Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fascinating of Americas Global Cities, Not Necessarily the Best
Chicago 21 15.33%
New York City 75 54.74%
Los Angeles 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:37 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ you continue this Chicago waaaay less still. It's getting to be a agenda. Chicago still can boast of a mediocre nearly 59-milliom tourist RISING EACH YEAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Did you use my post to go on a tangent about Chicago's skyline?

My point was the NYC has a scale of urbanity that far exceeds that of any city in the US. Skyscrapers are only one part of that. Chicago can never win a pure urbanity matchup against NYC, and since urbanity is the real draw of both cities, Chicago will always seem underwhelming by comparison. LA, however, can offer a unique blend of nature and urbanity, which some might say is more "fascinating" than the sheer scale of NYC's urbanity alone.
We ALL KNOW THIS. Who in C-D would not? Some of us know the history and evolution of Chicago., before and after its Great Fire if 1871 and one that still burned a few blocks a few years later. It CHANGE ITS CHOICES that lead to a much more un-attached housing city. It also created a ordinance to basically ban being tenement-style city. That era was also the one the highlighted some tenement-conditions of NYC. Chicago declared all rooms of apartment buildings in neighborhoods. Much have a outside window. It gave rise also to the courtyard apartment building.

90% of Chicago's street-grid has a alley in back. Goggle street-views go down most also. Clicking on streets 1/2 the time you get alleys.

Both LA and Chicago began their own versions of the New American Bungalow for the middle-class rising especially thru the 1920s 30s. LA's Craftsmen Bungalow and Chicago's Prairie-style inspired brick bungalow. Nearly 1/3 the city not including 40s 50s 60s versions. In Chicago. LA left theirs for thru rich-style.

How NYC needs its Urban-density boasted of and other address it for you? I do not know ..... because it is commonly known here.

REALLY THE THREAD HAS BECOME A LESSEN CHICAGO IN EVERY WHICH WAY VS THE ELITE OCEAN COASTAL CITIES.

Comments like everything Chicago has NYC has too. So why would anyone but other Midwesterners even be consented with it is LIKE THE SAME ELITE COASTAL MENTLITY IS ALIVE AND WELL. Few LA basters even need to post. As the East Coast posters boast LA and want to BURY CHICAGO for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I'm ready for the Chicago homers here to unleash the kraken on me. But I don't care. I'll say it anyway. I don't think Chicago belongs on a list of "global cities" with New York and Los Angeles. Miami, San Francisco, Houston, and Washington are all economically and demographically more global than Chicago. Don't confuse population size with global significance. A megalopolis full of Iowans and Wisconsinites is not a global city. It's just a really big city full of Iowans and Wisconsinites.

In any case, I answered New York because it is, after all, New York, and even though Manhattan has been turned into a kind of Disneyfied yuppieland where rich white people live in high rises and unmarried 40 year old bankers live with roommates New York is still New York, and the diversity and urban culture is unparalleled in the US and maybe anywhere.
At least you did not diss LA ...... but managed to even mighty NYC. Chicago you always lessen in threads anyway

But being a Global city is STILL RECOGNIZED IN THE TOP 10. This INSINUATING DOESN'T BELONG IS REDICULOUS and some other motive for some.

GaWC 2018: North American Edition (2019 not out yet)

Alpha ++
- New York

Alpha
- Chicago
- Los Angeles
- Miami

Alpha-
- San Francisco
- Washington DC
- Houston

AC KEARNEY'S yearly rankings In 2019. Has New York, London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong were again the five best. Singapore took L.A.’s # 6 spot. Dropping LA one spot to # 7 Chicago was #8 with Beijing and Washington, D.C. rounding out the Top 10.
Other American rankings included Boston at #21 (vs. 24th in 2018); San Francisco #22 (vs. 20th); Miami, #30 (vs. 31st); Houston, #35 (vs. 41st); and Dallas #43 (vs. 46th).

