Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 02:09 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
actually most of those places are fairly close

But Remember were comparing Atlanta and Austin were there drastic population and size difference, Saying 5 minutes of downtown Austin is one thing because Austin MSA is only 2 million plus. but it doesn't for Atlanta, because Atlanta has multiple suburan counties above 500k and 200k etc. So you can't just go well that not close enough to DT Atlanta because in Atlanta even outside the city your still talking of millions people, To millions of people those scenic areas are in there backyard, reguardless if that's 5 minutes of downtown.

Atlanta DT location was choosen because of overall region is very hilly, and full of creeks and rivers. The piedmont region which atlanta spans across is basically a giant hilly slope. The Northern half is more hilly there even smaller mountains inside the Metro, People brought up Kennesaw MT and Stone MT but there actually a lot more. Especially in Cherokee, Forsyth, Bartow counties. While lower half ends near the Atlantic coastal plain fault line. but this has an effect on water Drainage, being at the bottom end of the Appalachians Metro is spilt by the Eastern Continental Divide This cause Chattahoochee and Oconee basin. So not only do you have this two rivers but the Signiant numbers of creeks and artery bring water to them.

A lot of this stuff is very lowkey but Atlanta actually has a lot of Recreational stuff going across the metro because the environment for more then most metro areas.

The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area is actually next door to Atlanta.
https://cdn2.atlantamagazine.com/wp-...oneuseonly.jpg

There some of trails in metro Atlanta
atlantatrails

Panola in Henry County, again there a lot of little mountains, this actually in the south metro
https://arabiaalliance.org/wp-conten...or-website.png

Some of Atlanta suburbs look story book like even with Cookie Cutter homes,
https://patch.com/img/cdn/users/3394...2f4164f462.png

So this maybe not 5 million from DT, but 5 minutes away from millions of people.
Atlanta's downtown location has little to do with its regional geography. It was chosen because it was formerly a major railroad hub named 'Junction' and its core expanded from that section of which is now 'Underground Atlanta'.

Fair points regarding proximity to recreation from much of the metro. I personally feel there are more recreational venue's north of Downtown though as that is the direction of most of the Chattahoochee recreation venues, Lake Cherokee and Lanier, and the Blueridge, aside from Stone Mountain Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 02:10 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
This is an interesting comparison. My first reaction is that Austin has higher highs but also lower lows. West Austin is truly gorgeous. It's arguably the most scenic region of Texas Hill country. The way the hills roll right into the river. The lakes. Many homes have a spectacular view of the skyline. It also has a good mix of southwestern and deep southern flora. East and North of the city is pretty flat and kind of prairie like. Though not as pancake flat as Dallas or Houston. Atlanta has great access to the Georgia Blue Ridge which is very scenic also some great views to the North of the city. The Chattahoochee river is pretty scenic though not as much as the Colorado river in Austin. It still has some great parks and views. I think Atlanta has more/better tree cover than Austin. The trees are taller and denser. Overall I'd pick Atlanta. It's more consistent. Sure the southern part of the metro is a bit less hilly than the northern part. However it's not a dramatic drop off. Austin is more diverse. I'm just not a fan of prairie scenery. If it's going to be flat I'd rather it be coastal plain.

The other problem with West Austin that nobody has mentioned yet is that it's really pricey. It's also the only truly scenic part of the metro. Atlanta has better more affordable access to nice scenery.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
The other problem with West Austin that nobody has mentioned yet is that it's really pricey. It's also the only truly scenic part of the metro. Atlanta has better more affordable access to nice scenery.
Now this, I can definitely agree with. Atlanta offers much more in terms of affordability for nature outlooks and you dont have to throw away your 401k on property taxes after you buy the place. Austin is nigh California levels in Western Austin. The only people moving out that way are

-- Ex-Austinites who are sick of the transplants moving into the city.. So they sell their homes they bought for $50k - $150k 30 years + ago outside of Downtown that appreciated to about $700 - $800k - sell it then put most of it in a larger house in Lakeway, Bee Cave, Steiner Ranch.

-- Out of state transplants who are selling their million dollar Californian / New York / New Jersey / Massachusetts / homes and buying in cash... typically retired or remote workers.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:49 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Atlanta's downtown location has little to do with its regional geography. It was chosen because it was formerly a major railroad hub named 'Junction' and its core expanded from that section of which is now 'Underground Atlanta'.

Fair points regarding proximity to recreation from much of the metro. I personally feel there are more recreational venue's north of Downtown though as that is the direction of most of the Chattahoochee recreation venues, Lake Cherokee and Lanier, and the Blueridge, aside from Stone Mountain Park.
Actually, there is a specific reason behind where Five Points and the rest of downtown is located. Most of the region is very hilly which would be bad for a rail terminal but Downtown is mostly flat land. Five Points also sits directly on the Eastern Continental Divide. (rainwater that falls on the south and east side of the divide flows into the Atlantic Ocean, while rainwater on the north and west side of the divide flows into the Gulf of Mexico).

Old 11-29-2020, 12:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Looks like what we have in Austin. I will say Atlanta is a prettier city but Austin has more variety.
Im sorry but I aint buying it ,Variety of cow poop is still cow poop.lol
Im exaggerating but i am serious when I say this variety yall speak of,looks pretty mundane,
Ive never found the grass lands or plains found in many parts of Texas attractive and most people dont accept here in city data. Just a whole lot of brown patches on flay dry looking land

Old 11-29-2020, 01:28 AM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
Atlanta. Much more green.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:55 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Actually, it was named Terminus.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:21 PM

245 posts, read 236,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Not impressed. The trees are lower so you see more of the horizon but these are pretty puny hills.
Because this is a terrible hill country video. There are extremely striking hills all over this Texas Hill country. This video doesn't do it any favors.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Actually, it was named Terminus.
Yea I researched that again after I made the post and realized I messed that up

Old 12-04-2020, 11:49 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
From what I've seen most of the posts are, "Austin's hill country puts the city above Atlanta even though Atlanta's tree canopy is better, but trees are overrated and Austin has trees too so actually it even competes with Atlanta on that ground", yes I'm being hyperbolic but I see a lot of downplaying of Atlanta here.
I guess you see what you want to see. Wish this were a poll, but Atlanta is winning this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City