Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times

Advertisements

It’s too bad that possibly nice people in person are hateful to each other over which city is on what tier and making opinion fact. It’s ok to have a civilized conversation but really? No wonder people end up on ignore lists.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
I have zero interest in Chicago or Los Angeles and have no desire to ever see them again at any point in my life moving forward. That doesn't mean I hate these places because I don't, it just means that the planet is littered with so many cities that I don't ever want to spend time visiting two that I have zero interest in, it'll just keep me away from places that I do want to see at some point. So if this thread is meant for us to simply pick and choose the one that fascinates us the most then it stands to reason that my choice would be New York.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't care whatsoever for New York either, as I feel that I can go with another city elsewhere in the world that fits me better and/or fascinates me far more but of the three poll choices given to us in this thread, then it's the only logical one for me to choose from. I like its well roundedness. While it isn't anywhere close to my first choice in a city, I believe that I can make good use of its seemingly boundless features. It's also easier to get to other points in the world from New York, seeing as how well connected the city is to the rest of the world, probably the best in the United States in that regard.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:55 PM

394 posts, read 597,763 times
If I was asked what I think the 3 most important or Alpha cities are in the US I would, without hesitation, name these NY, LA,& Chicago. These 3 really are "the big boys on the block".

Old 08-25-2019, 07:04 AM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
If I was asked what I think the 3 most important or Alpha cities are in the US I would, without hesitation, name these NY, LA,& Chicago. These 3 really are "the big boys on the block".
What about San Francisco? It's obviously surpassed Chicago after building a few skyscrapers, some tech companies and Chicago losing 200,000 people. Now there's only a 1.8 million difference in population and Chicago's core may only now be 3/4 times the size.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
What about San Francisco? It's obviously surpassed Chicago after building a few skyscrapers, some tech companies and Chicago losing 200,000 people. Now there's only a 1.8 million difference in population and Chicago's core may only now be 3/4 times the size.
They are not talking CSA's. You forget CSA boost Chicago's count also to 9.9-million... despite past losses. It is not in the move-to region in the Nation. Having true winters seen as extreme over the coastal cities and of course .... the Sunbelt.

Is the world going to recognize US CSA broader reaches of metros for global measurements? As I generally say. Only DC/Baltimore and SF/SJ. Push CSA regions as if the metro and as one mega-city already.... and Chicago s always the city one city to say it surpassed.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:02 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
They are not talking CSA's. You forget CSA boost Chicago's count also to 9.9-million... despite past losses. It is not in the move-to region in the Nation. Having true winters seen as extreme over the coastal cities and of course .... the Sunbelt.

Is the world going to recognize US CSA broader reaches of metros for global measurements? As I generally say. Only DC/Baltimore and SF/SJ. Push CSA regions as if the metro and as one mega-city already.... and Chicago s always the city one city to say it surpassed.
I think he was talking city proper though and may not be serious.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Ugh what?... Chicago's Loop is the second largest CBD in country after Midtown Manhattan.

For context, Chicago's Loop is ~2x the size of Lower Manhattan which in itself is substantially bigger than SF

Old 08-25-2019, 08:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Ugh what?... Chicago's Loop is the second largest CBD in country after Midtown Manhattan.

For context, Chicago's Loop is ~2x the size of Lower Manhattan which in itself is substantially bigger than SF
Also for context, the Loop is just a portion of Chicago's one core-centric CBD.

This is a direct City of -- Chicago Data Portal link of what CHICAGO defines as its CBD.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

Goes further North of the river today then merely the Loop. Just for clarity as the term CBD was used as if just the Loop.

Again, pictures of the CBD portion
North of the Loop as the city includes.
Outdated because of new buildings now.
Attached Thumbnails
New York + Los Angeles + Chicago ( America's Alpha Global Cities)-streeterville-downtown-chicago-high-rise-skyscraper   New York + Los Angeles + Chicago ( America's Alpha Global Cities)-loft-skycraper-living-chicago-..jpg  

Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Buildings have nothing to do with this sort of thing, and really neither does population growth or lack thereof.

San Francisco's reputation and image in the world, which was already distinct, has been elevated even more due to tech.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I have zero interest in Chicago or Los Angeles and have no desire to ever see them again at any point in my life moving forward. That doesn't mean I hate these places because I don't, it just means that the planet is littered with so many cities that I don't ever want to spend time visiting two that I have zero interest in, it'll just keep me away from places that I do want to see at some point. So if this thread is meant for us to simply pick and choose the one that fascinates us the most then it stands to reason that my choice would be New York.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't care whatsoever for New York either, as I feel that I can go with another city elsewhere in the world that fits me better and/or fascinates me far more but of the three poll choices given to us in this thread, then it's the only logical one for me to choose from. I like its well roundedness. While it isn't anywhere close to my first choice in a city, I believe that I can make good use of its seemingly boundless features. It's also easier to get to other points in the world from New York, seeing as how well connected the city is to the rest of the world, probably the best in the United States in that regard.
I think that’s a fair comment. I have the same feelings about a number of cities. The world is a big place and you only have one life. Onward and upward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City