Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you recommend?
Boise 20 38.46%
Nashville (Brentwood) 32 61.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:09 AM

71 posts, read 71,740 times

Advertisements

After exploring the US for the last year, I *think* we finally narrowed down our choices to Boise and Nashville (specifically Brentwood). I'm not sure how to pick because they are very different. Please provide any insight and which one you would recommend for us.

- Family with 2 children (middle & elementary school) so looking for good schools
- Low crime, safe environment
- Homelessness not a huge problem (not to be rude, but look at downtown Seattle and you'll see why it's a concern of mine)
- Outdoor activities
- Better weather than Seattle (need more sun & warmer weather although still prefer 4 seasons)
- Pretty scenery (close to lakes)
- I prefer a smaller city feel but my husband wants it to be large enough to have cultural opportunities to see plays, opera, pro sports games, etc.
- Moderately conservative
- Opportunities for tech jobs
- Christian faith so would want to have a church home
- Friendly people where we can easily make friends since we won't know anyone in either city

Of course it all depends on where my husband ultimately gets a job, but this will at least help us figure out where we should start looking first. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Boise seems like a good fit based on your criteria, but Brentwood seems like a great fit. It's one of the nicest communities in all of Tennessee with some of the best public schools.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:49 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
My answers based on your criteria:

- Family with 2 children (middle & elementary school) so looking for good schools
Brentwood
Brentwood
- Homelessness not a huge problem (not to be rude, but look at downtown Seattle and you'll see why it's a concern of mine)
Brentwood
- Outdoor activities
Boise
- Better weather than Seattle (need more sun & warmer weather although still prefer 4 seasons)
Brentwood
Even for both
- I prefer a smaller city feel but my husband wants it to be large enough to have cultural opportunities to see plays, opera, pro sports games, etc.
Brentwood
Brentwood
Brentwood and Nashville area is much larger than Boise, more opportunities.
Brentwood opportunities abound.
- Friendly people where we can easily make friends since we won't know anyone in either city
Easily Brentwood and Nashville. Extremely friendly people everywhere.

Nashville and the Brentwood area, easily. Boise is growing nicely, but is a much smaller area than Nashville. Nashville will have more opportunity for everything really.

I'd pick Brentwood.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
What's the OP's budget? Brentwood is expensive these days. It's a great place to get your Ferrari or Lamborghini serviced, though.

Personally, I would prefer Franklin walkable to the center of town over Brentwood, not that anywhere in Williamson County is a bad spot.

I ski. That makes Boise mildly interesting. Without looking at prices, I'd think Boise would be a heck of a lot more affordable than Brentwood.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM

71 posts, read 71,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What's the OP's budget? Brentwood is expensive these days. It's a great place to get your Ferrari or Lamborghini serviced, though.

Personally, I would prefer Franklin walkable to the center of town over Brentwood, not that anywhere in Williamson County is a bad spot.

I ski. That makes Boise mildly interesting. Without looking at prices, I'd think Boise would be a heck of a lot more affordable than Brentwood.
You would be surprised how expensive housing is becoming in Boise. We could get way more for our money in Brentwood than Boise. The good news is the Seattle market is also insane so after selling our house here, either city will be fine.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Brentwood. Boise use to be more affordable, but is now a good bit over the national average in COL following the lead of most areas of the West. Brentwood is a nice area and located in a great metro with so much to offer. Bright future. Very family oriented. I do like Boise as a small metro. Brentwood/Nashville is awesome as well with more to offer.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:13 PM

60 posts, read 98,663 times
Speaking as someone who lives in Boise, is from GA and has spent time in TN but not necessarily Brentwood:

Boise is definitely a great family oriented city. Schools in Idaho aren't amazing in general but the Boise area's are pretty good.
Boise is very, very safe. No 'bad' areas to speak of.
Boise definitely has them, but they're rare and definitely not a huge problem as of now.
- Outdoor activities
Boise easily.
Brentwood easily. Boise has six months of amazing weather and six months of really cold weather, far colder than Seattle. I'd take the southern humidity and milder winders of TN for sure.
Boise has very pretty scenery. The foothills/mountains are literally minutes from downtown, there's an amazing river that runs right through the city, and there's a reservoir called Lucky Peak Lake up in the foothills. Further out, you have the jawdropping Sawtooth mountains and Redfish Lake. Coming from Seattle, none of this scenery is going to be super impressive, but it's far more interesting in my opinion than anything near Nashville or even Eastern TN, which to be fair is very nice in its own right.
Brentwood is probably a better bet for the cultural opportunities due to its proximity to Nashville. Boise has stuff, but it's lacking, especially if he needs pro sports. Personally I love going to concerts, so it hurts that so many bands skip Boise due to its size and isolated position.
Both work for this. Idaho tends to be a little more on the libertarian side of conservatism, but you might prefer the bible belt-ish brand, so it depends.
The Nashville area is bigger, so there will be more jobs. Boise definitely does have them though.
I'd say Brentwood. Again, bible belt. LDS is the largest religion in the Treasure Valley, so keep that in mind.
My opinion on both Idaho and the South in general is that people are very outwardly friendly, but it can be hard to break into that inner-circle. That might just be because of my personality though. I think you'd do fine in both places.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:36 PM

195 posts, read 194,977 times
Boise is probably more expensive than Nashville now.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Do you want snow? Can you live through a couple months of high humidity? Do you prefer to stay closer to Seattle? Those would be some good questions to help you decide.

We live in Brentwood, and it has top notch schools and pretty much every family activity you could want. Tons of great churches. And it’s really pretty. The city has done a great job maintaining green space and historical homes. Lots of parks connected by trails. Plus Nashville of full of activities- 3 major league teams, tons of concerts, etc.

But if you want snow or can’t stand humidity, then it wouldn’t be a great fit.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM

52 posts, read 36,321 times
I’ll go with Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City