Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Waikiki 44 93.62%
Coney Island 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,473,391 times

Advertisements

Waikiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,487,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Coney Island is one of those places where you take the train out there once to see. After you've seen it once, you realize it isn't worth the hour+ train ride from the city to go see it again.

Waikiki is a place you spend a small fortune to stay for a week and fly 11 hours from the East Coast to get to. At the end of the week you ask yourself, "Man I wish I could stay longer".
So true. I’ve always wanted to go to Coney Island and my wife encouraged it when we were visiting her family. After I was over it in less time than it took us to get there she said the exact same thing you did. I’m there usually a couple of times a year and I don’t ever see myself going back.

Oahu on the other hand. I’ve been there more times than I can recall off the top of my head, and will continue to go.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

33,046 posts, read 36,664,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I voted Coney Island because I honestly have more interest in visiting Coney Island at this point, given that I've been to Waikiki before and not the latter, and I'm not much of a beach person. I like the idea of visiting an urban coastal town and the classic sort of vibe Coney Island might have.

That said... surfing and swimming? Oy...
I wouldn't go in the water there.

If you want waves, go to a beach facing east. In that area, New Jersey, Delaware, or Maryland will do.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 8 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,130,083 times
Reminds me of this thread.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,091,326 times
I've never even visited Waikiki, but from pictures alone I'd pick it over Coney. While there were great efforts to smoothen Cyclone (at least when I last rode it in 2014), the rest of the park is one big bucket of overpriced "meh". I appreciate the history behind the place, but there are plenty of other amusement parks I'd rather visit again.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:31 AM

10,267 posts, read 16,018,687 times
How is this even comparable. Coney Island has history and all but the actual beach isn't even among the best in the nation. Literally every single beach in Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, and California is better than Coney Island. Even the Maryland and Virginia beaches are better than Coney Island.

I've read that Waikiki isn't even a natural beach and the sand is imported from California.

The best beaches I've personally visited in the US are.....

1. Bahia Honda, Florida (Bahia Honda Key in the Keys)
2. Sombrero Beach - Marathon, Florida
3. Pensacola Beach, Florida
4. Navarre, Florida
5. Playalinda Beach, Florida
6. Dana Point, California
7. Malibu, California
8. Kona, Hawaii (Hawaii really doesn't have many sandy beaches naturally but the coastline is pretty)
9. Gulf Shores, Alabama
10. Orange Beach, Alabama

Runners up would be Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil HIlls, NC and Myrtle Beach SC. I've not been to Folly Beach or Kiawah Island but know those are great too. Coney Island is no better than the Jersey Shore.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,214,640 times
only vaguely aware of an existence of a beach at Coney Island

https://www.huladogkuhiohonolulu.com/

Old 10-17-2019, 05:45 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,735,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't go in the water there.

If you want waves, go to a beach facing east. In that area, New Jersey, Delaware, or Maryland will do.
Which would you say is the best beach in those places that also has sort of an urban, connected to the BOS-Wash corridor kinda feel?

I do like the increased waves of the Atlantic Coast as opposed to where I am now, for reference.

I’ve done a couple trips to Miami area recently as a result. I like the feel of Hollywood Beach, with the town strip right there without having to cross the street unlike even in Miami Beach. I also really liked the water quality and almost Island feel of Cape Florida State Park at end of Key Biscayne.

I know beaches up there are different, but Im from up north and generally enjoy them just the same.

I really liked visiting Ocean City MD. Virginia Beach was a bit too suburban and generic in feel still comparatively , I visited Rockport, MA, nice town, but beach was a little too rocky and water a bit too cold to really enjoy in typical beach terms.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM

142 posts, read 117,582 times
There many great reasons to go to NYC but going to the beazh isn’t one of them.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 PM

10,784 posts, read 23,955,220 times
I'll take a beach in Maui or eastern Long Island, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City