These rankings by Kearney. Gain even more respect then the GaWC alpha rankings.

https://www.atkearney.com/global-cities/2019

2019 in the World Global rank.
- #1 NYC
- #7 LA
- #8 CHI

Really this Chicago doesn't belong BALKING --- is inaccurate. and is way beneath even LA is UNTRUE IN GLOBAL RANK IN MOST CRITERIA. Here it is -- HIGHLY RESPECTED AC KEARNEY'S YEARLY RANKINGS 2019.

in FUTURE OUTLOOK Global rankings. These cities are ALL 3 DROPPING.
- NYC dropped 22 placings this year alone .... Was #2 last year.
- neither LA or Chicago are in the Top 25 any longer and NYC could drop out next year? Being at #24 this year.

AC Kearney 2019 rankings --
Attached Thumbnails
New York + Los Angeles + Chicago ( America's Alpha Global Cities)-ac-kearney-2019-global-cities-rnkings..jpg  

Last edited by DavePa; 08-16-2019 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Does anyone have a list of annual numbers foreign visitors by US city? I would be absolutely shocked of Chicago was even in the top ten among US cities.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Does anyone have a list of annual numbers foreign visitors by US city? I would be absolutely shocked of Chicago was even in the top ten among US cities.
Of course Chicago is in the top 10 of foreigner visits to US cities. If you don’t know that I don’t know what you’re smoking!!!

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html

https://m.escapehere.com/destination...ign-travelers/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ional_visitors

Old 08-16-2019, 09:38 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Of course Chicago is in the top 10 of foreigner visits to US cities. If you don’t know that I don’t know what you’re smoking!!!

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html

https://m.escapehere.com/destination...ign-travelers/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ional_visitors
Alright, so Chicago slips in at #9 (although that is hardly a resounding refutation of my point--whether Chicago is #9 or #11 it is nonetheless obviously not one of the places foreign visitors look to first for travel, because global visitors think much less of Chicago than Chicagoans and the midwesterners in its orbit of influence think about Chicago). Number nine is about where I'd put it overall among US cities in terms of global influence and importance.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
If asked to rank America's top cities, I think Americans would overwhelmingly rank NYC first and LA second, which indicates that there is a perceived gap between the two. The gap would be impossible to quantify, but there's no doubt people understand a gap exists.

I think the more interesting question is not whether a gap exists between NY and LA (reality and perception), but whether the gap between NY and LA is larger or smaller than the gap between LA and Chicago.
New York vs. Los Angeles:

Huge advantage: New York goes in where the nation began: northeast coast. American before 1776.

Los Angeles:joined the union in around 1848, a year efore the Gold Rush. The only thing of significance that happened within 500 miles of LA in 1776 was Misson Dolores opened in San Francisco

If the two cities were in different nations (which they will be in time), LA will not be spoken of in comparison to New York. Mexico City isn’t. And neither is extremely close by Toronto

Our biases when we see our nation swing eastward

And the distance between New York and Los Angeles in status is far wider than it is globally

And while I recognize that New York and London have earned a tie for the globe’s no. 1 city, those towards the alpha top are recognized as being in a sort of same club.

I would contend that globally the diference not only between NY and LA but both of them to Chicago is far, far closer globally than domestically.

And our thinking will be more and more globally and the concept of nation will grow smaller and smaller

For New York, more so by far, you find a city that is viewed as the dominant city from in one of the largest land masses in the world, a nation globally in third place in both land abd population. Nothing comes close to this and the only example I can think of was ancient. Ancient Rome

New York, more so than any city ever, is predicated on being A #1, king of the hill, top of the peak. New York can’t fall to second place because if it falls to second it isn’t New York

The gap between New York and other US cities didn’t start yesterday. Once New York sailed on the Erie Canal and blew Boston and Philadelphia out of the water, no city was going to touch it

Has any city touched it? No. American cities come in two groups: New York. and...The Rest

New York grew o what it became and is because the US put all its eggs in one basket. And if New York is Snow White, the rest are the 50 dwarfs,

And if they were ‘t then to New York would not be New York.in many ways, New York needs the 50 dwarfs than the 50 dwarfs need it

