Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:06 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post
Yes exactly, even aside from having nothing to do with this list of cities, the key characteristic of Gen Z is that the group is more digitally connected doesn't mean much. There was a difference in Gen X and Milennials from a tech perspective, for the most part millenials grew up with the internet as a constant presence, milennials were the first generation to grow up with cell phones as teenagers etc. As of now, there hasn't really been a game changing technology that redefined daily life that made Gen Z childhood vastly different than Millennial childhood.

I would think a more definite difference, especially in context of how Gen Z selects cities, is that they grew up with walkability, expensive, gentrified urban cores being a fact of life, when millennials were children, many cities were in rough shape and boomer parents were huge proponents of suburban life.

But, I work in marketing and am around people who think and talk about these things way too much anyway haha.
I beg to differ. Gen Z is the first generation to grow up with social media from birth. Not a "groundbreaking" technology, but certainly a life altering one.

I am a Millennial and social media didn't become extremely mainstream until I started college (yes, there was Facebook and Myspace, but absolutely nothing like today). I can't imagine what its like for kids in middle school and high school with the amount of social media and connectivity there is, I think it will expose / age kids faster (however you want to view it).

Millennials had a good mix of the good ole 90s and early 00s and now the constant connectivity and ever changing world of 2019. The tail end of Millennials have a good amount in common with Gen Z, but a Millennial born in 1990 has a childhood with next to nothing in common with a Gen Z born in 2000.

Gen Z grew up in the ever changing world and there are positives and negatives to that.

However, I don't see how any study could show what Gen Z "wants" in a city, when most of them are in still in middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:49 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
i don't think gentrification is the cause of that; i think the main reason is that it became oversaturated with black folks who moved there with a bad game plan or none at all and unrealistic expectations coupled with the beating it took during the recession which resulted in a bunch of "oh don't move to atlanta" stories. Plus there are other cities that have made major strides in the past ten years or so that have also become more appealing to black folks.
this. 👆🏾
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City