Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times

Advertisements

Not every person or every NY’er (like me) hates your city. I think you are on guard for anything at all to grab onto, every baited loaded post that slights your city and then it turns into an obsession and a fight. In my opinion every city is interesting and fun to explore and unless you like to waste energy from the writings of a very few bored people why do you care what someone you don’t know likes or thinks? They’re playing with you. There are a lot of threads where I don’t agree but the last thing I want to do is argue and debate someone on the internet. Just my .02.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Not every person or every NY’er (like me) hates your city. I think you are on guard for anything at all to grab onto, every baited loaded post that slights your city and then it turns into an obsession and a fight. In my opinion every city is interesting and fun to explore and unless you like to waste energy from the writings of a very few bored people why do you care what someone you don’t know likes or thinks? They’re playing with you. There are a lot of threads where I don’t agree but the last thing I want to do is argue and debate someone on the internet. Just my .02.
My experience with New Yorkers is thr tend to like Chicago. A lot. And I think that is the experience of many Chicagoans.

Your attitude on cities is refreshing and mature.

Here’s how I see the three:

Great cities, all. Each is vastly different from the other. None of the three need to duke it out with the other two. Each is secure in its own skin. You don’t have to compare any of the three with each other. Just looking at any of them lets you know you are in a great global city.

So it is not a matter of better or worse, just different

To start with, New York and Los Angeles are something Chicago is not. NY and LA are megacities. I am not sure what Chicago’s grouping is called but it certainly falls in the level right below megacities

Here is what is critically important

New York likes being a megacity
Los Angeles likes being a megacity
Chicago likes being a very large city

Megacities and large cities are different breeds of cat. Not better, not worse. Both groupings have positives and negatives about them

New York and Los Angeles better like beingg megacities; they will not lose that status chicago better not be too comfortable in its large city status. It is, despite what Foreign and others may think, is slated to become a megacity. It is not necessarily what we want...I’d rather Foreign was right about us

Chicago works because of a unique position it occupies. New York and Los Angeles are megacities. Chicago alone is in the inbetween position, a favorable mix of qualities of the megacities and the big cities below chicago thrives in this position

To illustrate what I mean by my comparison, I will break it down in three groups

1. New York and Los Angeles

2. Chicago

3. San Francisco, Boston and others

Foreign’s list of US cities with the greast number of (no pun intended) foreign visitors shows these six as the top ones (eliminating the four which were not there for their urban quality)

The top six cities in order are New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Boston.

Five were in a coastal zone. One is smack in the middle of the country. The norteastern cities and the California pair are in regions with other major cities. Chicago is alone. All this feeds into Chicago’s persona.

New York may be America’s greatest city. But Chicago is the Great American City”. It wasn’t founded by the British like Boston or the area that became DC, a place where George gave his name to Georgetown. The Dutch founded New York, the Spanish LA and SF

Chicago was founded by Americans. Chicago needs to stay just barely under the radar to cntinue to be Great American City. Our skyline doesn’t look like New York’s because New York and Philadelphia and Boston faced east across the Atlantic to Europe. The real American architecture devloped in the midcontinent in the most of American setting

New York could not be New York without being the top and the most of any place. San Francisco could not be San Francisco with over a million people. SF had to be able to fit in your pocket to be SF

And Chicago could not be Chicago without that special niche in the middle.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 AM

817 posts, read 599,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
People on this site take tourism way too seriously. Chicago, as a well rounded city, is in the same tier as NYC and LA, below them yes, but still in that tier. Nobody from outside of the county flies to Orlando to see Orlando. They go there to see Disney World and Universal, then they leave. Miami is in a similar boat, just instead of Disney World it has warm weather year round and beaches. When we're talking about well rounded cities, which includes the economic diversity, global economic relevance, global- inspired food, global arts, racial demographic make-up, tourism, and more, Chicago is NOT #9, but #3 or #4.