There is an irony: the very fact that New York is mikes ahead of other US cities is domestically a plus. But internationally if New York is the only truly major city in Anglo America, it puts New York at a disadvantage if the rest is hinterland

New York does better with Los Angeles and Chicago being considered and being alpha cities than if they were not

Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Alright, so Chicago slips in at #9 (although that is hardly a resounding refutation of my point--whether Chicago is #9 or #11 it is nonetheless obviously not one of the places foreign visitors look to first for travel, because global visitors think much less of Chicago than Chicagoans and the midwesterners in its orbit of influence think about Chicago). Number nine is about where I'd put it overall among US cities in terms of global influence and importance.
You can place it at #9 Globally viewed IN OPINION in the US. Still in WORLD OFFICIAL STANDINGS. IT IS TOP 10 YET IN GLOBAL RANK. You keep the Midwest jabs coming too.

We all know how the OCEAN COASTAL CITIES gain the International visitors most. Many make ONE LIFETIME TRIP to the US. The Hollywood/California mystique alive in the world and Mighty NYC is a TOP Global city with London and no one lessens its stature. No LOWLY MIDWESTERNERS ARE.

Chicago gets praise with comments as a -- Beautiful city. Plenty of YouTube vlogs to view and International ones. It's Core especially.

Despite its issues. Every darn thing the city invested in its Core especially. With TOURISM in mind..... was a Success It shines without being overly gritty or superficial. For many decades .... it was not seen as even a US destination city for even Domestic tourist. IT IS TODAY. That means something too. Its placement in US Architecture credits you cannot lessen. Nor its skyline attainment in the world ..... still renown. ALSO --- ITS OFFICIAL GLOBAL RANKINGS. You took it quickly off that to International tourism.

Your earlier post being the first after the OP in this thread. Began with Chicago is way beneath the Glory of LA and NYC to anything GLOBAL you can find.

But this city's setting and placement on majestic Lake Michigan. Is part of its Glory. Nor its skyline to Global rank yet.
NOTHING WILL LESSEN THAT .... SORRY. No one denies NYCs stature or LA's stardom still in the world. You cannot call out any Chicagoan is overly boasting or lessening LA or NYC. They have been HONEST and FAIR.
Attached Thumbnails
New York + Los Angeles + Chicago ( America's Alpha Global Cities)-some-chicagos-skyline...jpg  

Old 08-16-2019, 11:29 AM

124 posts, read 101,924 times
The fact that the same 3 cities have been notable mention/representation for America for 50+ years somewhat solidifies what will continue to be notable mention/representation of American cities for the next 50+ years. Actual stats and homer opinions aside, it's going to continue to be NY, LA then Chi when polling a quick and dirty analysis of US global cities.

The same applies elsewhere, as I'm sure there are way more notable cities in Brazil than just Rio and Sao Paulo. Or in England's case Liverpool and London.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
The fact that the same 3 cities have been notable mention/representation for America for 50+ years somewhat solidifies what will continue to be notable mention/representation of American cities for the next 50+ years. Actual stats and homer opinions aside, it's going to continue to be NY, LA then Chi when polling a quick and dirty analysis of US global cities.

The same applies elsewhere, as I'm sure there are way more notable cities in Brazil than just Rio and Sao Paulo. Or in England's case Liverpool and London.
In the US it’s NYC and LA as far as notoriety really. People may have heard of Chicago overseas, but they don’t know as much of it like they do NY and LA. Those two are our São Paulo and Rio, there’s a gap, and then you have Chicago, SF, DC, Miami, Houston etc with regards to popularity or notoriety/influence.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
You are so right, Foreign, chicago is a global backwater. No one from abroad comes to visit Chicago. Yoy will like this article which proves that Chicago not only gets few foreign travelers but ranks behind Peoria and Rockford in Illinois tourism

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...474318243.html

So you’ve figured out all the variables about the rank order of US cities based on how popular they are?

