Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Florida City
Orlando 16 27.12%
Tampa 29 49.15%
Jacksonville 9 15.25%
None of then 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:33 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,890 times

Advertisements

I really don't mean to Offend anyone who is partial to Tampa. Believe me we have a never ending rivalry between Houston and Dallas in Texas. So I fully understand how people get offended when someone says that the rival City is better.
All I am doing is looking at the facts and right now the facts make it look like Orlando has a more prosperous future in the foreseeable future. Tampa is also a great choice it's a wonderful place too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 PM

402 posts, read 369,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just a glance at the city core developments should be enough to paint the picture. The Orlando core/Downtown area, along with directly adjacent areas, is booming, and is currently leaps and bounds ahead of the other two cities in terms of activity and infrastructure. It’s really not a close one.

I personally am fond of the Tampa area, especially St-Pete, but it’s lagging behind quite significantly. Jacksonville is just a different type of city. Not really comparable.
When you say Jacksonville is different, am I that correct when I assume you mean lagging behind the other two?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,890 times
Default Yes, Jacksonville is different

All 3 places are different but Jacksonville is more different than Orlando and Tampa. Jacksonville is not a bad place but only South of the St. John's river. The North Side of Jacksonville is definitely the worst area in all 3 Cities. Then of course Jacksonville is a smaller place and further away from all the Florida stuff. Orlando has a lot of the Florida attractions so it is ground zero. Also Jacksonville can get a bit cold in the Winter. Again Jacksonville is not a bad place to go. You would of course live on the south side near the st John's Town Center and of course be far away from the drama on the North side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
When you say Jacksonville is different, am I that correct when I assume you mean lagging behind the other two?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Orlando is the obvious winner here. Pretty much not even a debate?? Orlando is obviously the objective strongest city of the 3

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
If there’s one thing that really annoys me about Orlando, it’s that in some areas, it looks like a bomb filled with people exploded in midair and dropped thousands of people in random pockets, scattered around a massive area, with little to no cohesion. Outside of Downtown/Winter Park/Maitland, and the I4 corridor through Seminole County, the scattered blotches of development with green swamps in between are just plain ugly. The Northern part of the Tanpa Metro suffers from a similar issue, but to a lesser extent, and everything in Pinellas County is pretty much consistently developed. Jacksonville is also a bit more cohesive than Orlando. I guess it’s why, to many, Orlando kind of still lacks an identity.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Jacksonville isn't bad, but largely doesn't feel that Floridian (pockets do, but overall, not that much), and has much more of a South Carolina/Georgia (not Atlanta, but elsewhere) feel to it. The pace of things just seems slower, although areas near and south of the river are pretty nice. The beaches are very underrated too (Atlantic Beach especially, which is to the north of Jacksonville Beach). But overall, the economy and the drivers of the economy are just very different from elsewhere in FL, giving it a different feel. A lot of it was also built earlier too, but then modern development is pretty patchy, so it just is different. Not worse IMO, but less Floridian.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Jacksonville's economy is doing pretty well. And tourism is growing. But it doesn't have the tourism or snowbirds/retirees that the other two do. That's one reason for the different feel. It's much more of a young family type of city and also has the lowest COL.

Objectively speaking I find Orlando and Tampa to be fairly even for young professionals and a good bit ahead of Jax.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Tampa. Much better location. More interesting in general than the other two.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Tampa. Much better location. More interesting in general than the other two.
Definitely better location.
More interesting? I'm not too sure about that. The Metro area is bigger than Orlando's, but it feels like it's half the size (population.)

Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 PM

402 posts, read 369,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Definitely better location.
More interesting? I'm not too sure about that. The Metro area is bigger than Orlando's, but it feels like it's half the size (population.)
For young professionals, I am ideally here people comparing Downtown Orlando vs Tampa's Channelside. Which is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City