicago (This city is on a ROLL)

4. Los Angeles
5. Boston + Cambridge + Somerville + 128 Area (Not fair to disinclude Kendall, MIT, Union, Future Suffolk Downs and Union Point)
6. Washington
7. Dallas

8. Seattle
9. Dallas

10. Atlanta
11. Philly (Small Decline ending soon, I have a gut feeling the mid 2020s+ will be a very Philly period)

12. Nashville
13. Charlotte 9Banks, Banks, Financial Centers, Booming)

14. Austin
15. Phoenix
16. Minneapolis St. Paul
17. Raleigh/Durham
18. Denver
19. Tampa

20. Orlando
21. Detroit

I could see these cities rebounding/growing fast to become Major Important cities and area.
As others have said, this list has a whole lot of wrong.

Starting with present day. I would put Houston Dallas and Philadelphia into the same line, its really splitting hairs between the 3 cities/metros.

Miami is not as economically important as the other top cities, but its still a "mecca" in its own way, so I would have it with the above group I mentioned, and then a gap before Atlanta.

2040:

No one is coming for New York, I don't know how a gap could close up like that in 20 years....

No sure where Houston went...

And I would still have Houston, Dallas and Philadelphia in the same group. There is no way Atlanta or Seattle will surpass any of them in 20 years, literally no reason or proof as to why that would happen. If anything I could see Philadelphia picking up momentum and coming for Boston and DC in the next 20 years.

Number 12 going down is a whole mess, I don't feel like explaining it all, except Detroit should by no means be last.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

5 million is so high.. Boston was at 4.2 million in 2000 and still isnt even at 5 million.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
5 million is so high.. Boston was at 4.2 million in 2000 and still isnt even at 5 million.
At or around it. Boston and Detroit both are major cities under 5 million MSA, plus they meet the other criteria like multiple major sports teams, and media market size. They also have way higher airport numbers than places like Austin, and more international travelers with higher levels of immigration.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:36 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
I dont see Philadelphia surpassing Boston or DC unless Boston prices itself out of the game. Boston will seriously have to liven up and loosen up on multiple levels for it to continue its current growth with its real estate prices. Just not enough bang for buck.

DC is more important than Boston, barely.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM

88 posts, read 74,098 times
Next "major" in that far out?? Easy to say Orlando, then Tampa-Stpete-Clearwater-Manatee/Sarasota becuase of big populations gain and crazy building of houses, and people leaving NY NJ CA and chicago

Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I dont see Philadelphia surpassing Boston or DC unless Boston prices itself out of the game. Boston will seriously have to liven up and loosen up on multiple levels for it to continue its current growth with its real estate prices. Just not enough bang for buck.

DC is more important than Boston, barely.
I don't think the East Coast big cities need to worry about who's ahead of one another honestly. None of them will ever catch NY and each of them are firmly established the way they are already. But they still are in the strongest megalopolis in the hemisphere, and one of the strongest in the world.

Boston, Philly, and DC each have now what makes them strong and will continue to strengthen this century. It's true that none will probably regress, but in terms of pace of growth DC will out grow the others as it continues to diversify it's already dominant economy.

Boston leads the nation in bio-tech/life sciences, and Philly does well in that also, so no need for either to think they are falling behind. DC's growth makes sense due to being the capital.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,767 times
Quote:
I don't think the East Coast big cities need to worry about who's ahead of one another honestly. None of them will ever catch NY and each of them are firmly established the way they are already. But they still are in the strongest megalopolis in the hemisphere and one of the strongest in the world.

Boston, Philly, and DC each have now what makes them strong and will continue to strengthen this century. It's true that none will probably regress, but in terms of pace of growth DC will out grow the others as it continues to diversify it's already dominant economy.

Boston leads the nation in bio-tech/life sciences, and Philly does well in that also, so no need for either to think they are falling behind.
Exactly, Philly isn't going to fall behind other cities on the list anytime soon. In fact, the 2020s will be a golden decade for my city. Lots of people are sleeping on the next big industry that Philly is prepared to dominate: gene therapy. There are currently a ton of patents being churned out pertaining to this field, and several former startups have attained the capital necessary for massive expansions--Spark Therapeutics is the most notable of this group.

No US city is ever going to catch up to NYC, and DC's economic foot is firmly planted in the fact that it is the seat of the federal government. As long as we continue to compete against Boston (life sciences), SF (we're one of the top regions for it), and Chicago (providing a meaningful urban experience at a fraction of the cost of other traditionally urban centers), we'll be fine. We're solidly in the same tier as Boston, SF, and possibly Chicago, depending on how Chicago is grouped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City