Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 12:34 PM

747 posts, read 497,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Austin has some beautiful surroundings, but I'm going to have to go with Atlanta. Atlanta and Charlotte are my 2 favorite cities in terms of beautiful tree cover widespread throughout the city. But Austin would be in my 10 in this category.
Agreed. Charlotte's scenery is wonderful and Atlanta is close behind. Both best Austin, which is no slouch in its own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Atlanta and Charlotte also have a better urban landscape in my opinion. Not just natural

Old 11-17-2020, 12:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Atlanta overall, but the hill country in West Austin is more interesting with a California-ish look and I like the fact that there’s water and outdoor recreation right downtown in Austin. It’s very in your face and is a big part of the culture there.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:05 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Atlanta.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:43 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
I'll go with Atlanta. Much more uniformly hilly and better tree cover. The Hill Country seems somewhat barren by comparison and the east side of Austin is prairie.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:48 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Atlanta, especially some of the suburbs located northwest of the city: Vinings, etc

Old 11-17-2020, 06:39 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Atlanta is more uniformly scenic. East Austin looks anywhere Texas. West Austin is very beautiful though. Capital of TX Hwy looks pretty much like a Californian road, same for 620 through Lakeway and Beecave. FM2222 between FM620 and MoPac (Loop 1) is also very scenic. There are views of Downtown along through the hills on Loop 360 that are quite beautiful in Austin. Westlake Hills, Lakeway and Lago Vista areas is also a very hilly, lush and lake filled suburb. West Austin can probably compete with the suburban areas of Atlanta fairly well but cannot compete with Blueridge area.

https://goo.gl/maps/2BVSp5oRTUstcGva7

I would say Austin has some surprisingly very urban scenic areas much closer to Downtown due to Town Lake (The Colorado River) and Hill Country being very adjacent to Downtown. Austin's downtown seems to take on a more unique setting than Atlanta's downtown IMO. Atlanta overall though is far more well rounded as a metro though. Austin has nothing comparable to the Blue Ridge region though. Both cities are actually heavily forested, Austin however turns brown much more regularly and the trees are not as tall. Both cities cater exceedingly to parks, trails, green belts and beltways. I'd say with the exception of Atlanta's beltline, they're about equal overall in this category, Atlanta's Beltline is above anything Austin has in terms of Greenbelts however. Austin however is more conservative about removing trees than Atlanta is which is kind of shocking, but Austin is alot more strict about it.

Overall, Austin is still only in the very beginning of the subtropical zone that encompasses Atlanta (which is deep into it), doesn't receive nearly as much precipitation and doesn't always stay green. Atlanta is overall the more green, forested, and more uniformly hilly city.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:47 PM

955 posts, read 611,163 times
Austin. The scenery is a lot more unique to me. I love the hill country and really like the easy access to water.

Frankly I don't find Atlanta's scenery very interesting.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:55 PM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Definitely Atlanta. Everything Austin has Atlanta has and more

Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Atlanta is more uniformly scenic. East Austin looks anywhere Texas. West Austin is very beautiful though. Capital of TX Hwy looks pretty much like a Californian road, same for 620 through Lakeway and Beecave. FM2222 between FM620 and MoPac (Loop 1) is also very scenic. There are views of Downtown along through the hills on Loop 360 that are quite beautiful in Austin. Westlake Hills, Lakeway and Lago Vista areas is also a very hilly, lush and lake filled suburb. West Austin can probably compete with the suburban areas of Atlanta fairly well but cannot compete with Blueridge area.
East Austin is really nice in the spring. It has deeper soil than West Austin, and much lusher vegetation. I'd say East Austin looks more like Atlanta, actually. West Austin looks more southwestern.

For the comparison, in the sense of easily accessible nature Austin having the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Town Lake directly adjacent downtown makes it competitive with most any city in the country. In terms of day trips, Austin is average overall and probably loses to Atlanta handedly. The hill country is nice, but nothing amazing on a national level, and in other directions there isn't a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City