Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

But Northwestern isn't in Chicago. And UofC is technically in Chicago, but nowhere near the urban core. There are no elite universities around the core in Chicago either.
What on worth does that even mean? First off: Northwestern is in Chicago. Within the heart of the city. NU considers itself to have two main campuses. The downtown campus houses law, medicine, other professional schools as well as Northwestern Memorial Hospital

Evanston neighbors Chicago to the north. It is incredibly tied to the city. CTA el and bus lines go through Evanston as well as Metra

I consider Northwestern being Chicagot just like I see Havard as Boston, Miami as Miami, BC as Boston, WUSTL as St. Louis, SMU as Dallas...in every case, a university in a close in suburb associated with the city

The U of C is “nowhere near the core?” In what way? Hyde Park is an urban and urbane place along its shores, high rises line the lakefront. Jackson Park which is home to the Museum of Science & Industry and the to be built Obama library are in Hyde Park

Chicago never would placed such instiutions far from the city core

NOLA, you really need to get in touch with NU’s marketing department. They brand the Wildcars as Chicago’s Big Ten state. Appartently they don’t know what they are talking about

Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
What on worth does that even mean? First off: Northwestern is in Chicago. Within the heart of the city. NU considers itself to have two main campuses. The downtown campus houses law, medicine, other professional schools as well as Northwestern Memorial Hospital

Evanston neighbors Chicago to the north. It is incredibly tied to the city. CTA el and bus lines go through Evanston as well as Metra

I consider Northwestern being Chicagot just like I see Havard as Boston, Miami as Miami, BC as Boston, WUSTL as St. Louis, SMU as Dallas...in every case, a university in a close in suburb associated with the city

The U of C is “nowhere near the core?” In what way? Hyde Park is an urban and urbane place along its shores, high rises line the lakefront. Jackson Park which is home to the Museum of Science & Industry and the to be built Obama library are in Hyde Park

Chicago never would placed such instiutions far from the city core

NOLA, you really need to get in touch with NU’s marketing department. They brand the Wildcars as Chicago’s Big Ten state. Appartently they don’t know what they are talking about
Agreed. Northwestern has a sizable Streeterville campus (part of the Chicago core), UIC is an R1 institution with one of the largest and most active medical schools in the U.S. and part of the Chicago core, and U of C is in Hyde Park, a bit removed from downtown, but squarely in the city, and also one of the most elite universities in the world.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:08 PM

795 posts, read 482,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I was over in the European Section of this Forum the other day and was Reading a engaging thread they had about That Big City in England, That Big City in France and That Big City in Italy that's all up in the History Books, and Notice America doesn't have such a Cultured Thread on it's own

So I think this is it, Not Comparing Euros Top Alpha Cities But America's (New York Los Angeles Chicago)
The Only Thing though is that in Europe the #1 Position is sorta debatable and makes for a good read
...In America not so much
The One that Comes in #2 Will be Tantalizing

Most Fascinating Not Necessarily The Best of America's Alpha World Cities
- Most Intriguing
-Best Looking ( city or metro)
-Most Fascinating

I voted for New York City. I remember my first visit there stepping out of Penn Station and just being amazed and overwhelmed both at the same time. All the pedestrians, cars (and yellow taxis) and skyscrapers it is definitely a city apart from all of the others. For a city with that many people it was particularly clean, the locals were very friendly to us Bostonians, and it has a LOT to offer tourists (history, entertainment, etc). I love NYC.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:15 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
What on worth does that even mean? First off: Northwestern is in Chicago.
Northwestern is in Evanston, obviously, which isn't the Chicago city limits. The fact that they have some classes in Chicago doesn't mean they aren't in Evanston. Major universities have locations all over the place, but every single undergraduate program, and almost every graduate program, is based in Evanston.

I mean, using your criteria, Cornell is in NYC, and DC. Stanford is in NYC, and DC. Cornell has three colleges located in Manhattan.

If you want to consider Northwestern "Chicago", that's fine, but then you have to also accept that Berkeley and Stanford are SF. There's no difference. None of these schools are based in the city propers.

Quote:
By that logic, Rutgers is in NYC. Rutgers is marketed as NYC"s Big Ten school. So apparently there's no difference between NYU and Rutgers, using your logic.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
GAWC has nothing to do with what we're talking about. They aren't ranking cities by their "world class" aspects. GAWC measures business connections to the UK, essentially. Why would we care about this? UK is a minor country with smaller economy than California.
Well the OP references ALPHA Global cities. The GAWC ..... is the listings that use Alpha beta etc. So for that it IS RELAVENT to the thread.
Quote:
Northwestern is in Evanston, obviously, which isn't the Chicago city limits. The fact that they have some classes in Chicago doesn't mean they aren't in Evanston. Major universities have locations all over the place, but every single undergraduate program, and almost every graduate program, is based in Evanston.

I mean, using your criteria, Cornell is in NYC, and DC. Stanford is in NYC, and DC. Cornell has three colleges located in Manhattan.

If you want to consider Northwestern "Chicago", that's fine, but then you have to also accept that Berkeley and Stanford are SF. There's no difference. None of these schools are based in the city propers.