I'm amazed that some believe more international tourism == more "global" of a city.

https://www.atkearney.com/global-cities/2018
I actually agree, and think that Chicago is more globally significant than a Vegas or Orlando. Bit that means that Chicago is #6 or 7 in terms of global importance, not #3 or 4. The tourism numbers merely show which cities are on the radar of wealthy foreigners. It isn't a perfect metric, but still a good one.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:06 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
No one puts in better perspective then -- edge25. Eloquently written and precise. I let threads go for a while till I see someone or more ... keep it on lowering Chicago for one city I especially defend. Overly so at times. Some you find a agenda of post to that in numerous threads too.

Giving stats on Global status of the World's cities. Still see Chicago as Top 10. Top 3 in the US. But rising competition from the World's cities ND out riding US cities.

There is a clear reason International visitors isn't its main calculating methods. Some cities are resort cities in their original creation. Has nothing to do with Global status officially.

NYC is Alpha ++ So really not to be included unless we also include our Alpha-cities too.

If we go by the GaWC breakdown. But mighty NYC at Alpha ++ , was included with the Alpha cities and not the Alpha- ones Houston joined this year with two others was not.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 AM

839 posts, read 734,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
The Only Thing though is that in Europe the #1 Position is sorta debatable and makes for a good read
NO, it is NOT debatable. One city in Europe is clearly equivalent to New York and that big city in France or that big city in Italy do not even compare.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
My experience with New Yorkers is thr tend to like Chicago. A lot. And I think that is the experience of many Chicagoans.

Your attitude on cities is refreshing and mature.

Here’s how I see the three:

Great cities, all. Each is vastly different from the other. None of the three need to duke it out with the other two. Each is secure in its own skin. You don’t have to compare any of the three with each other. Just looking at any of them lets you know you are in a great global city.

So it is not a matter of better or worse, just different

To start with, New York and Los Angeles are something Chicago is not. NY and LA are megacities. I am not sure what Chicago’s grouping is called but it certainly falls in the level right below megacities

Here is what is critically important

New York likes being a megacity
Los Angeles likes being a megacity
Chicago likes being a very large city

Megacities and large cities are different breeds of cat. Not better, not worse. Both groupings have positives and negatives about them

New York and Los Angeles better like beingg megacities; they will not lose that status chicago better not be too comfortable in its large city status. It is, despite what Foreign and others may think, is slated to become a megacity. It is not necessarily what we want...I’d rather Foreign was right about us

Chicago works because of a unique position it occupies. New York and Los Angeles are megacities. Chicago alone is in the inbetween position, a favorable mix of qualities of the megacities and the big cities below chicago thrives in this position

To illustrate what I mean by my comparison, I will break it down in three groups

1. New York and Los Angeles

2. Chicago

3. San Francisco, Boston and others

Foreign’s list of US cities with the greast number of (no pun intended) foreign visitors shows these six as the top ones (eliminating the four which were not there for their urban quality)

The top six cities in order are New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Boston.

Five were in a coastal zone. One is smack in the middle of the country. The norteastern cities and the California pair are in regions with other major cities. Chicago is alone. All this feeds into Chicago’s persona.

New York may be America’s greatest city. But Chicago is the Great American City”. It wasn’t founded by the British like Boston or the area that became DC, a place where George gave his name to Georgetown. The Dutch founded New York, the Spanish LA and SF

Chicago was founded by Americans. Chicago needs to stay just barely under the radar to cntinue to be Great American City. Our skyline doesn’t look like New York’s because New York and Philadelphia and Boston faced east across the Atlantic to Europe. The real American architecture devloped in the midcontinent in the most of American setting

New York could not be New York without being the top and the most of any place. San Francisco could not be San Francisco with over a million people. SF had to be able to fit in your pocket to be SF

And Chicago could not be Chicago without that special niche in the middle.
Good grief

Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM

626 posts, read 464,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
NO, it is NOT debatable. One city in Europe is clearly equivalent to New York and that big city in France or that big city in Italy do not even compare.
Which city would that be?

Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Good grief
I find it more good griefless

Hey, those are my thoughts. That is how I see it.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Which city would that be?
obviously he had Rome in mind, it being the Eternal City, viewed as the center of the earth. Or universe. What else could he have had in mind?

Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
I thought Milan is international, economic, fashion, tech capital of Italy. Rome is just an old city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City