Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,072 times

Advertisements

So in my long search of possible future moving locations, I've been eyeing Pittsburgh, but I'm a bit worried about the roads and hills, and especially during snow.

I've gathered at the least that Pittsburgh's roads are quite terrible in terms of their condition, but add snow into the mix and I'm sure it gets to be a mess.

I've been to San Francisco a handful of times and the roads there are crazy. At least in regards to how up and down they are with all the hills and the steepness of many of them.

How would you say the hills in SF compare to Pittsburgh? Which city is easier to drive in as a result of the roads, especially when you add weather conditions into the mix?

Here in Portland, snow isn't too terribly common and when it does snow, rarely does it accumulate in large numbers and the hills are nothing like SF. Not even close.

I just worry that if I end up going to Pittsburgh, a city with presumably bad hills and snow to the mix, that driving will be a nightmare for my family and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomJon96 View Post
So in my long search of possible future moving locations, I've been eyeing Pittsburgh, but I'm a bit worried about the roads and hills, and especially during snow.

I've gathered at the least that Pittsburgh's roads are quite terrible in terms of their condition, but add snow into the mix and I'm sure it gets to be a mess.

I've been to San Francisco a handful of times and the roads there are crazy. At least in regards to how up and down they are with all the hills and the steepness of many of them.

How would you say the hills in SF compare to Pittsburgh? Which city is easier to drive in as a result of the roads, especially when you add weather conditions into the mix?

Here in Portland, snow isn't too terribly common and when it does snow, rarely does it accumulate in large numbers and the hills are nothing like SF. Not even close.

I just worry that if I end up going to Pittsburgh, a city with presumably bad hills and snow to the mix, that driving will be a nightmare for my family and I.
I was in Pittsburgh last week and someone told me that once a PAtransit bus driver does a few years in PGH, he can transfer to any city in the country and command a top salary because of a good driving record in Pittsburgh.

Not sure if that's true, but keep in mind Uber also made Pittsburgh ground zero for driverless car tech for similar reasons.

So yes, driving would likely be pretty bad. I know there is a notorious intersection in Pittsburgh called "the bathtub" for how bad conditions get in the rain.

I have to ask though, if you're eyeing urban cities like Pittsburgh and San Francisco, why would there a be a plan to drive vs. using mass transit?

Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I was in Pittsburgh last week and someone told me that once a PAtransit bus driver does a few years in PGH, he can transfer to any city in the country and command a top salary because of a good driving record in Pittsburgh.

Not sure if that's true, but keep in mind Uber also made Pittsburgh ground zero for driverless car tech for similar reasons.

So yes, driving would likely be pretty bad. I know there is a notorious intersection in Pittsburgh called "the bathtub" for how bad conditions get in the rain.

I have to ask though, if you're eyeing urban cities like Pittsburgh and San Francisco, why would there a be a plan to drive vs. using mass transit?
For future reference the “bathtub” is not an intersection, but rather a dip in a highway that runs along the Mon River in downtown. When the river hits flood stage plus some, it tops a wall and they have close that section until the water recedes. It takes a lot of rain in the Mon River Valley to get to the point.

As for driving in Pittsburgh in the winter, its really not that bad. You are going to be overwhelmed by people posting that the streets in the city aren’t plowed, and what not...but I live in the city, on a steep belgium block street, and have never had issues. If it snows, give yourself plenty of time, and take it easy. Worst case, stay home. The past few snow related “bad days for driving” had more to do with the timing of the snow during rush hour rather than the amount.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 PM

64 posts, read 84,866 times
^ Agreed with PghYinzer. It's more timing than amount. And speaking of amount, we usually receive very light, albeit frequent, snow amounts. A lot of 1/2 to 2 inch storms.

I commute from the city (Lawrenceville) to the suburbs (Moon) 5 days a week for work and I've rarely had an issue with snow. Honestly, I think the city does a great job treating and plowing the roads. Don't let the thought of snowy+hilly roads keep you from moving to Pittsburgh, if that is the only thing holding you back. I'm newer to the city and have quickly fallen in love. It's a magical, beautiful place... that looks even more beautiful covered in white. :-)

Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 AM

6 posts, read 5,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Oops I may not have made it super clear. Goodness knows I can't afford San Francisco. I'm definitely not looking there. It's just that SF is the only place I've been to where I felt I could make a comparison to what I've heard about Pittsburgh.

I'm actually more than happy to take public transit, but my fiancé is a bit more stubborn in that regard. If he can drive, he'd rather do that. But in the instance I have to drive there, I'd just like some background on what driving there is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxurbanite View Post
Don't let the thought of snowy+hilly roads keep you from moving to Pittsburgh, if that is the only thing holding you back. I'm newer to the city and have quickly fallen in love. It's a magical, beautiful place... that looks even more beautiful covered in white. :-)
I imagine so! And no, the roads weren't necessarily my number one concern, but it was still something I wanted to take into consideration beforehand. My grandfather is from Somerset and always spoke highly of Pittsburgh whenever he visited.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
The quality of these shots isn't great, but they'll give you a good idea of the hilliness of Pittsburgh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hYvocWAy1JT7ShM6A

Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
I was just in Pittsburgh for my first extended visit. I loved the city, and I am glad you chose San Fransisco as a comparison (even if you are speaking specifically of driving conditions). For me, of major American cities, only San Fransisco beats Pittsburgh in natural setting and hilliness.

Firstly, driving around Pittsburgh was actually surprisingly confusing to me. Many of the major highways run right along the river, with about three different diverging options every half mile. (I might be exaggerating here, but I was shocked by how confusing roads there were for a city its size).

Secondly, in regards to how they compare, Pittsburgh will surely be harder to drive in during the winter. Save for snow, I would garner once you are familiar with navigating the plethora of bridges, Pittsburgh would be easier the rest of the year. If you are not used to driving in snow, you can always switch out to snow tires for the winter as extra assurance.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM

716 posts, read 765,333 times
For me the main difference between hilly streets in San Francisco vs Pittsburgh is that San Francisco seems to run more on a grid, despite the hills. A lot of steep ups and downs, but generally straight. Pittsburgh's roads, while hilly, tend to be a lot windier because they tend to follow the topography more so than the roads in San Francisco. Basically Pittsburgh area road map looks a lot more like a topographic map than a grid.

I don't think Pittsburgh winters are that bad at all, but that said, living near access to public transportation will certainly help to ease any anxiety since you'd have an alternate possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City