Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are the yuppie families with kids?
Denver 22 26.51%
Raleigh 12 14.46%
Salt Lake 13 15.66%
Suburban New Jersey 12 14.46%
Twin Cities 11 13.25%
Pittsburgh 5 6.02%
Suburban Detroit 4 4.82%
Boston 13 15.66%
Houston 8 9.64%
Austin 23 27.71%
Chicago 11 13.25%
Atlanta 21 25.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 01:26 PM

817 posts, read 599,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think it's very common to have more than 2 kids these days.
It's not. But I'm just wondering where it is a little more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 05:30 PM

130 posts, read 86,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Well, Spokane is in that list too, so I wouldn't consider it anything to gloat about.

"Hipster" came and went years ago. That is so 5 years ago.
If anything positive is said about SLC, you’ll always show up to talk it down. Every single time.

It ranked only based on the categories it mentions, which are things that are undoubtedly trendy currently. A big reason it ranked high is because SLC has a lot of vegan restaurants for its size, it has 11 compared to Denver’s 9 and Boise’s 1 for example.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 AM

817 posts, read 599,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No young person uses the term "hip".
My wife and I are millenials and we use the term hip.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:43 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
If anything positive is said about SLC, you’ll always show up to talk it down. Every single time.

It ranked only based on the categories it mentions, which are things that are undoubtedly trendy currently. A big reason it ranked high is because SLC has a lot of vegan restaurants for its size, it has 11 compared to Denver’s 9 and Boise’s 1 for example.
Interesting. I never knew that vegans or vegetarians were considered "trendy" since this option has been preferred diets for many people for years and years.

Referring to "lists", Boise was recently ranked as one of the best cities for vegans and veggies in the nation (Salt Lake was not on the list) because of the impressive number of locally owned restaurants that have meatless options and many use locally sourced organic produce...all of this in addition to the completely vegan restaurants, which there are more than one lol.

If you look through the thread, there are many people questioning SLC. Have you ever been to Spokane? It is a NW city and IMO has a true hipster vibe you are not going to find down in the SW.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 10-08-2019 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think it's very common to have more than 2 kids these days.
I’m seeing more and more affluent families having three kids. I can think of five families in my friend circle with three kids. They all have household incomes over 300k.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I never knew that vegans or vegetarians were considered "trendy" since this option has been preferred diets for many people for years and years.

Referring to "lists", Boise was recently ranked as one of the best cities for vegans and veggies in the nation (Salt Lake was not on the list) because of the impressive number of locally owned restaurants that have meatless options and many use locally sourced organic produce...all of this in addition to the completely vegan restaurants, which there are more than one lol.

If you look through the thread, there are many people questioning SLC. Have you ever been to Spokane? It is a NW city and IMO has a true hipster vibe you are not going to find down in the SW.
If you don’t think vegan diets are trendy right now, you must be completely out of the loop.

As a vegan who has been to both cities, Boise is not a vegan friendly city. Please list the purely vegan restaurants in Boise, there was one that went strictly vegan a couple months ago, along with a new toast restaurant I just learned about. I follow multiple vegan groups in both areas, people from Boise come to SLC all the time for the vegan restaurants. Most vegans prefer not to eat at restaurants that serve both meat and meatless options due to cross contamination. These options are usually for the omnivores who are trying to reduce their meat intake.Feel free to check this site for the number of vegan/vegetarian/ veg options restaurants in each city https://www.happycow.net/. It’s not even close.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
If you don’t think vegan diets are trendy right now, you must be completely out of the loop.

As a vegan who has been to both cities, Boise is not a vegan friendly city. Please list the purely vegan restaurants in Boise, there was one that went strictly vegan a couple months ago, along with a new toast restaurant I just learned about. I follow multiple vegan groups in both areas, people from Boise come to SLC all the time for the vegan restaurants. Most vegans prefer not to eat at restaurants that serve both meat and meatless options due to cross contamination. These options are usually for the omnivores who are trying to reduce their meat intake.Feel free to check this site for the number of vegan/vegetarian/ veg options restaurants in each city https://www.happycow.net/. It’s not even close.
Lol. I am aware of what is available and there are a lot of vegan/vegetarian options in Boise, some of these restaurants have been featured in national publications. And yes, some of these restaurants also serve tasty locally grown, organic, free range meat which is all of the rage in the hip circles Every hip person who is "aware" knows where their food and meat and veggies come from. This is what makes Boise a great foodie city.

That being said, just because SLC has vegan restaurants doesn't make it trendy or hip. Vegan diets have been around for longer than we have been alive.

Please quote and question other people in this thread who made comments about SLC and stop trolling me.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 10-08-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2019, 02:28 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
My wife and I are millenials and we use the term hip.
Millenials are olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m seeing more and more affluent families having three kids. I can think of five families in my friend circle with three kids. They all have household incomes over 300k.
Yes and I've seen poor people with 6 kids. Point?

Old 10-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Lol. I am aware of what is available and there are a lot of vegan/vegetarian options in Boise, some of these restaurants have been featured in national publications. And yes, some of these restaurants also serve tasty locally grown, organic, free range meat which is all of the rage in the hip circles Every hip person who is "aware" knows where their food and meat and veggies come from. This is what makes Boise a great foodie city.

That being said, just because SLC has vegan restaurants doesn't make it trendy or hip. Vegan diets have been around for longer than we have been alive.

Please quote and question other people in this thread who made comments about SLC and stop trolling me.
You replied to my comment first? I did reply to them. lol

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
This is a strange thread with very strange comments. I'm not convinced any one of you have ever met a young family recently or talked to anyone born later than like...1985. I am cringing so hard at this thread right now.

Hip

Last edited by LordHelmit; 10-08-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City