Did you ever consider that a lot of tourism is clustered. What places could be and are nicely clustered for the German or Japanese tourist:

How about Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco-Anaheim-Yosemite-Tahoe-Napa Valley, San DiegoGrand Canyon Would there even be a Las Vegas short of a dusty desert town if there were no LA? Less than 300 miles, A day trip. No LA and Reno would have been the gambling capital of America

New York-Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Niagara Falls, cape Cod

I happen to love my region, the Midwest. I like our cities, I love our nature. But if you were to ask me what could be clustered with Chicago in the midwest, I have no answer. But I can tell you this: if Chicago, CA, rose from the waters of Lake Pacific aside Big Sur you couldn’t keep the visitors away

How about a sixth city for the northeast corridor. Put it on Lake Atlantic. Call it. Chicago, CT Now I realize as a tour guide to New York and Boston you wouldn’t take your group to see Chicago. But on their own, they would

Not realizing that people arrange trips around a region with numerous attractionsis ignorant. Far more ignorant would be to not recognizewe are talking about cities here. City experience.

By the very list you were supplying, Chicago comes in not ninth but in fifth place. Fifth largest city for tourism

Let’s eliminate some of those “city destinations” you inclued

2 Miami: yes, it does a a flavor and flair to it, but peoplle are there to see Miami. They are there for the South Florida experience. They are most likely to spend more to in Miami Beach than Miami. I imagine South Beach is a greater attraction by far than Anything in Miami. Maybe they’ll spend more time in Palm Springs than in Miami. One thing is sure: at least 90% of their time will be a city on the Atlantic. Miami is not on the Atlantic.

4. Lake Buena Vista gets far more visitors than Orlando. If a tourist goes into Orlando it is to the outskirts at Universal. Does Orlando even have a downtown? Ot that any touist is aware. None of which stops Orlando from being America’s greatest city. It has waaaay more hotel rooms than anywhere else

5. Has the city of Las Vegas gotten a lot of tourism? No. The Strip is outside city limits. Nuff said

8. Waikiki is within Honolulu. Is there anywhere else in Honolulu that tourists go? Is anyone there for the urban experience? Would you rather spend a Hawaiian vacation in downtown Honolulu and Peral Harbor than on a beach in Maui

According to Foreign, the top US city destinations: 1. New York. 2. Los Angeles. 3 San Francisco 4 Wasington. 5. Chicago

And now in closing the most ignorant of all. I’m not really into city bashing. I like them. The bashing is nothing short of cringe worthy So I have to wonder, if you start a quote with “Al right so Chicago slips in at #9...." and ends with “of global importance

Does that tell you more about Chicago..or the person who spoke them?

Last edited by edsg25; 08-16-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 12:29 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
If asked to rank America's top cities, I think Americans would overwhelmingly rank NYC first and LA second, which indicates that there is a perceived gap between the two. The gap would be impossible to quantify, but there's no doubt people understand a gap exists.

I think the more interesting question is not whether a gap exists between NY and LA (reality and perception), but whether the gap between NY and LA is larger or smaller than the gap between LA and Chicago.
If you asked people to rank New York and Los Angeles, I think the majority of people would say NY 1, LA 2. But if you asked a different question, which is what my point centered on, if the question was do you perceive a gap to be between NY and LA, and how large is the gap? There would be a significant plurality (define "significant" how you want to, it wouldn't be a small number) who would say they don't see a gap at all...

Of those who do see a gap, there would be a significant number of them who don't view the margin as substantial. And then of course, you would have some who would...

All the window dressing about why NY's lead is purportedly substantial, as I already addressed in my prior post, has little to no significant bearing in the real world, and to the extent some things do, they get overrepresented on this website. We know what City-Data is, it's not a surprise, and I've enjoyed this board for 8 years because I'm a nerd too, but NY vs LA falls under the umbrella with many other things that are "City-Data reality"...

I'm familiar with people from both cities, and having lived in seven states, I'm familiar with varying degree to people from all over the country. The idea that NY is ahead of LA city to city is more of a talking point in the annals of communities like this, where we dissect cities for fun. My experience has been most people do not think of NY and LA anywhere close to a blowout in favor of NY...

There are people on both sides if this conversation, and as I responded to Res earlier, my opinion/side of the debate is hardly unusual...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City