Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 12:42 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
NO, it is NOT debatable. One city in Europe is clearly equivalent to New York and that big city in France or that big city in Italy do not even compare.
London is easily New York's peer. They are the top two cities in the world in terms of global economic impact.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
It just happens to be so I've been to all three cities, to New York and LA as a tourist, to Chicago because we though we might want to live there ... My ranking is:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. LA

New York is in a league of its own, it's truly a great and impressive city. I loved the whole atmosphere, the architecture and especially the sky scrapers. Chicago has a very nice downtown with great architecture and buildings, but I found it unimpressive outside of downtown. LA just can't keep up with East coast and Midwest architecture, it just lacks character. LA also seemed too sprawled out to me: endless drives through similar looking neighborhoods, and downtown is unimpressive. I generally don't find West coast cities appealing but prefer the east coast/rust belt.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:02 PM

809 posts, read 468,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It just happens to be so I've been to all three cities, to New York and LA as a tourist, to Chicago because we though we might want to live there ... My ranking is:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. LA

New York is in a league of its own, it's truly a great and impressive city. I loved the whole atmosphere, the architecture and especially the sky scrapers. Chicago has a very nice downtown with great architecture and buildings, but I found it unimpressive outside of downtown. LA just can't keep up with East coast and Midwest architecture, it just lacks character. LA also seemed too sprawled out to me: endless drives through similar looking neighborhoods, and downtown is unimpressive. I generally don't find West coast cities appealing but prefer the east coast/rust belt.
It's clear you have limited knowledge about LA and just the Western US in general. LA has tons of urban bones downtown. The city is "polycentric" which means there are multiple pockets of density spread throughout the urban area. LA architecture definitely has character. "Hollywood" is just one small section of the city.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:03 PM

809 posts, read 468,497 times
I voted LA because it is easily one of the most misunderstood/fascinating cities in the country.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:10 PM

93 posts, read 84,997 times
New York is the Great World City.
Chicago is the Great American City.
Los Angeles is the Great American Experiment.

I find the experiment most fascinating by far. And I'm extremely curious to see where all the gyrations take the city, as it tries to provide an experience to it's citizens and visitors that matches up to the considerable aura it has in the public's imagination.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
London is easily New York's peer. They are the top two cities in the world in terms of global economic impact.
Agree, anyone who thinks London is not a first-tier peer and challenger to NYC is deluding themselves. In many ways (I'd argue the majority), London is a more interesting and overall better city. And if it's not as influential globally, the difference is minimal.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiglo_2000 View Post
New York is the Great World City.
Chicago is the Great American City.
Los Angeles is the Great American Experiment.

I find the experiment most fascinating by far. And I'm extremely curious to see where all the gyrations take the city, as it tries to provide an experience to it's citizens and visitors that matches up to the considerable aura it has in the public's imagination.
I like that. How about LA is the Great Reimagined American City?

Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You and I are in uncharted waters, CSS: we are on the exact same page on this one.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
It's clear you have limited knowledge about LA and just the Western US in general.
That's City vs City in a nutshell, my man...

Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Which city would that be?
London and London only.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-18-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City