Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best sunbelt sports city?
Houston 4 6.45%
Dallas 31 50.00%
Los Angeles 16 25.81%
Miami 1 1.61%
Atlanta 6 9.68%
Phoenix 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 12:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Just for the record, I'm a born and bred South Carolinian and a lifelong Lakers fan. If I ever move to LA, me rooting for the Lakers would not be anything new whatsoever.

Just wanted to put this out there because you never know what the future may hold.
Good to know. You can use this post in your deposition to prove you're not a bandwagon fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 12:17 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Good to know. You can use this post in your deposition to prove you're not a bandwagon fan
Let me go ahead and put you on retainer.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So the sun doesn't shine on the ocean?

Cities can have more than one identifier you know. Boston is both Northeast and East Coast. Cleveland is both Rust Belt and Great Lakes. New Orleans is both Southern and Gulf Coast. Phoenix is both Sunbelt and Southwest. And so on and so forth.
I didn't say that it didn't but L.A. is set more on the coast line than a lot of Southern ciites. Also, Cleveland is Rust Belt (I hate that word), Great Lakes and Northeast.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:32 PM

22 posts, read 9,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
The OP meant which Sun Belt city is the best sports city, not which city is the best sports city in the entire country. L.A. isn't a Sun Belt city, it's a Coastal city. Plus, it's been almost 10 years since L.A. has won a championship (2010 Lakers).

I agree with you on Miami, they have a nice amount of titles but their fan support is terrible. Their fan base has a lot of fair weather fans too; but to me Florida's fan base is terrible and fair weather. They only support the teams only when they doing good. But, that's to be expected because there's a lot of transplants in Miami. So, most of the transplants are still going to fans of their hometown teams. Most of them are not gonna move to Miami and start cheering for Miami teams. Or, the Miami residents feel that they're too cool for school to go to a game because they have to get to the beaches and clubs on South Beach.

The Kings won Stanley Cups in 2012 and 2014. They had a 297 game sellout streak that ended last season.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:46 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Dallas easily wins this, although by national standards, it is not super. Atlanta, Miami, and Phoenix are especially anemic for their sizes.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:17 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Out of the cities in the Poll, Dallas is the best sunbelt Sports city. Of course, there can be differences between the major sports.

Atlanta has to be the worst sunbelt sports city...the teams there have little support or fanbase, outside the Braves.

Miami also doesn't seem big on sports. The Dolphins were quite popular in the 80's and 90's, but not really any more and their attendance shows that. Same for the Marlins and defintley the lowly Panthers. The Heat are also a fair weather fan base.

Dallas loves their Cowboys and they have a huge following. The Mavericks are also popular, so I voted Dallas. I don't consider LA or Phoenix to be "Sunbelt Cities".

For cities, left off this poll, Nashville would have to be the most popular NHL team in the Sunbelt. They love the Predators in Nashville...Titans, not so much.
Um, have you ever heard of Atlanta United? Record breaking attendance, even against international teams. The Falcons also have a solid fan base although it certainly pales in comparison to The Cowboys.

I’m not going to argue who is the worst, but I will correct you in saying it’s not Atlanta.

Carry on.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:26 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I would say Dallas.

Hard for me to consider LA for different reasons—afterall, it has/had a reputation of baseball fans showing up in the 3rd inning and leaving by the 7th inning to beat traffic and it did have 2 teams leave for other cities and was without the NFL for nearly 2 decades before it finally returned. To call it fair weather would not be a stretch—if the Lakers sucked for an extended period like the Knicks would they still sell out as the Knicks do??

Old 10-25-2019, 06:31 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I never county L.A. as a Sun Belt city because it sits on the Coasts and they're by the Ocean.
Interesting. Do you consider Miami and other Florida cities to be sunbelt?

Old 10-25-2019, 06:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Dallas, because I don't really consider LA a part of the Sun Belt, to me that generally stops at the end of the Texas Plains, or esp. before hitting CA.
I tend to use anything below I-40 as the Sun Belt, sure there are exceptions to that "rule", but it's a quick and easy point of reference.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fante 90042 View Post
The Kings won Stanley Cups in 2012 and 2014. They had a 297 game sellout streak that ended last season.
Oh yeah. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City