Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Only Georgetown and Downtown, really. Georgetown has some, but it also has a lot of detached structures: like the 2nd and 4th examples. The 1st and 3rd example are definitely neighborhoods I've never walked around in DC with cool rowhouses. Are the one's in the 5th technically rows? with the garages and such? Not apartments?
As far as I know, row homes in DC are few and far between with the exception of a few areas within those neighborhoods. Most of the DC that I've navigated looks/feels a bit more like Chicago, with very dense, really polished SFH/multi tenant stand alone units with beautiful tree canopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 12:48 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
While those modern ones are more for an average person, Philadelphia still does build rowhouse mansions for the rich.

I am honestly not a huge fan of the modern look, I don't care for ones like this
Love that gray example, and I kinda dig the one you don't like as well if I'm being honest.

Here's a zany new one put up in Southie recently.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:00 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As far as I know, row homes in DC are few and far between with the exception of a few areas within those neighborhoods. Most of the DC that I've navigated looks/feels a bit more like Chicago, with very dense, really polished SFH/multi tenant stand alone units with beautiful tree canopy.
Uh, no. 25.3% of housing structures in DC are 1-unit, attached compared to 3.4% in Chicago. And you have to remember that a lot of rowhouses are technically 2-unit flats since they have separated basement apartments.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 PM

209 posts, read 234,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ok, I’m starting to get a little confused by this thread. DC has row houses galore. We’re not on baltimore or philly’s level, but DC has many different styles from different eras. Row house neighborhoods include Georgetown, Columbia heights, Adams Morgan, Bloomingdale, Trinidad, Petworth, bright wood, Capitol Hill in and of itself is HUGE, logan and DuPont circles, and even more neighborhoods.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Uh, no. 25.3% of housing structures in DC are 1-unit, attached compared to 3.4% in Chicago. And you have to remember that a lot of rowhouses are technically 2-unit flats since they have separated basement apartments.
yea theres a couple people saying DC doesnt have rowhomes when im pretty sure that the most if not second most common type of housing there. t spretty chock full of them..

Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Ok, I’m starting to get a little confused by this thread. DC has row houses galore. We’re not on baltimore or philly’s level, but DC has many different styles from different eras. Row house neighborhoods include Georgetown, Columbia heights, Adams Morgan, Bloomingdale, Trinidad, Petworth, bright wood, Capitol Hill in and of itself is HUGE, logan and DuPont circles, and even more neighborhoods.
Well, he said "most of the DC I've navigated." Upper Northwest DC fits that description. It has a more Chicago-like feel to it.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:18 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
yea theyre very common in more neighborhoods than one would care to list....

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9058...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9293...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9416...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9531...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8909...7i16384!8i8192

Old 10-24-2019, 01:24 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can't really think of any bowed rowhouses in Philly.

yeah, I can't really think of any blocks off the top of my head really where the front of the house is bowed out. DC and Baltimore come to mind first when I think of that style. Philadelphia's curves are more octagonal

Quote:
There are some houses with conical turrets, but they are not rowhouses.

Idk about that. There are a lot of examples of conical turrets through center city, north philadelphia, and west philadelphia. West Philly has the most, but a lot of houses in that part of the city are duplexes.

Quote:
Baltimore does have bowed rowhouses and probably has a bit more variety overall in terms of its rowhousing despite being much smaller than Philly.

Maybe, I truly do not know. Philadelphia has a lot of different types, and I obviously have a lot of pictures lol.. One little area I always thought was unique was the english village in rittenhouse.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Idk about that. There are a lot of examples of conical turrets through center city, north philadelphia, and west philadelphia. West Philly has the most, but a lot of houses in that part of the city are duplexes.
There aren't a lot. It's more like a house here or there. "A lot" would be some neighborhoods in DC where most houses have them.

https://goo.gl/maps/HX5y3BLRGMit1D958

Quote:
Maybe, I truly do not know. Philadelphia has a lot of different types, and I obviously have a lot of pictures lol.. One little area I always thought was unique was the english village in rittenhouse.
Baltimore has most of the same rowhouse styles as Philadelphia (or at least it's very similar). But it also has a lot of housing that resembles DC's.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:42 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Here are some photos (taken by me) of Boston rowhomes (or brownstones??).
This is perhaps because I'm a Philly girl, but I'd only categorize your third picture as what I would typically think of as a rowhome.

My picks are Philly and Baltimore, based on my definition of what constitutes a rowhome. New York and Boston have brownstones. Not sure how I would classify the housing in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City