Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 03:03 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_supremacy View Post
I'm not gonna lie, those pictures put Austin in a favorable light, even over Houston and Atlanta. I hate to say it. So snapshots like that, yeah Austin probably wins. But overall city, Atlanta wins handily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
These are much better pictures. Its no denying its a beautiful city but like other say Austin attractions are closer in and Atlanta are more all over its metro. I still dont see anything strikingly better in either city but Atlanta being so green and consistent puts it over the stop
I agree, I think Austin is underrated in this thread but Atlanta has the consistency that Austin can’t match as a whole. Both are very beautiful/scenic cities imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 04:49 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
...Austin...Atlanta...Both are very beautiful/scenic cities imo
Indeed.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:57 AM

35 posts, read 20,983 times
This video is a bit old but shows off some of Rough Hollow in Lakeway pretty nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJ6cnseVh0

Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
True about South Austin. I forgot about that. South Austin is almost as hilly as west Austin. San Antonio actually was much more hilly than I expected it to be. North and Western San Antonio are pretty hilly. North Central SATX along 281 is pretty hilly as well after you get south of I-410.

To be fair we get a lot of flack for being flat but Texas is far from the flattest state in the country. We aren’t the most prestigious when it comes to scenery but we aren’t lacking hills. The flattest state in the country is Florida but I seldomly hear anyone complain about it
The Llano Estacado is insanely flat, and also largely treeless, which lets you really recognize just how flat it is. Houston is also quite flat, but with many trees and buildings of course.

Anyone saying any part of Austin is flat, I have to disagree with however. I know this because I live in Austin and am an avid cyclist... (Lance Armstrong famously lived and trained here in between EPO injections when he was winning the Tour de France).

As far as Austin scenery, I saw this post on Reddit yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ews_in_austin/

What's the comparable view of Atlanta?

Last edited by whereiend; 11-24-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 01:49 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The Llano Estacado is insanely flat, and also largely treeless, which lets you really recognize just how flat it is. Houston is also quite flat, but with many trees and buildings of course.

Anyone saying any part of Austin is flat, I have to disagree with however. I know this because I live in Austin and am an avid cyclist... (Lance Armstrong famously lived and trained here in between EPO injections when he was winning the Tour de France).

As far as Austin scenery, I saw this post on Reddit yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ews_in_austin/

What's the comparable view of Atlanta?
I know you are pretending to ask an inncent question because you dont think Atlanta has what Austin has then some but here are some examples along the Chattahoochee in Atlanta at that.
Atlanta is wooded and hilly especially on teh North end so hard to find a drive where you can see you open vista but plenty of hiong trails where you have vistas like that
https://www.hikingproject.com/photo/7023297

Old 11-25-2020, 09:57 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I agree, I think Austin is underrated in this thread but Atlanta has the consistency that Austin can’t match as a whole. Both are very beautiful/scenic cities imo
Most of the praise in this thread has gone to Austin. Yes, West Austin is beautiful but we’re comparing entire metros here and I don’t think the rest of Austin holds up to what Atlanta offers.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:14 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Really tall trees are so overrated. You can’t see anything over them. I like to be able to see the land and cityscape from various angles.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:48 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Really tall trees are so overrated. You can’t see anything over them. I like to be able to see the land and cityscape from various angles.
Well, then Atlanta is definitely not the place for you.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
" I like to be able to see the land and cityscape"

There are many points where you can see over tall trees in any city. Even the trees in Austin are much taller than you or I.Its not like the trees in Atlanta are Redwoods. I think people mean not only that the trees are taller than those in Austin but are "fuller" and more dense.Even then you see the same type topography in both cities as far as hilly wooded terrain but Atlanta has it more in abundance and thicker.Every tree would have to be a level size for you not to be able to see the unless by land you mean patches of brown and green grassland . In Atlanta a patches of green grass is called a "park".lol
If this was a Albuquerque vs Atlanta thread ,I would get your point but you are talking about two more similar cities than they are different.
Its fine if you prefer Austin I just find that statement as to why was odd.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:41 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. It makes me feel claustrophobic or like I’m in the woods rather than a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City