Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:17 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This seems to be an epidemic here. This very thing happens with Virginia all the time, nearly every time Virginia is discussed on here lol...
Don't give me that nonsense! You are spreading false news!

Everybody here knows the famous line, "Yes, Santa Claus, there is no Virginia". Mr. Jefferson had the book with that original quote in the collection in the library at his university in Blacksburg.

I find the whole Northwestern-isn't-Chicago thing to be a riot. Here's a guy who thinks a highly prestigious university has its highly prestigious medical and law schools on a "branch campus" on a site opened in 1908 (when nobody had even heard of a branch of a college).

I'd like to be able to share this reality with NOLA, but unfortunately nobody knows where to find him. He drove out west to check out Stanford University and he has been riding around in circles, endless trying to find a hotel to stay at in downtown Stanford, California. Some suggested he might want to try neighboring Pao Alto, California, but he insisted that was not in any either Stanford or connected with Stanford.

Meanwhile poor old Charlie is riding forever neath the streets of Nawlins, the man who never returned.

Last edited by edsg25; 09-08-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 11:01 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its always bizzare to me how San Francisco is the only city that gets credit for its entire CSA and no other city really does.

Imagine saying Princeton is in NYC or Brown is in Boston. It’s absurd but SF gets to claim Google, Apple, Stanford etc which are 30-40 miles away. People will say things like “MIT is technically in Cambridge”. But using that logic SF doesn’t have an Airport
Though there’s also people who get extremely angry for expanding DC out so far that it starts melding with Baltimore.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:10 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its always bizzare to me how San Francisco is the only city that gets credit for its entire CSA and no other city really does.

Imagine saying Princeton is in NYC or Brown is in Boston. It’s absurd but SF gets to claim Google, Apple, Stanford etc which are 30-40 miles away. People will say things like “MIT is technically in Cambridge”. But using that logic SF doesn’t have an Airport
Absolutely bizarre, for sure there's a lot of exclusions and qualifying given to SF on here. It is for sure an important and major city, but there's a lot of reaching and adding that goes on for SF that isn't equally applied to most other places...

Old 09-08-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Absolutely bizarre, for sure there's a lot of exclusions and qualifying given to SF on here. It is for sure an important and major city, but there's a lot of reaching and adding that goes on for SF that isn't equally applied to most other places...
Here's the thing I find strange about that.

San Francisco is a major alpha global city, a standout place by any measure. So there is no question it has an exceedingly high profile. And you and the other poster are right: the Bay Area is about a lot more than SF. Who knows....maybe the fact that the bay is the same name as the city gives "San Francisco" and more blanket identity and makes it obvious one is speaking about Oakland and San Jose as well.

But here is what is strange in the Bay Area: by any measure I can see (and I do know the area well), San Francisco stands out in a lesser way in the Bay Area than it stands out in a national or even global framework. In many parts of the Bay Area, SF is not sense as the core. The only parts of the Bay that are strongly attached to the city would be Marin as well as the northern portion of The Peninsula. In San Jose/Silicon Valley/South Bay and in the East Bay....not so much.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Northwestern is in Evanston, obviously, which isn't the Chicago city limits. The fact that they have some classes in Chicago doesn't mean they aren't in Evanston. Major universities have locations all over the place, but every single undergraduate program, and almost every graduate program, is based in Evanston.

I mean, using your criteria, Cornell is in NYC, and DC. Stanford is in NYC, and DC. Cornell has three colleges located in Manhattan.

If you want to consider Northwestern "Chicago", that's fine, but then you have to also accept that Berkeley and Stanford are SF. There's no difference. None of these schools are based in the city propers.

By that logic, Rutgers is in NYC. Rutgers is marketed as NYC"s Big Ten school. So apparently there's no difference between NYU and Rutgers, using your logic.
Now you're just being pendantic and tiresome. By almost any measure, NW, Univ. of Chicago, and UIC (but UIC is not elite) are core Chicago schools. They are both in highly urban areas, linked directly to the city, and both have substantial campuses in downtown Chicago. If Chicago did not exist, neither would they.

I would not see why you could not include Stanford and Cal. Berkeley as San Francisco schools though Berkeley is more of a stretch seeing it's essentially in Oakland (or next door).

Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 PM

553 posts, read 408,937 times
Speaking of San Francisco receiving credit for anything within 100 miles of it, it's funny that The French Laundry is considered a S.F. 3 Michelin-Starred restaurant but they wouldn't even visit restaurants in Evanston or Oak Park which are border-suburbs that clearly share Chicago's built form and are essentially extensions of the city that are more like neighborhoods than separate entities. This would be equivalent to considering an establishment in far-flung Kenosha WI. as being a "Chicago restaurant." Obviously we see the same trend with the universities and corporations previously discussed.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:48 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Speaking of San Francisco receiving credit for anything within 100 miles of it, it's funny that The French Laundry is considered a S.F. 3 Michelin-Starred restaurant but they wouldn't even visit restaurants in Evanston or Oak Park which are border-suburbs that clearly share Chicago's built form and are essentially extensions of the city that are more like neighborhoods than separate entities. This would be equivalent to considering an establishment in far-flung Kenosha WI. as being a "Chicago restaurant." Obviously we see the same trend with the universities and corporations previously discussed.
French Laundry is not classified as an SF restaurant by Michelin. It's Yountville.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Now you're just being pendantic and tiresome. By almost any measure, NW, Univ. of Chicago, and UIC (but UIC is not elite) are core Chicago schools. They are both in highly urban areas, linked directly to the city, and both have substantial campuses in downtown Chicago. If Chicago did not exist, neither would they.

I would not see why you could not include Stanford and Cal. Berkeley as San Francisco schools though Berkeley is more of a stretch seeing it's essentially in Oakland (or next door).
I never understood why it is a stretch for people to see that cal and Stanford have always been tied to San Francisco. Both universities are where they are due to the peesence of SF. Leland Stanford was tied to the SF power structure. Public Cal had its own benefactor, William Randolph Hearst who obviously was tied to the SF power structure too. Historically San Francisco was The City, the only one and both Berkeley and Palo Alto were tied to it. San Jose was country and Oakland little more than an SF suburb, not growing to city status until the influxfollowing the 1906 SF earthquake

I realize that Cal and Stanford are Bay Area universities, ut in many ways, Cal and Stanford have a relationship with SF similiarcto USC and UCLA with LA

Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
NOLA gonna NOLA. WTF @ likening Chicago/Northwestern to NY/Cornell.

*waits for NOLA to reply doubling down on that stupid ish.*

Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I'm ready for the Chicago homers here to unleash the kraken on me. But I don't care. I'll say it anyway. I don't think Chicago belongs on a list of "global cities" with New York and Los Angeles. Miami, San Francisco, Houston, and Washington are all economically and demographically more global than Chicago. Don't confuse population size with global significance. A megalopolis full of Iowans and Wisconsinites is not a global city. It's just a really big city full of Iowans and Wisconsinites.
Just a quick reminder that the OP posed this question, not "what is the most global city":
Quote:
Most Fascinating Not Necessarily The Best of America's Alpha World Cities
- Most Intriguing
-Best Looking ( city or metro)
-Most Fascinating
Based on these critieria, I find it laughable to bring up Houston at all. Same with Miami if I'm being honest. Although they are diverse and international, their histories (both written and manifested in the built form) are unimpressive compared to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City