By that logic, Rutgers is in NYC. Rutgers is marketed as NYC"s Big Ten school. So apparently there's no difference between NYU and Rutgers, using your logic.
Your baaack. Ready to lessen Chicago like old times.

But -Edge25 explained it clearly. There is a downtown branch of the University for Medicine and its Hospital and Law School.

The Chicago campus is a series of several buildings occupying a 20-acre lakefront site including buildings that house Kellogg School of Management, the School of Law, the Medical School, the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University and the School of Continuing Studies.

From Wikipedia:
- This list of Northwestern University buildings encompasses the two campuses of Northwestern University: Evanston, Illinois and Chicago, Illinois.
- The Evanston site has approximately 150 buildings on its 240-acre (0.97 km2) campus. Many of these buildings are located on the Northwestern University Lakefill.
- The downtown Chicago campus, of approximately 25 acres (100,000 m2), is home to the Feinberg School of Medicine and Northwestern University School of Law.

* Yes, the main Campus is technically ..... outside of the city limits. But you can't be closer to the city then it is. ---- Just over the border. NOT MILES FROM IT and a few suburbs away. The 12-mile reference used. Is from downtown Chicago.

You really should notice it does say TWO CAMPUSES OF. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Old 09-07-2019, 09:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Knight Frank list of Global cities for 2019 chart. A HIGHLY RESPECTED ranking.
But they do not use the Alpha term etc.
Chicago is ranked 8th and those boosting SF.... it ranked 22nd and dropped 2-placings from last year. But SF is high in the future Global Outlook rank. But still dropped 2-placings. NYC had a HUGE drop in Future Outlook. Just still in the Top 25 at 24th. Chicago isn't in the Top 25 Future Outlook list any longer. But remains 8th today and did not drop. But I expect Beijing to move up at 9th this year. That may drop Chicago in coming years.

To those who want to bring in Chicago losing people...... well guess you can use it against mighty NYC NW too. The thread is running in the NYC forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-than-any.html

A Knight Frank chart from their link.
But lessen Chicago Globally all you want anyway.
I am not saying the 3rd in the poll is wrong. But this respected ranking stands.
Attached Thumbnails
New York + Los Angeles + Chicago ( America's Alpha Global Cities)-ac-kearney-2019-global-cities-rnkings  

Last edited by DavePa; 09-07-2019 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 09:44 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:

Well, you definitely hit a new low. Now we find that Northwestern’s Chicago campus is a branch. I’m only surprised you didn’t suggest it was the University of Northwestern at Chicago.

Let’s try this again, NOLA. Northwestern does not have a main campus. Northwestern has two main campuses. Do you really think Northwestern’s Evanston campus has the same relationship with its Chicago campus is the same as the relationship you mentioned with Cornell and Stanford

And if it is so unusal to even consider a university could have two main campuses, then how to you explain UIC which contains two, the former Circle and the med school campus

How about the Univ of Minnesota? Is Mpls the main campus and St Paul a branch?

And let me get this straight: yu are comparing Chicago’s relationship with Northwestern with New York? Seriously?

And the largest of the bizzaro world here: you are arguing with Chicagoans about things that have to do with Chicago...and you say you know more about us than we know about ourselves

If we had a discussion about Tulane’s relationship with New Orleans, I would defer to you. You know far more about New Orleans as I do

Yet you end up thinking you know more about Chicago than we Chicagoans do

Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Come back when there is not a lame ass 2 am last call in SF, and BART runs 24/7. SF is very beautiful but is smug, provincial, and unbelievably over-priced for what you get in terms of urban amenities compared to Chicago . . .A LOT of what makes SF a global city is outside the city: Silicon Valley aka Shallow Alta - not in SF. The best Universities - UC Berkeley, and Stanford, not in S.F. Chicago also has much better fine art museums, theater, ballet, opera, cultural institutions generally, and beaches where you can actually swim in the summer without a wet suit. I much prefer the East Bay, but SF is okay... That weird combination of up itself and filthy: used needles outside the Prada store. A certain charm: Basically a failed Montessori school for grown-ups. You are welcome to it. Los Angeles is a hundred times more interesting.
Scathing and succinct...and I agree with almost everything in it. San Francisco is one of the most overrated places anywhere...

Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
And the largest of the bizzaro world here: you are arguing with Chicagoans about things that have to do with Chicago...and you say you know more about us than we know about ourselves

Yet you end up thinking you know more about Chicago than we Chicagoans do
This seems to be an epidemic here. This very thing happens with Virginia all the time, nearly every time Virginia is discussed on here lol...

Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Scathing and succinct...and I agree with almost everything in it. San Francisco is one of the most overrated places anywhere...
Its always bizzare to me how San Francisco is the only city that gets credit for its entire CSA and no other city really does.

Imagine saying Princeton is in NYC or Brown is in Boston. It’s absurd but SF gets to claim Google, Apple, Stanford etc which are 30-40 miles away. People will say things like “MIT is technically in Cambridge”. But using that logic SF doesn’t have an Airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City