Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Salt Lake City vs Austin
Salt Lake City 37 50.68%
Austin 36 49.32%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:29 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Austin was up in this poll 11-2 at one point.
Just do a search for Austin and read the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
I live in SLC and love it here. It’s definitely underrated.
I like SLC more as well.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I like SLC more as well.
Tell us about your experiences there. You're a notorious Austin hater, but tell us your experiences in SLC.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:49 PM

603 posts, read 930,997 times
I picked Salt Lake. It is my favorite place among the cities I've lived in. I grew up in a very small town in the Ozarks of Arkansas. I loved that area for the access to nature but wanted very much to live in a city. Salt Lake City was the first city I moved to. I knew some people there so it made for an easy transition but even without those friends, I would have fallen in love with Salt Lake. I loved living in a city with plenty to do, but also have access to the mountains. Just a quick 20 minute drive from where I lived and I could be surrounded by towering mountains and feel like I was all alone in the world. I guess I'll always be that small town boy at heart. Cities can stress me out so I love getting away from them.

I was also impressed with how orderly Utah was. Sure, go into the mountains and things are wild there, but in the cities it is completely different. Wide streets are laid out straight north-south and east-west where possible, have numbers instead of names, making it impossible to ever get lost. The climate was very dry but through water storage in the mountains and irrigation in the valleys, the cities are quite green. In general, I've always loved fall for the changing colors of the trees but in Salt Lake, spring was my favorite season. The valleys green up beautifully after the winter starts to fade but the mountains still have hundreds of inches of snow pack. The combo of the green valleys with snow capped mountains was stunning. I've seen others mention Austin being greener. I guess they think that because of the much higher rainfall. In reality, drive around Austin right now and see how green it is where people aren't using sprinklers.

I've lived in Austin many years now. It's great in many ways, more of what most people on here seem to want in a city. Downtown is more residential and more focused on adult entertainment. If you idea of a good time needs alcohol, Austin is definitely the better place to be. The economy is stronger, although SL is also quite good. Austin has a far more impressive skyline.

Where would I rather live? Salt Lake City. It has everything I could want in a city and things seem easier there. The roads are better and growth, while fast, has not been explosive so traffic is almost relaxing compared to Austin. It seems cleaner, safer, less expensive, better access to nature. It gets less attention nationally and I find that a positive too.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I was in SLC last month. They measure their alcohol. It is impossible to get drunk at a bar there. Keep that in mind.
Yeah, and you can't order two drinks at once either. BS.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:46 PM

229 posts, read 217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Yeah, and you can't order two drinks at once either. BS.
You can if you order two different drinks. Yes it’s a stupid law.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
Downtown: Austin
Walkability: Tie(ish)
COL: SLC mostly because Austin prices are going pretty crazy
Economy: Austin, but both are quite strong
Recreation: SLC
Climate: Tie(ish) but slight edge to SLC due to less crazy heat in summer
Architecture: Unsure
Bars/Restaurants: Austin by a mile
Suburbs: Austin
Transportation: SLC for both car and public
Skyline: Austin
Scenery: Slight edge to SLC
Where I'd rather live: Austin

Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Austin is in the lead, which isn't surprising, but only by 2 votes as I am typing this, which is definitely surprising.

I don't have experience with either city but my personal preferences would be for SLC since it is a dry climate. Not a fan of the humidity back East (and the harsh winters that come from the eastern cities with tolerable summers). SLC seems like an ideal climate to me in addition to world-class scenery all over the state of Utah. My only concern with SLC would be the religious component as I would not want to live in a LDS-heavy community (I'm an atheist and would not want to feel isolated wherever I choose to live) but you can avoid that in certain SLC neighborhoods, you just don't live in Provo. That's fair enough to me.

With Austin it would be the affordability and pay scales for jobs out there, in addition to the humidity. Austin outside of those three seem like a neat city, I know many working there in IT and have great lives.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 PM

130 posts, read 86,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Austin is in the lead, which isn't surprising, but only by 2 votes as I am typing this, which is definitely surprising.

I don't have experience with either city but my personal preferences would be for SLC since it is a dry climate. Not a fan of the humidity back East (and the harsh winters that come from the eastern cities with tolerable summers). SLC seems like an ideal climate to me in addition to world-class scenery all over the state of Utah. My only concern with SLC would be the religious component as I would not want to live in a LDS-heavy community (I'm an atheist and would not want to feel isolated wherever I choose to live) but you can avoid that in certain SLC neighborhoods, you just don't live in Provo. That's fair enough to me.

With Austin it would be the affordability and pay scales for jobs out there, in addition to the humidity. Austin outside of those three seem like a neat city, I know many working there in IT and have great lives.
I am non Mormon living in SLC, I’m liberal, gay and in my 20s. Moving somewhere with a heavy religious influence is the last thing I’d ever want to do so I understand that. Many people from Utah and the surrounding states actually choose to move to SLC to escape the religious conservatism of the surrounding areas. I grew up a few hours away, and SLC was always the destination for anyone that was different or didn’t fit in to LDS culture( gay, ex-Mormon, liberal etc) which creates a bit of a counterculture vibe. SLC currently has an openly gay mayor and has not elected a Mormon mayor since the 80s and a Republican mayor since the 70s. A recent poll showed that the majority of SLC residents identify as liberal and only 25% of the city is LDS (~60% of the state is LDS).

It’s going to take a while to shake the image of being a conservative, religious city. The SLC economy is very strong and the city is changing rapidly, 6 new high rises downtown are planned to start construction this year and next. Although I do think think that Austin has a better economy/job market.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 11,677 times
These two cities are so different it's really up to one's preference in lifestyle. Austin has a young and fun vibe with live music and parties whereas SLC is a clean and pleasantly nice place. Weather is also very opposite. One city is very liberal and the other is more conservative. One thing I don't like is that Austin has a lot of aggressive homeless people. I don't ever remember seeing homeless people in SLC. SLC is very well kept but if I was in my early 20's, it would seem boring to me. Commercial buildings seem nicer in SLC whereas Austin seems older and more run down. SLC is great for mountains but Austin is great for Lake Travis and rivers while being close to the gulf. Traffic wise, Austin is very congested. SLC drivers seem very aggressive but things do seem to move. Austin has better bbq. In fact, arguably the best. Both cities are the capital of their state. Both conservative states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City